Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: tippet visibility and floatant

From Whitehall, PA
LOL.. Guess it's been too many years since I read about it.

A quick bit of research this morning (I don't have the actual Harvey material) inticates that it was beetles Harvey used in his experiments (said to be multiple experiments). The references I was able to find varied somewhat, including the references to the length of tippet used. The references also differed in that some stated George gluded tippet to the beetles, some indicated he "inserted" the tippet into the beetles. The meaning of the experiments remains the same, to learn whether trout would be put off by a length of tippet extending away from the trout food. Apparently, they weren't.

Choose an appropriate fly and cast well.

Jeff

Posted on: 2013/3/3 8:26

Edited by PENZZZ on 2013/3/3 9:19:05

If you use a no-slip loop knot it will help you get away with thicker tippet. Clinch knots are very rigid and can manhandle small flies and impact the natural drift.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 9:15

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Yeah, it was Harvey. I'll have to dig it up this evening, but the story appeared in his book "memories, patterns, and tactics". My recollection could be off, but what I'm recalling was Japanese beetles from a trap. Gluing different size and length of tippet, twine, etc on there, and tossing them into Spring Creek to see what would happen. And the answer was that they were eaten just the same nomatter what was attached.

Lots of things float overhead. They pick out bugs from floating masses of grasses and so forth. Fish simply aren't spooked by tippet, so long as it's moving naturally with the current. But pressured fish especially, if anything looks to be floating UNNATURALLY, it's a problem.

Posted on: 2013/3/4 8:26

From LV
I can't say I've ever had issues with tippet shy trout, I always believed what folks thought were tipper shy trout were trout refusing because of drag on the fly or just the wrong fly.

Posted on: 2013/3/4 15:13

I think that tippet that's too heavy definitely tends to impede the natural drift of a fly, particularly a dry fly. Micro-drag is still too much drag, especially in the case of a tiny fly. Not as much of an issue with caddis or large terrestrials.

A dragging floating tippet sends out ripples that look at least as bogus as a dragging fly. But a sinking tippet may get caught in the water column and disturb the drift, too. I usually grease my entire leader. I think either way, with dry flies the fish can usually see the tippet.

The big question I have: how many times can you put a fly past a rising fish without tipping it off that someone is trying to put them on? I often get the impression that my repeated efforts don't really spook a fish or get it to stop rising. It's more like after a while they're just shaking their head and saying "give me a break"... especially if they've already short-struck at the fly, or I've missed the take.

The hardest thing about fly fishing for me is hooking a fish when it takes. I can't figure out whether I'm doing it too fast or too slow. My guess is that it's neither of those things- it's that I react with too much drama, yanking instead of tugging. It will take some doing to break that habit. I know a medicine that helps, but presently I'm not allowed to take it.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 10:42

Edited by barbless on 2013/3/8 11:00:35
Edited by barbless on 2013/3/8 11:02:33

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
122 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com