Upper Leighy, through SGL 127

I

IrishEyes

I have found some easily accesable sections of the Leighy in the SGL 127 area down through Thornton. I have a problem with access and although I did not find much stream side bank fishable water, I think this river is wadeable for me.
Can anyone give me some info on theis section. Type of trout, what works? I spent an afternoon just looking at the water and never saw a fish rise or flash.
I had asked about access to the Roaring Brook and did have success scouting it. I think I liked the looks of the Leighy better and hope to concentrate my efforts there. I went there on a Sunday and never saw another fisherman, hope that does not mean much.

The river is stocked in the gamelands where the river is close to the road. Problem is, they don't stay there.

This time of year you can assume the fish are looking for more oxygenated water; i.e. faster water.

If you like warmwater fishing (bass, bluegills) I can take you in my boat. Its just a rowboat with a trolling motor, nothing fancy, but I have a lot of fun with the fly rod.

I fish Wayne County ponds, mostly Long Pond near Honesdale.

I fish this part of the Lehigh alot. This is the place I go to when I only have a little time to fish. It's easy to access and can produce. I break this part down to three section: The first section starts from the bridge into the SGL off of 380 to the third bridge down. I call it the upper section and I would say the easiest to access and wade. This section produces most of the day due to the heavy canopy of leaves over most of this section. Water temps are always a little cooler and there's plenty of shade. The second section starts at the third bridge and goes down to the small boulder dam about 2/3 the way down the road. Here, the river breaks into 2 and sometimes 3 waterways. There are a few feeder streams that enter in this section but it's much harder to wade. There are a few deep pools here that are good for streamers but due to this section being next to the road, it's fished hard by everyone. Last, the section from the dam to the bridge out of the SGL. This section is wider towards the end and reminds me of the Lackawanna. Good early morning (6 am to 9 am) and late evening (7 pm to 9 pm) but not during the mid-days of summer. Too open and warm.

This part of the Lehigh has everything: browns, rainbows and bookies. I've pulled 16+" browns out of there but most of the fish are in the 9" to 13" range. I would say 50% of all the fish I take from here I catch on Zug Bugs for some reason. It has most of the major hatches. I would say, for me, the best dry fly action would be on size 18 BWO's and black ant pattern (parachute style if you have them) but I've caught them on many different types. And finally, I would say the best time to catch them is early. I usually get there around 6 am in the summer and they quit biting around 10 am.

Back