trouble casting weight.

B

BigRedChevy11

Hey guys.

Like I said before I started fishing dry small flies to work my way up to the big bugs. Thats actually going great I landed my first brown on a stonefly the other day and had allot of fun. My presentation is still a little rude for trout fishing but that may be due to the 8wt being a little too much for the small flies.

I can get some wooly buggers out pretty good but I am still having trouble rolling over big streamers or anything with weighted eyes. I would really like to fish these flies for some bass on the D but it does me no good to only cast 20 feet in a 300 foot wide river.

Are there any tricks to big flies? Even if I put a ton of power into the cast it still wont roll over.

The leader I was using today was about 7' tapered leader. (started out a 9' but after knots and changing flies its now a lot shorter)

See my post under your other thread. Had to upgrade from krayfish to krayfish2. Inbox was wrecked.

You'd be surprised at what you can catch with a 20 foot cast. Make sure your leader and tippet match the fly you're trying to cast. I don't throw a lot of heavy flies, but I do cast some large ones for bass. Some times I use a furled fluorocarbon leader about 4 feet long with a 4 to 6 foot leader. Most times I'm lazy and just use a 6 to 8 foot piece of fluorocarbon from 10 to 20 lb test

When I fish streamers for bass or trout, they are often weighted with lead eyes. I definitely have to adjust my cast a little to turn them over properly. I think a couple important things are:

Don't rush the back cast. Make sure you feel the weighted fly "tug" on your rod before you start the forward cast. Also, don't underpower the back cast. If you do your loop will be too wide and your forward cast will suffer too.

Usually (for me, anyway) with weighted flies the momentum of the fly itself is the thing that makes it turn over, whereas with unweighted flies the tapered leader is responsible for turnover, which is why (as stated above) you can use a straight mono leader for a lot of bass fishing, esp with weighted flies.

Have you tried a spey cast? There are some good you tube videos on how to do this. You don't need a spey rod to use these techniques.

The typical advice is to open up your loop. This involves a slower stroke, but also a more pronounced rod-tip path from high to lower. But, mostly and mainly, with a lot of weight, you are catapulting the fly at the very back of the rearward path of the fly line. In other words: do not start your forward cast too soon.

As a beginner, work on your basic cast first. But here is some info on a tension cast or Belgian cast for handling weight.

http://midcurrent.com/techniques/the-belgian-cast/

Back