Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Tricos

From Eastern PA
Quote:
I could have sworn I read a Tom R. article that someone posted here about warm, still, summer evenings being great for tricos. I've been fishing them at dusk and have been getting TONS of hits.

I don't doubt that, but are they keyed in on tiny micro caddis, tiny olives, etc, etc, etc? I think we give trout a lot of credit for their selectivity of patterns, but we give them WAY too much credit for dusk/night. It's all profile/silhouette at that point.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 13:25

From Chester County
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:
I could have sworn I read a Tom R. article that someone posted here about warm, still, summer evenings being great for tricos. I've been fishing them at dusk and have been getting TONS of hits.

I don't doubt that, but are they keyed in on tiny micro caddis, tiny olives, etc, etc, etc? I think we give trout a lot of credit for their selectivity of patterns, but we give them WAY too much credit for dusk/night. It's all profile/silhouette at that point.

Jd is right. I'd tie on a big juicy black bugger........not a trike at nite.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 15:18

Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

I agree 101%. I think if they seem something they is reasonable, they'll take interest at it. Especially as evening falls.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 23:12

From collegeville, pa
maybe the evening trico thing is for some western rivers??

Posted on: 2010/9/9 14:41

From Eastern PA
Quote:
maybe the evening trico thing is for some western rivers??

That's a good theory but my research found that is not the case. Referencing Schwiebert's Nymphs Vol 1 - Mayflies - The Major Species and Al Caucci's & Bob Nastasi's Hatches II, all of the tricos seem to have males hatching during night hours - usually between 10:00 PM and 2:00 AM. Females hatch early AM. There is really no discussion of fishing the dun stage. There is extensive discussion of fishing the nymphal stage. Apparently many eastern writers dismissed fishing the early morning nymph stage, while western writers found the higher elevations made fishing them worthwhile. I guess we know where Rod gets his theory now, huh? There has been a big turn among eastern writers who now embrace trico nymph fishing. One thing I did learn in this reading is that apparently the trico nymphs of the LL have an amber coloration to SOME of them. This seems to be limited the LL and there is no explanation to this unique coloration. There are some really great fly recipes for the "Fisherman's Curse".

Edit: Got kind of OT on there at the end. The trico experience is documented in Mexico, Newfoundland, Canada, Eastern and Western US and the emergence and spinner fall patterns are all very similar.

Posted on: 2010/9/9 20:11

From LV
During the earlier hatches of tricos the males do hatch after dark, but once the hatch is established and the days start to shorten they move toward the middle of the day. What this means is that on hot sumer days the spinners will be over the water at dawn, as the summer progresses on cooler days at least, trico spinners fall on the water males first then females.
By Sept. tricos are hatching during the days., I've seen then over the water all afternoon until dusk. Some streams tricos continue until December 1.
As for most spinnerfalls being an evening affair, someone's been smoking the wrong stuff. There are many many spinners that fall during the day and morning.

Posted on: 2010/9/9 20:16

So the general consensus is that there is no consensus?

Posted on: 2010/9/9 20:35

From Eastern PA
Chaz and I are agreeing, there is consensus. You are not differentiating between duns and spinners. Duns start off hatching late night, but move earlier as day light shortens. Spinner falls start early and get later in the day based upon heat. The spinner fall is early in the morning when it is hottest. They get worn out from getting all sweaty with their partners and fall quicker in hot weather. I think this discussion of "evening trico spinner falls" came when you brought the Rosenbaum article into the mix where he is talking about a majority of spinner falls, but not including Tricos in that mix.

Posted on: 2010/9/9 23:44

From Clinton County, Pa.
Right on !!

Posted on: 2010/9/9 23:51

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
93 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com