Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Switching flies

From Lancaster, PA
I was wondering how you guys untie a fly from your leader and put a new one on. Do you just cut the fly off or do you untie the knot and then tie a new fly on. I don't want to cut off snips of my leader off just to use different flies and I have trouble undoing the knot. Any help and advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 19:03

Re: Switching flies

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
You can undo your knot? Wow, I think everybody here will tell you they snip it off. It's part of fishing. Now, if I am nymphing and using more than one fly, the fly farthest up the leader is a pattern that I have a lot of confidence in. This will allow me to keep it on as long as possible. However, if you don't have a fly like that, learn to tie that fly off the tag end of the tippet material you tied onto your leader. I usually will tie on a prince nymph or stonefly there.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 19:16

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Lehigh Valley
Snip the leader off as close to the knot as possible. Yes, you'll eventually use up the leader doing this, but you can restore the length by adding tippet.

Tippet is the "thin" end of the leader, and you can buy spools of it to match the tippet on the end of your leader.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 19:33

From LV
Snip it off. Leader is cheap, plus knots weaken the leader.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 20:13

Snip the line. God ... my eyes have enough problems tying the fly on now .. besides I don' think they make a magnifying glass big enough for me to try and undo a knot.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 20:50

Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Snip the leader off as close to the knot as possible. Yes, you'll eventually use up the leader doing this, but you can restore the length by adding tippet.

Tippet is the "thin" end of the leader, and you can buy spools of it to match the tippet on the end of your leader.

That's what you do.

I started adding this little step to my snipping the fly off procedure. I make 2 snips. The first snip is just a little bit back from the knot. (A little, like 1/16 inch.) Then I cut the knot off the fly.

The reason for doing this, rather than just snipping the knot, is to have straight tippet at the end to thread on a new fly, rather than that little curly end that makes it hard to thread the new fly on.

It helps a little bit when your eyes aren't so great and you're threading tippet through the eye of a small fly.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 22:39

From South Central,PA
The knot unraveled is probably only a half inch or so. That's not worth saving...not to mention the curls in the line after a knot is pulled apart...would be hard to work with.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 22:39

From Lehigh Valley
jdl - what everybody else said - snip it, add tippet as necessary.

What hasn't been mentioned is that if you are able to untie the knot, you're not doing it right. What knot are you using? I use the improved clinch knot:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2012/8/15 7:50

From MONTCO
animated knots by grog. Google it. You will see every knot you ever wanted, for every purpose. You can watch slide shows, or videos of how to tie them.

For tying the fly on, I am currently using the Orvis knot, though my go to knot before that for most lures and even flies was the Trilene knot.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 9:08

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
When you eventually take a foot or so of your leader off then tie on some "tippet". Use a blood knot and you're good to go. I think many newbies think about the same thing as you and just replace the whole leader rather than just adding tippet.

Keep asking questions!

Ryan

Posted on: 2012/8/15 11:25

Use code "paff" for 15% off.

From MONTCO
To be clear, when they say, "cut the leader" they are actually talking about cutting the tippet. You should never cut the leader. I could be wrong but perhaps the leader, along with the tippet is technically the entire leader. I don't know. But calling the tippet end the leader was confusing at first. You tie your fly to the tippet and that's what should be clipped when removing it.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 11:34

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I use regular, not improved, clinch knots, and I have to admit I often do untie them. Simply put the knot between fingernails, and slide up. It re-elongates the knot and pulls right out.

Of course, the end piece of mono is twisted up and needs to be snipped back anyway. I don't know why I do it.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 12:19

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
I use regular, not improved, clinch knots, and I have to admit I often do untie them. Simply put the knot between fingernails, and slide up. It re-elongates the knot and pulls right out.

Of course, the end piece of mono is twisted up and needs to be snipped back anyway. I don't know why I do it.

I don't know why I do a lot of the things I do either.... lol.

I was surprised to read this. I have a good friend who doesn't improve his clinch knots either. I found out about this one day at the Lack after he broke off two fish in a row... I busted his balls enough that he started tying the improved and had no further issues. Maybe it was just him. But I do see how one could undo a regular clinch knot... Passing the tag through the extra loop is what really locks it down.

I'm kind of anal with my knots - I make sure every twist is stacked up nicely when I cinch it down.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 13:00

From Couldn't Care Less
loose enough of my patients tying knots and couldn't fathom trying to untie it even if i could accomplish it.. snip it

Posted on: 2012/8/15 13:28

Quote:

ryguyfi wrote:
When you eventually take a foot or so of your leader off then tie on some "tippet". Use a blood knot and you're good to go. I think many newbies think about the same thing as you and just replace the whole leader rather than just adding tippet.

Ryan

That's a very good point. I remember starting out, and being confused about this too, and I've seen this with many beginners.

For those doing instruction of new flyfishers, what this points up is the importance of teaching newbies about this. About what tippet spools to carry, and a good knot to use for adding tippet, and how to rebuild the end of your leader so that it works, i.e. turns over your fly.

This is among the most important things to learn right away, but maybe it's overlooked somewhat in flyfishing instruction?

Posted on: 2012/8/15 13:39

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
41 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com