What Weight will work?

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

I have an old 5wt and an 8 wt and am looking to replace the 5 with something better. If I wanted how large of a fly could I throw? Could I still use Bass Poppers/etc?

Are you using the 5wt for trout also? The 5 should be able to handle your bass poppers/medium sized clousers fine. You could go to a 6wt, but if thats the case just use the 8wt for bass. thats what i do. So i have the option to throw a whole range of bass flies and small muskie flies. But the 5wt should be fine. I throw fairly large cone head buggers and slumpbuster/sculpin patterns with my 5wt just fine. Just my .02$. Im sure someone will have a different outlook.

Yes I would be using it for trout. That has been my thought. A good all around trout and bass rod

If i had to have one rod for both trout and bass. Prolly be a 9ft 5 or 6wt medium to medium fast action.

Thanks. My issue has been that I have a 5 I want to upgrade (not great for me to travel with, use, etc) and in looking at a solution, I was trying to figure out if one of the TFO rods would be my best bet. In the 4 or 5 wt, I was thinking it would be a great solution to using my 8WT only for saltwater (if I get the chance).

Any thoughts on tfo rods?

I cast bass flies with my 9' 4 weight, but it is an IMX and they don't make them anymore. A fast rod will allow for casting bass flies using a 4 weight. I know a lot of guys like the big 7 and 8 weights, but that's not for me, not when I'm out all day. To me it matters more what the size of the stream is when deciding what weight is best. For the 'J' I wouldn't use the 4 weight I'd use the 6, ditto the Delaware at least in the bass water, for casting dries to trout on the upper river I use the 4 if it's not windy.

So a 5 wt would be my best bet?

robkonowitch wrote:
So a 5 wt would be my best bet?

More then likely. TFO are good rods at a decent price. I have one or two of them.

So... going to go with 6wt TFO pro 2

robkonowitch wrote:
So... going to go with 6wt TFO pro 2

That will work just fine.

Thanks. I have just had to justify what I want to fish for and how to get the best for my money...

I want to thank everyone! I just picked up my NEW TFO Pro 2 6 WT!!!

Can't wait to get it out on the water

I see that someone couldn't wait for a dozen replies before they made their purchase. Hopefully your new rod will be just what you wanted it for. Enjoy your new purchase. Take it out in the front yard for some casts so that you get used to it before you hit the river.

What size (Length) did you get?
When the river's or creeks are narrow I love using my 7.6 3wt Orvis Clearwater II. I love it so much I've threatened to take it up to the Salmon River for the fight of a life time. I won't do that since I have an 8wt and a 10wt.

When you know what you want and your wife says yes....

Got a 9 ft 6 wt and took it out on Sunday and caught a Rainbow... Beautiful!!!

I guess your just a tease then!!!

Well... tell me if I should get s 5wt TFO pro special too... Bass Pro sale

Back