Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

what brands of combo outfits are ok?

From Bowmansville, PA
Looking to buy a fly rod & reel combo outfit- probably 5 WT.
Should I be looking at Bass Pro, or Cabelas, or Orvis, or______?
Thinking in the $200 range.
I have been using a friends older set up, now want to get my own, but am not familiar with good names in fly equip.
Thoughts?
Thanks
Tom

Posted on: 2012/7/25 19:43

Re: what brands of combo outfits are ok?

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
L.L. Bean and Reddington are good set ups.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 19:48

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From North East PA
Quote:

bassfever wrote:
Looking to buy a fly rod & reel combo outfit- probably 5 WT.
Should I be looking at Bass Pro, or Cabelas, or Orvis, or______?
Thinking in the $200 range.
I have been using a friends older set up, now want to get my own, but am not familiar with good names in fly equip.
Thoughts?
Thanks
Tom

+1 for Sbbecker's comment.

If you are able to attend the Newbie Fish and Chips event at the Little Lehigh Heritage Section this Saturday, you can also take a look at my Cabelas Prestige 5 wt. I think the outfit is on sale for $129 and contains rod, reel, line, leader, rod case, tools and a couple of flies.

Rod has performed well for me and has been called pretty decent by more able anglers than I.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 19:58

From bucks county
+1 on redington. they have some good outfits,the pursuit outfit being the highest quality fitting into you rprice range

Posted on: 2012/7/25 19:58

From Couldn't Care Less
Don't have much info on quality but I have a Cabelas set up. They replaced my original rod w/out receipt when it snapped at the last newbie get together no questions asked. Didn't even have that particular model and they upgraded me with a $180 rod .. who was I too complain

Posted on: 2012/7/25 20:30

From Clinton County, Pa.
St. Croix and Redington both offer good combos.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 22:16

From Lehigh Valley
IMO, St. Croix and Temple Fork Outfitters make quality affordable rods and reels.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 7:51

From Phoenixville Pa
I've been fishing the $100, 5wt 8'6" redington combo for 5 years and it's been great. I have a desire to upgrade because I've become more experienced and want something a bit more tailored to the type of fishing I find myself doing but the redignton will most likely stay in my arsonal.

I've caught 20" stockies and 6" spookies with flies of all sizes down to a #24 trico and up to #10 bugger. Well worth the $$ in my opinion and a great way to pick up the sport. Good luck.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 12:06

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
The 9' 5wt is the typical "go to" first rod for most people in PA. Dries, nymphs and streamers all on one rod. Look for reviews online too of what you want. Get a machined reel if you can. Skip the plastics. No big deal if you don't get a rod case, just make one from pvc at your local hardware store. I broke my first rod due to it not having a case and "placing" a new tv on it in my trunk. (talk about stupid)

Ask plenty of questions too, you'll get more help than you know on here.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 13:00

From Clinton County, Pa.
I would recommend you check out the St. Croix "Rio Santo" outfit. It comes with the rod,cast alum reel, backing,line, leader and a tube. They run about $200.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 15:26

From Bowmansville, PA
Kind of suprised no one mentioned Orvis. Thoughts about Orvis?

Posted on: 2012/7/26 20:46

Price compared to the others, possibly? I dunno, I don't own any Orvis gear. However, I worked for L.L. Bean and will back their product and warranty, and my first rod was a Redington Rs4 combo that I still use and find it perfect for big water.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 20:53

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Quote:

bassfever wrote:
Kind of suprised no one mentioned Orvis. Thoughts about Orvis?

Yeah, Orvis's base model combo (the Clearwater) will run you out of the price range you mentioned in your OP. It goes for about $300. It's a nice rod though.

I'd agree with the recommendations for Redington and Bean. Quality combos from several different model lines for about $200 or less. I have rods from both that are in my starting lineup and aren't just "backups".

Both Cabelas and BPS will get you into full setups for under $100. They're passable for a beginner and you'll still catch plenty of fish with them.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 21:20

From Couldn't Care Less
Quote:
Both Cabelas and BPS will get you into full setups for under $100. They're passable for a beginner and you'll still catch plenty of fish with them.
This caught my eye. If you are experienced and decent, does the quality of the rod matter that much?

I ask because b4 I caught the fishing bug I was an avid golfer. I was ok but have had the same clubs for 12 years with the exception of adding a wedge and/or putter here and there. Technology changes but a quality golfer can score well no matter if their clubs are the latest and greatest or 20 years old .. vice versa if ur not good and/or inexperienced

Posted on: 2012/7/26 21:29

People catch fish with Tenkara. Does that answer your question about quality and catching fish? Crap, people fish with Bamboo! It is a stick.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 21:52

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com