Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Thinking of building a few leaders...

Afish- you might be right about the yinzer hick. I might also try to pick your brain on the leader at the gathering- if you can get off work that is.

steve- where do use 12-15 ft leaders at?

Posted on: 2011/3/4 9:51

From Southwest, Pa
acrist...

I don't divulge all that info publicly, but I surely use them when fishing the yough, meadow and dunbar (late season, low water), and a few other local places. I just like long leaders... even use a solid 9 ft. for freestone wilds.

May I ask why you are so interested?
?

Posted on: 2011/3/4 9:54

-Art Lee

Because they seem long to me.

Posted on: 2011/3/4 9:58

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I'm not a fan of super long leaders, never found them necessary. I pretty much design for 9ft on the big waters, 7 ft ish on the little streams. I'll admit that in cases where I need it, I often add another foot or so of tippet beyond what the leader was designed for, and thus the actual lengths may end up a little longer than that.

As a side note, I think its kind of funny we discuss most of the real fishing issues on the beginner board. It's not a bad thing, it just shows that there's multiple ways to skin the same cat, and that the level at which our styles begin to diverge is right at the beginning. Whatever you decide to do, become good at it, thats the real secret.

Posted on: 2011/3/4 10:21

From Cogan Station, PA
Any recommendations then for material? I've got a few Cabelas bucks burning a hole in my pocket

Mixed reviews on Maxima?

I see price wise, it's pretty decent. Since I'm going to have to buy at least three or 4 spools to make the leaders (8, 6, 4, and 2lb), I don't want to drop serious dollars, but at the same time, I don't want to cheap out, either.

Posted on: 2011/3/4 11:33

Maxima chameleon is seriously stiff, and it has a lot of memory so it coils. But it also lasts forever, and is highly abrasion resistant. I personally think it is ideal for the thick sections of a leader, but would never consider it for the softer business end. I hold to the stiff butt end, soft business end philosophy of leaders.

YMMV.

Posted on: 2011/3/4 11:44

From Cogan Station, PA
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Maxima chameleon is seriously stiff, and it has a lot of memory so it coils. But it also lasts forever, and is highly abrasion resistant. I personally think it is ideal for the thick sections of a leader, but would never consider it for the softer business end. I hold to the stiff butt end, soft business end philosophy of leaders.

YMMV.

So, what do you recommend for the end?

Posted on: 2011/3/4 12:04

A copolymer, which covers most tippet materials. My favorite is Rio Powerflex, I've found it to be the softest material I've tried. That said, if a softer one comes along I'd drop Powerflex in a heartbeat.

Posted on: 2011/3/4 12:55

From Cogan Station, PA
Ok, so if I were to order materials, I would start with something like this?

8lb Mono (Maxima possibly) for the butt
Then what for the mid section?
The end would be, I'm assuming 4x or 5x Rio?

Then I would attach ADDITIONAL tippet (can I just use the same material as what I ended the leader with)?

Very sorry for the stupid beginner questions.

Posted on: 2011/3/4 13:48

First, they're not stupid beginner questions, pretty advanced questions actually, as evidenced by the arguments the experienced guys are having about it. There is no "right" way, and there's lots of perfectly solid opinions out there on how to go about this.

You would start with something like that only if you wanted to be exactly like me, and thats a dangerous place to be, lol.

And I keep forgetting that you want to furl, your 8 lb comment threw me because I use more like 40 lb test as my thickest piece on the butt end, unfurled, a single strand. So, sorry about that again, furled is a different ball game, and I defer to Afish on the taper and size of material, he's the resident furled leader expert. Several pieces of 8 lb furled may be very comparable to 1 piece of 40 lb. I don't know whether the stiff material like Maxima, or a softer material would be preferable, again I defer to Afish.

The "to furl or not to furl" question should only affect the butt end, though. Same idea still applies for the tippet end. I personally prefer soft materials. In my UNFURLED leaders, I use formulas found in books but they're roughly 1/3 butt, 1/3 taper, and 1/3 tippet. I go straight from Maxima to Rio somewhere near the middle of the taper section. YMMV.

Posted on: 2011/3/4 14:30

From SEPA

I found that I've been making my furled butts out of 6# mono, and the middle out of 4# mono.

I'll write up a dissertation on my way of doing it tonight, Afish's picture has his pretty much laid out completely.

And as for them being "stupid," I wish I'd have paid more attention to this when I started. You don't realize how important leaders are 'til you realize you've been doing it wrong for two years.

If I only bought one thing, I'd buy 4# if I fished 4wt and lighter and 6# if I fished 5-7wt.

Posted on: 2011/3/4 14:33

From Pittsburgh
There are many leader formulas available.
I would recommend George Harvey's

Posted on: 2011/3/4 22:21

From Chester County
Quote:

gfen wrote:

I found that I've been making my furled butts out of 6# mono, and the middle out of 4# mono.

I'll write up a dissertation on my way of doing it tonight, Afish's picture has his pretty much laid out completely.

And as for them being "stupid," I wish I'd have paid more attention to this when I started. You don't realize how important leaders are 'til you realize you've been doing it wrong for two years.

If I only bought one thing, I'd buy 4# if I fished 4wt and lighter and 6# if I fished 5-7wt.

dryflyguy wrote:

There are many leader formulas available.
I would recommend George Harvey's

In the upper right of the diagram there are recommendations for mono sizes. 1-3wt = 4lb / 4-6wt = 6lb / 7-8 wt = 8lb / 9-10wt = 10lb. Just a guideline...YMMV.

I use the furled leader as a leader butt really (usually 4-5' long). I often use existing leader formulas (such as the George Harvey one) to finish off the leader. When compared to knotted leaders using hard/stiff mono, I like the furled butts because they are more supple and easier to cast S-curves for less drag, have no memory, and float better. YMMV.

Posted on: 2011/3/5 8:35

From Southwest, Pa
a little on a tangent, but for all those looking to become a guide:

my buddy attended sweetwater river travel's program 2 summers ago... the first thing they did after meeting:

the instructor gave them all a piece of butt section and said, with the material you have in your vest, build a tapered leader in less than 2 minutes.

Posted on: 2011/3/5 13:26

-Art Lee

From Cogan Station, PA
Thanks for the tips, guys. I think I may order up some material here this week.

Posted on: 2011/3/8 11:24

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com