Sulphur hatch in my yard

laurelrun

laurelrun

Sitting outside with the Mrs. enjoying a beautiful evening, I noticed a couple mayflies starting to dance around over our patio. I've become a little more attuned to bug activity since I've been flyfishing, and jumped up to grab a few for closer observation, much to my wife's amusement. Sure enough, a small sulphur hatch coming off the rain swollen run. Neat to learn more about the nature around us through this sport.

I live just outside Harrisburg on a small run, that unfortunately holds no trout. My plans are to hit the water sometime on Monday, and this has me thinking that an early evening would be best. I'm about equidistant between Manada Creek and Yellow Breeches. Any thoughts on which would be better for an early evening fishing trip on Memorial Day? Figure I'll start fishing around 5 or so and see how the hatch progresses.

You will do well on the Breeches. The hatch should be steady 3 out of 4 day for a week or more. Things will be a little later in the evening unless it is a cool damp overcast day. Bring a flashlight and fish till dark. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks! I intend to give it a shot tomorrow evening, Will let you know how i do.

Hit the Breeches at about 7:00 in the special regs area. Hiked downstream a ways and fished back with very little action. No bugs, no risers to speak of. I was trying to locate with a white bugger and had just one take and LDR.

I noticed a couple green heron staking out in the trees and figured they knew something was coming. Since night was falling I fished my way up to the mouth of the run. Still no takers so I figured I would fish up the run to my car and call it a night. A couple risers started showing and soon the air was choking with bugs. It was getting too dark to see my fly but I pressed on as the water boiled. One nice brownie shook off at my feet. Next cast I caught a raspberry bush and snapped off my dropper. Clipped the line and fished on until I could no see. For all the action on the water I am still struggling to catch numbers. But it sure was fun to be in that swirl of activity.

Better time around last evening. I caught yet another hatch with fish rising all around me. Managed to bring 4 to hand, including one 14" brown before it started getting dark and this beautifully colored brown. Also had a few LDRs including one small guy who decided to jump just as I was setting the hook. He did not complain about his brief flight downstream. All four fish that I took were on a sulphur nymph and a BHPT dropped off a sulphur dry. The dry was a nice indicator, but I had no takers on top.

I'm getting much better at line management, which is helping with hookups. Also better at feeling the take, although I am missing as many as I am getting on.

Nice to spend a couple hours fishing and do more than take my rod for a walk. This is fun stuff!

Attachments

• BoilingSpringsbrown.jpg
    BoilingSpringsbrown.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 2
  • browntroutredpsots.jpg
    browntroutredpsots.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 2
Laurel, sounds like you are having a good time. Don't sweat missing a few fish. Everybody does. Just have fun and keep at it.

GenCon

Thats good work laurel! I like the brown in the 2nd pic...nice pattern.

Thanks guys! Having fun and learning a lot. Just also fun to catch em sometimes. Especially one as colored up as the red spots. Any idea what causes those variations?

Spot patterns are usually genetic. Some browns have sparse spotting while others are full of spots. Red spots are usually one indicator of a wild or stream bred trout but not always. Diet and age can play a big role in this. Seach this site for "wild or stocked" and prepare to get really confused!

I've always taken the black spot pattern to be largely genetic. Reds are more of a diet thing, though diet at a very young age carries through for a long time.

Had clouds of the yellow bugs here in the back yard. The closest real bug water round here would be Lititz Run and the closest that is to me is about a mile down in Lititz Springs Park in the boro. There is another little crick and pond bout a mile west of here.... I have no clue where their coming from but they seem to love hang'n on the green canoe in the back yard! I get stone and caddis now n then also.

At my job a few summers ago I used to see giant golden stoneflies on the vending machines at a park. This was close to a mile from the stream I believe they came from.

Back