Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Trout fishing question

From York co.
Thanks, I will consider all the advice I have recived here.

I know all about not catching a ton of fish, sometimes my middle name is "SKUNK'' I have been surf fishing for 10 + years with many trips getting nothing. And belive me I also know all about spot burning, I just wanted to be pointed in the general direction
I'm the same way when it comes to the surf, I would'nt tell anyone exactly where to go just a ball park area, you have to put in the time and experience.

Posted on: 2011/1/22 12:40

It's just too cold right now to fish streams. The water freezes in your guides and when that happens you risk breaking a rod. I'll wait until it get's above 30 degrees. I stay local for winter fishing that way I don't waist time traveling during the short days. It makes a difference because you maximize time on the water, you just don't catch as many fish during the winter because they aren't as active.

Posted on: 2011/1/23 21:48

From Eastern PA
Quote:

Stone_Fly wrote:
It's just too cold right now to fish streams. The water freezes in your guides and when that happens you risk breaking a rod. I'll wait until it get's above 30 degrees. I stay local for winter fishing that way I don't waist time traveling during the short days. It makes a difference because you maximize time on the water, you just don't catch as many fish during the winter because they aren't as active.

This is great advice, particularly the stay local thing. If Codorus is a few minutes from you, then taking a few minutes to drive over and spending 30 minutes there will help you get your "fix". I think fishing local streams in the Winter make the most sense.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 0:46

Speaking of ice in the guides, I head chap stick on your guides prevents them from freezing. Yay, nay?

Posted on: 2011/1/24 7:21

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
It helps. But in my experience, it doesn't "solve" the problem.

i.e. if it's 31 degrees, it will significantly extend the time between cleaning the ice out of the guides. After a little while, it'll wear off and all will be back to normal.

If its 20 degrees out, forget it.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 8:09

From York co.
Report for Sunday @ muddy creek.
No fish and cold. But I loved every minute of it.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 12:45

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

JackM wrote:
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Quote:
Approved Trout Water streams are closed from 2/28 until opening day

ATW's AND all areas downstream, unless under special regulation.

I don't think pcray is right. Only the actual ATW is closed to fishing beginning March 1. "Downstream areas" only is of significance in defining what waters are covered by the extended season. Of course, after March 1, there is no extended season, so the reduced creel limit that applied to ATW-downstream-areas is no more and any trout caught in a "downstream area" after March 1 must be returned to the stream unharmed.

That is a good point Jack, and I believe you are correct. You can still fish those downstream areas, but not harvest trout. If asked by a fish cop, I probably wouldn't admit i was fishing for trout, but many have other species that are worth targeting.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 13:53

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
114 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com