What Knot?

A

Alec

Hello I recently put on the cortland slip on leader loops on my line. What should I do as far as attaching tippet goes now i.e. what knots etc.? Thanks

-Alec

alec,

check old threads via the search button on simple subjects such as this in the future. More wealth of info, as some guys hate to rehash info.

however, get rid of that slip on, grab some 30 lb mono, about 7 inches, nail knot one end to your fly line, and make a perfection loops with the other.

Now, when it's time for a new leader, you simply make a perfection loop at the top (butt section), and loop to loop connect. When it's time to add more tippet, use a triple surgeons or blood knot.

welcome to the boards.

Hey thanks alot. The search function is broken at least on my end. Even when I even tried to look up thread through google when I click a link to this site it just takes me back to the index.

EDIT: I tried the search function again and it worked for the first time. Ill have to keep an eye on that.

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=96&keywords=knots+tippet

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

Alec,
You can tie your leader to the Cortland Loop with a simple clinch knot.

Normally, when you put a loop on the end of your fly line as you just did, what you're doing is adapting your fly line to connect to the leader with what's known as a "loop to loop" system. In other words, the fly end ends with a loop and this connects to a similar loop at the butt end of the leader. The advantage of this system is that it allows you to remove the entire leader and replace with a different one. Personally, I don't care much for the loop to loop system and almost never use 'em. If you don't want to bother with this sytem, again, you can just tie the leader butt to the Cortland loop with any basic knot like a clinch knot.

the animated knots link that Tom gave is a great way to learn how to do what knot. I agree with gfen. I use an albright knot however for line to leader connections, and then a perfection loop on the end like gfen said.

TomG..........what a cool site , animated knots is a great idea. I did something similar for a local luremaker i knew i did it the old way by putting it step by step with string on cardboard for him to display in his shop , he was insistent that you needed to use a specific knot to get the most out of the spoons he made.

I use a perfection loop in the end of the leader. Very easy to tie, just make a loop in the end of the leader, make a second loop under the first, take the tag end of the line and put it between the 2 loops. Take the top loop and feed it through the bottom loop and pull it tight. This knot make a straight strong connection in the leader and I've personally used this knot since '95 without it ever failing. It's something like 99% as strong as the line.
Here's a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTSCVlFObHU

I do what Chaz does...I would either get rid of the slip on connector or put a small drop of zap a gap or superglue on it as i have talked to many who have had those things come off. I just use a loop on both the leader and the line and have no problems getting them through the guides. I nail knotted a piece of mono to the end of my once and made a lop in that but I damaged my line some how and remember cutting it off to repair and just went with the loop from the field repair for a very long time. so I just do that now.

To keep things simple, the braided loop at the end of your fly line should work for now. If there is no loop on your leader, tie a perfection loop on the heavy end of the leader. To tie on a length of tippet to the end of your leader, use a surgeons knot. To tie on your fly to the tippet (the end of your leader) use an improved clinch knot.

All knots are shown in the link below. Good luck.

FFing Knots

Back