Trout eye color

jbomb

jbomb

I have a strange question ... In every picture I've ever seen of trout they eyes generally have a gold or yellow color to them. However, I was out the other day and came across one that appeared to have bluish/green eyes vivid enough to see through the water (it was a big fish). Has anyone seen or heard of this before?

Sure it wasn't a different species, or injured in some way? Or maybe you're just seeing the pupil?

I briefly went through my pics and all the fish I have decent pictures of have yellowish-brown eyes. As in the iris. The pupil itself is black to a deep dark blue, depending I think mostly on the lighting and reflection.

That includes all 3 species. Some of the brookies have eyes that appear much more black throughout, like they lack an iris or something.

I'm positive it was a trout. It must have been blind in it's right eye. It looked to be a milky grey/green/blue color.

[edit] shared a picture with my friend who is wise in the ways of science and biology, and he confirmed that it was a trout that was blind in its right eye.

Milky gray would make it blind.

I agree with Chaz , milky grey , or as you stated blueish would make it blind.

Looking through some photos of trout of the 3 species we have here in PA, all have black eyes, except a blind in 1 eye fish.

jbomb wrote:

[edit] my friend who is wise in the ways of science

So if she weighs as much as a duck..... then she's A WITCH!!!!

Back