Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Tips for buying a fly rod

... some of those expensive rods with warranties -- sage txl series, orvis superfine series -- have recently had the latest versions come out, so the previous models were on sale. I bought a closeout orvis superfine trout bum for $300 in jan - new with 25 year warranty. still _a lot_ of money for a fly rod, but the warranty helps, and while you take a bath selling a used fly rod, the premium ones are easier to sell if you want to.

Posted on: 2011/3/1 12:59

Edited by k-bob on 2011/3/1 13:15:40
Edited by k-bob on 2011/3/1 13:16:36

From Garnet Valley, PA
Just trying to lower the avg # of posts.... There are a lot of lurkers on this board and these conversations are usefull

Posted on: 2011/3/1 13:55

Thanks davmul! Yeah, I know people read PAFF without posting, I was just having fun with the stats, which seem crazy -- btw, it's still 2978! :) ... there were many people at the meeting Sat. who read PAFF but haven't posted, and it was nice to meet them.

Good stuff in this thread. First time I've been inspired to use google earth to compare the width of two places I've fished: the upper delaware at junction pool is approx. 420 ft wide, about ten times wider than slate run a long ways up its gorge! And I usually fish places much smaller than slate run...

The longer fly rod with the heavier line is much better at junction pool, but gimme the 7' 3 weight on the brookie stream I fished on sunday. The state survey says its 12 feet wide...

Posted on: 2011/3/1 14:09

Edited by k-bob on 2011/3/1 14:26:04
Edited by k-bob on 2011/3/1 14:28:08
Edited by k-bob on 2011/3/1 14:29:41
Edited by k-bob on 2011/3/1 14:37:36
Edited by k-bob on 2011/3/1 14:38:56

From Eastern PA
Quote:

k-bob wrote:

First time I've been inspired to use google earth to compare the width of two places I've fished: the upper delaware at junction pool is approx. 420 ft wide, about ten times wider than slate run a long ways up its gorge! And I usually fish places much smaller than slate run...

That is an interesting use of Google Earth! I have often wondered about that but never enough to figure it out. I have always replied "It's really, really, really wide".

Posted on: 2011/3/2 14:56

Long,long,long,long way up the Delaware to get to slate run,about 25,000 miles or so.
oops,off topic-sorry

Posted on: 2011/3/2 15:58

From Southwest, Pa
personally, I don't see any relevance in holding or casting a rod before purchasing one, and it's seldom you get to have a unique custom build if you do decide on holding/casting someone else's.

i feel it makes you a more diverse, well-rounded caster if you can pick up an array of rods and within a few minutes, be able to create a loop no matter the flex, wt, or length.

this relfects in my own rod collection. I have a little bit of everything. 2 custom builds built on rainshadow blanks. I spent 140 dollars on just a blank, an rx8+ 9 foot 6 wt because when compared to the rx 6, it was lighter, yet stronger, making it just as strong as some low level 7 wts. that would be rx 6 blanks. For my 6' 6'' 2 wt, an rx 7, I had some modifactions done to the rod blank to make it a bit stiffer towards the handle. I also have a very nice 8' 6'' fiberglass 5 wt for those days I don't need to punch casts through wind or over 40 plus feet... i simply like the feel of a slow rod if the conditions are right for it.

point being, no rod is wrong for any scenario as long as you a.) are comforrtable casting it (which can be attained with practice, not fate), and b.) being concscience about the health of a fish (i.e. fighting fresh steel w. a 5 wt can be done, just immoral).

so, ask yourself, do I want to buy all of my rods in a fast action so I can get every cast to perfection, or learn to cast many different rod actions and perfect my ability to adjust to many situations.

When I first got into the game, the only rod I owned fora while
because of my spare being a broken , was a 9 ft. 5 wt. that was used for everything from freestone wilds to river fishing the Yough. That tought me the importance of learning to use casting lanes in tight areas. This shined through into my casting in areas where I didn't have to worry about such things.... so, back to my orginal conception: become a jack of all trades, but a master of none, and your diversity as a fly fisherman will be wealthy.

Posted on: 2011/3/7 23:10

-Art Lee

From Chester County
Quote:

stevehalupka wrote:
personally, I don't see any relevance in holding or casting a rod before purchasing one, and it's seldom you get to have a unique custom build if you do decide on holding/casting someone else's.

i feel it makes you a more diverse, well-rounded caster if you can pick up an array of rods and within a few minutes, be able to create a loop no matter the flex, wt, or length.

this relfects in my own rod collection. I have a little bit of everything. 2 custom builds built on rainshadow blanks. I spent 140 dollars on just a blank, an rx8+ 9 foot 6 wt because when compared to the rx 6, it was lighter, yet stronger, making it just as strong as some low level 7 wts. that would be rx 6 blanks. For my 6' 6'' 2 wt, an rx 7, I had some modifactions done to the rod blank to make it a bit stiffer towards the handle. I also have a very nice 8' 6'' fiberglass 5 wt for those days I don't need to punch casts through wind or over 40 plus feet... i simply like the feel of a slow rod if the conditions are right for it.

point being, no rod is wrong for any scenario as long as you a.) are comforrtable casting it (which can be attained with practice, not fate), and b.) being concscience about the health of a fish (i.e. fighting fresh steel w. a 5 wt can be done, just immoral).

so, ask yourself, do I want to buy all of my rods in a fast action so I can get every cast to perfection, or learn to cast many different rod actions and perfect my ability to adjust to many situations.

When I first got into the game, the only rod I owned fora while
because of my spare being a broken , was a 9 ft. 5 wt. that was used for everything from freestone wilds to river fishing the Yough. That tought me the importance of learning to use casting lanes in tight areas. This shined through into my casting in areas where I didn't have to worry about such things.... so, back to my orginal conception: become a jack of all trades, but a master of none, and your diversity as a fly fisherman will be wealthy.

All true Steve, we all can LEARN to cast almost any rod by adjusting our stroke to get the most out of the rod. But learning is one thing, while LIKING is another. I still would still recommend that you cast before you buy. While casting in a yard or parking lot won't tell the whole story, it gives you some idea if the rod casts well for you and is suitable for he job you want it to do on the stream.

Posted on: 2011/3/8 7:43

From LV
On the original post, all are points I've been making for years. The most important is the "for me." You have to consider what type of fishing your likely to do with the rod and reel you're buying. One thing I didn't see was anything about matching the reel to the rod, you have to have the correct balance, which to me is feel.
My first rod was a Loomis 6 weight 9 feet IMX, a great rod for big water on windy days, but I hardly ever use it. It is also a great steelhead rod and bass rod, but again I hardly ever use it for that, because there are no steelhead streams near me, and I don't go for bass very often.
The right rod for me is a 4 weght 7 1/2 foot rod for small to medium streams. I'm reluctant to go shorter but I'm considering a 6 1/2' to 6' 9" for very small tight streams. But the 4 weight I can use anywhere except large streams.

Posted on: 2011/3/10 7:26

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
99 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com