sulphurs or Light Cahills?

S

steve2u42

I have heard different people say they use one of these two flies for the same response. A quote i have read is: If the bug coming off the water is light, use a sulpher. If its dark, use an Adams. But i also heard people say to use a light cahill. I know a sulphur is a specific bug. going with different hatch charts anyway. i also know and understand if its dark use an Adams. but i would like to know which is better to use as a general fly for light color mayflies, Sulphur or Light Cahills?

FWIW - I rarely use a light cahill anymore.
A sulpher seems to work fine for any light colored fly I see on the water.

That's funny because I prefer a light cahill. But guess it depends, I just try to get closest color match with what I have in my box. Size too obviously.

one's got mallard wings and the other one's got grizzly hen tips. i'm pretty sure the fish don't care.

gfen wrote:

one's got mallard wings and the other one's got grizzly hen tips. i'm pretty sure the fish don't care.

One's got lemon dyed wood duck wings, the other one has light dun hen tips. Grizzly? No soup for you.

How do you know the fish don't care - didja ask? :cool:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
One's got lemon dyed wood duck wings, the other one has light dun hen tips. Grizzly? No soup for you.

-shrug- They're both made out of snowshoe rabbit in my world, leave me be. i have to needlessly complicate my life to answer these questions.

you're right, no soup. i've been eyeing up a jumbo can of spagettios with meatballs since like 4pm, though.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
How do you know the fish don't care - didja ask? :cool:

i've been thinking alot on their wavelength lately. its all i got.

gfen wrote:

-shrug- They're both made out of snowshoe rabbit in my world, leave me be. i have to needlessly complicate my life to answer these questions.

Word. Except cdc in my world.

"cahill" is not even on my radar. I just have varying colors of yellow bugs, which tend to have an awful lot of brown and sometime orange in them.

jdaddy wrote:
"cahill" is not even on my radar. I just have varying colors of yellow bugs, which tend to have an awful lot of brown and sometime orange in them.

We're off topic, but I've tied light and dark cahill wet patterns, but that's tradition as it were.

Ergo, OP'r, use whatever looks right and don't worry about a name. I think I said that, but whatever. I'll say it again.

I've only ever seen one fly that has yellow wings and I tie a yellow cahill to match it, died wood duck, everything else that has mottled wings is natural wood duck.
As for the question, I usually match the hatch in these situations, for me it works better.

Chaz wrote:
I've only ever seen one fly that has yellow wings and I tie a yellow cahill to match it, died wood duck, everything else that has mottled wings is natural wood duck.
As for the question, I usually match the hatch in these situations, for me it works better.

I used to see those yellow cahills on the little juniata in may and june.
And they are a very bright yellow.
But I haven't come across any lately, though

Yes, they're different bugs. Heck, they are different "groups" of bugs, because there are several different types of cahill and several different types of sulfur. But the color is fairly similar, usually the cahills are a little lighter in body color. But again, both groups have a range of colors, and those ranges overlap.

I think matching the hatch is beneficial, but color is one of the least important factors in doing that. Light or dark works fine. Much more important is getting the size, shape, and floating characteristics (nymph in film, emerger, high floating dun, spinner, etc) correct.

pcray1231 wrote:
Yes, they're different bugs. Heck, they are different "groups" of bugs..

I think matching the hatch is beneficial, but color is one of the least important factors in doing that...

Much more important is getting the size, shape, and floating characteristics (nymph in film, emerger, high floating dun, spinner, etc) correct.

Amen
Knowing the characteristics of the insects is very important.
Identifying which insect is hatching is the key, and then understanding their respective hatching behavior.

Light Cahills emerge quickly in the film and ride the on top of the film for a long time. A dun pattern works best during a Cahill hatch. Also, the Cahills tend to come off sporadically throughout the day.

Sulphurs, on the other hand tend to struggle to get out of their nymphal "shuck" and ride in the film for a good while before becoming a dun, and then generally take off fast. An emerger works best during the Sulphur hatch.
They tend to emerge more into the evening and the dark, and rises may be confusing as to whether they are to the spinners or to the emerger.

So they might both appear as yellowish mayflies in a #14-#16, but, they are quite different and your patterns should be, too.

Grizzly hen tips, I don't think so, they use dun hackle for the sulphur and mallard flank or wood duck flank for the cahill. I prefer wood duck.
The adams uses grizzly for the wings.

On my home waters, light cahills are generally size 14 and the sulphers are 16-18. I tie both.

Back