Strike Indicator

H

Hodge36

Can you use a regular bobber as a strike indicator?

You can use an apple or softball for a strike indicator if you want to. Much like the apple or softball, if you are talking about a red and white plastic bobber with the spring attachment, you are going to have a hell of a time casting it. Given the prices of light weight fly fishing oriented indicators/bobbers I can't see using a regular hard plastic bobber.

I like Thingamabobbers. Hard to lose and easy to move on the line- should be around .50 to $1.00 for one. They do kink the line a little but does usually effect nymphing too much.

If you find you don't like that try the toothpick kind.

Some examples-

http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/pc-5119-187-thingamabobbers.aspx

http://skipsoriginals.com/THE_BASIC_Strike_Indicator.aspx

Are you using this to float a fly or for strike indicator? If the former- I would suggest the thingamabobber.

If you are really cheap you can make your own.

Take a 3" peice of yarn and cover with about an inch of thread in the middle. fold the yarn over itself and wrap, tying both ends together. Secure with fingernail polish.
Trim to desired height.

I used to make dozens of these for Hillie's using poly yarn.

What are you using the indicator for? What flies are you using? I do like JDaddy's approach but just a bit more detail might be better. There are a ton of techniques and more info might make it easier to nail it down.

I am Just using them to float nymphs. I picked up those thingamabobber and i really like them

MKern wrote:

I am really cheap.

This works fantastic, btw. When I was done, I had a poly yarn float with a perfectly formed little hole to use just like thingamabobber's.

(shame I still find nymphing unproductive, and thus boring, and will never use this)

gfen wrote:
MKern wrote:

I am really cheap.

This works fantastic, btw. When I was done, I had a poly yarn float with a perfectly formed little hole to use just like thingamabobber's.

(shame I still find nymphing unproductive, and thus boring, and will never use this)

can't agree more... If the situation deems it appropriate, I succumb and fish in tandem, but the methodical roll cast-dead drift-swing is just utterly boring.

I'll swing/strip wets with just as much success in warmer months than anyone nymphing.

You can if you don't mind people laughing at you. :) I use thingamabobbers to float nymphs and the end of my line as an indicator any other time.

Nymphing is the most productive way to catch trout! If you are not catching trout than you are not doing it right. I fish drys, wets,streamers and nymphs. You will catch the most fish on nymphs! I also like thingamabobbers when I use an indicator and use the end of the flyline when I high-stick. Nymphing is far from boring. Learn to do it and you will agree.

NYmphing is/can be exciting.

I have to agree with WTT that if you do it right it's all you'll want to do.

It take s alot of work to nymph efficiently, which is why a lot of people probably choose not to nymph hard.

I dont think it is that hard. I mean I took my friend out for only his second time fly fishing and he caught fish.

One.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
Nymphing is the most productive way to catch trout! If you are not catching trout than you are not doing it right.

I'm doing it fun, that's right in my book.

Three!

Hodge36 wrote:
I dont think it is that hard. I mean I took my friend out for only his second time fly fishing and he caught fish.

Its not, and its still boring.

Sorry for derailing the thread, and yarn thingamabobbers are cheap and easy I don't have to think about pennies if I snapped one off, which I'd have to use to do so anyways.

Hey, look, my batteries just about dead.. Third post all I had to say on this.

My last post on nymphing....

If your not catching/hooking into a fish within every 10 casts, you are doing something wrong/not effiecient.

I once showed a young fly fisherman a better way to nymph fish, by better I mean more productive) and landed 4 fish on five cast out of the same riffle he fished for 5 minutes before.

I don't know how catching fish can be boring......

Mkern, some people will never see the light... More fish for us. I fish a lot and nymph alot of the time, too, but I don't see how it could be boring. To each his own I guess.

I would also suggest Float Master indicators, or the Fish Pimp (football with rubber tubing insert) style indies. You can also try tying a section of yellow HI-VIZ Stren into your leader and use that as an indie, too. I fished some of the Float Master indies up on the Erie Tribs this past weekend, and was really impressed with them. I just wish I could find more subdued colors.

Mkern, I was going to respond back but you just said it all. How can catching trout be boring? All my best days trout fishing(as far as numbers) came nymphing. I love fishing drys but I have never caught 40 plus fishing drys,wets or streamers. I have on a number of occasions with nymphs!

Oh I forgot to add to the post I like white strike indicators! IMO they blend in with all the white foam and bubbles. Anyone agree?

Sometimes I use poly yarn, especially when the fish are spooky and the water is more delicate. If you have good eyes, black yarn is good. I learned this from Andy Kim... the inventor of the young special. My cousin was good friends with him when he lived on the Green River in Utah. He's got a bunch of videos on youtube and his screenname is yspecial. Now he guides the San Juan and guarantees you 20 fish or you don't pay. I just got back from fishing some more turbulent waters in Wyoming and fished with the thingamabobber and fish pimp and I (like Tuna) prefer the football shaped Fish Pimp. It casts better in the wind and doesn't kink up your line. I fished them on the West Ausable in NY where the waters are pretty rough at times and the worked great. I also do well with a hopper dropper combo which gives you a chance to get a dry fly strike while nymphing at the same time. It's very effective in shallower water. There's a great video on youtube called Fly-fishing instruction super hopper dropper by Mikey Weir that shows you how to use this set up effectively. He even shows you how to custom make your hoppers to make them so you can adjust them on your line to fish different depths. I agree with all the nymphers... I catch a lot of big trout on nymphs. You figure 80% of a fish's diet is subsurface. I think it increases your chances big time if you learn to fish nymphs effectively. I believe getting the right depth and drag free drift are as important if not more than picking the right fly.

Back