Tie tie again

djs12354

djs12354

If at first you don't succeed, tie, tie again.....

Killing time while I wait for Joy to get home and we head out the door again. Thought I would try my hand at a smaller Wooly Bugger.

Tied this with number 10 hook and 4 mm bead. (Yeah, I know it's orange again, but my order of other beads didn't arrive yet and I wanted to try something!)

What do you think of this one?

Attachments

• Mini_Bugger.jpg
    Mini_Bugger.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 8
Great tie Dave. A little fuller tail is all it needs. Keep them coming guy.

Yeah, I thought the tail looked a little thin. That's after I finished, of course. Also wish I had some type of flash material to add into the body.

I wanted to try the smaller size to see if it will be more palatable to some of the trout.

It is sure to catch fish but a fuller tail will have more action. Just remember to critique every step before you move on to the next step. Just remember the only way to tie BETTER flies is to tie MORE flies.

Amen to that. Going to classes on Thursdays at A&G Outfitters to try and learn some more.
I'll be spending time with Dan to pick his brain and Ed has mentioned getting together at the Evening Hatch sometime.
I Plan on trying some more tomorrow after work.

You are off to a great start, and Dan's advice to tie more is the best you can get. I would start focusing on proportions right away. Your hackle looks oversized to me, and it might not extend the full length of the body. But I'm no bugger expert, so take that for what it is worth. On the bead, I might poke fun at it, but not because it is orange. Orange is an interesting color that for some reason seems to work sometimes. Work on proportions an the tail because you want to tie better flys, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that that fly works really well as is.
Mike.

Try a few strands of black crystal flash wrapped before the hackle would give some very subtle flash. Other than that noting else to add. Keep 'em coming.

Oh yea the orange bead makes a nice egg sucking leech!!!!

djs.......... NICE!!!........that WILL work......GO GET 'EM.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

As I look at the flies after awhile, I can see where I can do a lot better I'll certainly work harder on proportions. And consistency.

Looks good to me, if you use it and start getting hits and misses, clip off a little of the tail. I wouldn't tie a fuller tail as someone else said.

And don't ever use orange fly line! Or rock worms for that matter. lol

sweet rock worm! haha j/k. awesome tie, i know what its like to have the itch while you wait for material to arrive. take the hackle down a size or two. anymore i just give my woolybuggers a hackle collar. it gives it a different look. keep tying man!

Went out on the Lackawanna River today with Dan (Moonbeam) and used this mini-bugger to land my largest wild fish yet! :)

It really is a great feeling to have a fish take something you tied yourself.

Another round of thanks to all for getting me involved in fly-fishing and for encouraging my on-going learning process.

You can see the fly in the net and no, the fish was not foul-hooked. By the time I set my rod down and walked around to where Dan was, he had taken the hook out and was keeping the fish in the water.

(Dan - thanks again for the net work and photos!)

HA & Fox - It came out just above the "Honey Hole" ;-) where Dan got his the day we all fished the Lackawanna together.

One of these days we need to set up a Lackawanna River Jam.

Attachments

• LackawannaBrown on the Mini.bugger 02012013.jpg
    LackawannaBrown on the Mini.bugger 02012013.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 02.01.2013.Lackawanna Brown.JPG
    02.01.2013.Lackawanna Brown.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 2
Awesome job guy! Lets see you go one on a nymph you tied, a streamer you tied....... Now go get one on a wet fly you tied. :-D

Congrats, Dave! That is a beautiful brownie. I always enjoy reading your posts because I can sense your excitement and love for this great sport. Keep up the good work!

Well done djs! Getting a wild trout on a fly you tied is fundamental and a great feeling.

That is awesome! Congratulations, it's a wonderfull thing to catch fish with flies you've tied your self,that's a nice looking trout.

delta_dog wrote:
....... Now go get one on a wet fly you tied. :-D

Looks like we've created a monster. :-o

Great job, Dave. Dan showed me some really cool looking wet flies he tied up when we met at A&G - I'm sure he can help you out with some ideas....

Heritage-Angler wrote:
delta_dog wrote:
....... Now go get one on a wet fly you tied. :-D

Looks like we've created a monster. :-o

Great job, Dave. Dan showed me some really cool looking wet flies he tied up when we met at A&G - I'm sure he can help you out with some ideas....

Both Dan's do a nice job at the vise. Dan B has been great about showing me how to fish and to offer tips and gentle critique on my fly-tying efforts.

Did I mention that was the first fish I took on a bugger?

Back