Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Survey Question
Webmaster
I am kinda of going against my own rules here by starting a post in this forum, but I am asking a question directed only those new to fly fishing and need your help. I am looking to add more content and blog posts to the site that will help new fly fishing anglers.

What more information you are looking for that would help you with your fly fishing this year? Gear, fly tying, locations to fish, hatches, casting, stream tactics or other ideas you may have. Please respond here in this thread or a Private Message (PM) too.

Thanks for your response.

Posted on: 12/27 11:40

Re: Survey Question

From Lansdale
Simplifying the entomology may help.

Posted on: 12/27 12:41

From SE Pa
I think it is fine the way it is now. I'm not a fan of junking up web sites with to much specificity. I like things that are appealing to the eye. Right now my eyes are happy. Ok maybe just one little suggestions, maybe a step by step section for fly tying where the more experienced guys can post the step by step process with pictures or videos of each step in tying various flies. I find the videos helpful to an extent but with pictures one can go at beginners speed without having to hit pause.

Posted on: 12/27 15:33

From Monessen, PA
If effort is to be put in to make more organized content, then the content that already exists can be better organized. There is a wealth of information here already. And, a certain beauty is that there is no sanctioned "opinion." To a newcomer, this can be detrimental, unless they are critical thinkers to begin with. Because they have to wade through a lot of BS to get to the gems.

The entomology forum is the place to start, as we attempted some time ago. It lends itself to unquestionable favoritism, which is a good thing because the "correct content" is more easily verified. If you want to preserve the diversity of opinion that make other forums interesting to the readership, then leave those unorganized.

Just my opinion.

Posted on: 12/27 16:55

From Da 'Berg, PA
How about a 'flies to use this week' sticky thread ?

Posted on: 12/28 19:46

From South East PA
Quote:

geebee wrote:
How about a 'flies to use this week' sticky thread ?

And how to tie them. That would be great!!

Posted on: 12/31 14:59

From Christiana, Delaware
I see a series of sticky threads for the beginner, each thread broken down as follows:
1) Equipment
2) Fly lines, Leaders and tippet
3) Knots
4) Hatches and life cycle
5) Types of Flys
6) Casting
7) Trout
8) Streams
9) Finding fish and reading water
10) Presentation
11) Hooking/landing fish, proper handling
12) Weather
13) Researching fishing locations
14) Ethics

Posted on: 12/31 18:28

From North East PA
As a close to beginner, I second this suggestion.

Nice list!

Quote:

Aducker wrote:
I see a series of sticky threads for the beginner, each thread broken down as follows:
1) Equipment
2) Fly lines, Leaders and tippet
3) Knots
4) Hatches and life cycle
5) Types of Flys
6) Casting
7) Trout
8) Streams
9) Finding fish and reading water
10) Presentation
11) Hooking/landing fish, proper handling
12) Weather
13) Researching fishing locations
14) Ethics

Posted on: 12/31 19:41

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

From LV
Keith and others, the easiest way to 'simplify' entomology is to catch the fly you want to imitate and then duplicate it at the bench.
A trout doesn't know if he's eating a sulphur or a cahill, he only really sees size and color. And color may not be as important as we all think because everything they see is in silhouette.
As for the where and when, most hatch charts are fairly accurate, as to when, for the where it is sometimes questionable. By that I mean just because one stream has a certain fly doesn't mean the next stream in a watershed has it.
Of course someone will come along and say this is bs, so take it with a grain of salt.

Posted on: 12/31 21:31

I think "rules of the road" ettiquette is one of those things that could use more coverage....
these seem to be taken fro granted by vets but not that obvious to newbies

things like:

wading will spoil the pool / riff for a long time - be courteous and avoid doing so if possible

what is a redd and dont step on it
don't wade on sensitive substrates till early spring

give other anglers space, some of them are real privacy freaks

Posted on: 1/1 23:02

From Philadelphia PA
This may sound a little crazy at first.

I live in the Philly area - so Im thinking if I could get together with other Philly area Fly Fisherpersons to schedule a Fly Fishing 101 event in the area. The event could/would be posted on the Beginners page.

Posted on: 1/2 9:40
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
I live in the Philly area - so Im thinking if I could get together with other Philly area Fly Fisherpersons to schedule a Fly Fishing 101 event in the area. The event could/would be posted on the Beginners page.

You're in luck! We have a "newbie jam" in the Allentown area. Usually an indoor day in March or April, where us vets go over the basics (equipment, rigging, tying, entemology, strategy, etc.) and try to help out newbies, followed by some on stream instruction on the Little Lehigh. Quite commonly we have a "newbie brush up" day in the summer where it's all on stream stuff.

I haven't seen that we've picked the date this year yet, but keep your eyes on the events forum, and there will probably be a duplicate in the beginners forum. It's typically set up by Heritage Angler, so if you want you can shoot him a PM.

Posted on: 1/2 10:40

From Philadelphia PA
Pcray: I am really thinking more locally Philly/Bucks/Montco Tri area.

Posted on: 1/2 12:19
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I'm in Chester and make it up to Allentown to help out with that one. They come in from all over eastern PA.

I'm all for more newbie events, I think one of the best things we do on this board is to bring beginners along. Since both would be SE PA things, though, I'd suggest some coordination for your event with that one. Rather than repeating basically the same thing, it'd be another angle, in addition to. We'd have a whole SE newbie program thing going on.

Posted on: 1/2 13:06

From Philadelphia PA
What's the statistics of where the newbies are coming from, that have attended the event in Allen Town?

Posted on: 1/2 16:02

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
154 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com