still learning

W

wardog

I know this has been on here before but I've been fly fishing for a year and I'm still have some promblem with my cast and and get a good drift and I guess everything else I do get lucky sometimes. My question is what my best way to learn the right way and get ride of my bad habits I've done the orvis 101. Thanks Matt

my advise is to meet up with someone who would be willing to spend some time with you, I know no one is a pro but they can show you what works for them and maybe you can pick up a few tricks from them.

That's how I got started, I was not having a luck for the first 5 times I went out, I ran into someone who offered to help me, I spent the day fishing with them caught 4 fish that day. ever since I have been doing great, catching tons of fish on different types of water.

Don't be afraid to ask someone you see on the water for a little help. most of the time they will be more than happy to show you a thing or two.

I took the Orvis 101 and 201 and spent the $35 to go out fishing with one of the Orvis guides for a few hours one night. You can sign up for those at your local Orvis. I go to Orvis Downingtown.

I also fish with an experienced fly fisherman which has taught me a ton! Nothing like hands on experience. I finally feel like things are really coming together and I'm catching a good bit of fish along with a few large ones.

I've now caught fish on nymphs, streamers and wet/dry fly's with last night being my first ever on a dry.

I'm also fishing 3-4 times a week, sometimes more and practicing on a large pond behind my house which I think is really paying off.

I thought about asking somebody when fishing but I feel like I would be a psin in the *** maybe I will give it a try

you would be surprised by how many people are willing to help, and even if they aren't, you can ask them what they are using to at least give you an idea of what is working, you can tie on something similar and see if you have any luck.

I second the statement that so many people are willing to help. Just peruse this board.

AND

In person I got to know and fish with Dale49 who gave me a whole other arsenal to use to catch fish.

On Wednesday, fishing at the YB, I struck up a conversation with a guy who showed me how to sight cast and catch those fish in the Run that are so picky. We exchanged emails and will hopefully fish together again.

If you are on your own here are a could tips.

First, you have to learn to read the water, which is most of the battle. Fish quicker moving water where there are seems between the main currents.

Second, if you are nymphing, keep as much of you line off the water. This helps with drag and strike detection.

Today I went to the valley forge trout unlimted best $60 I think I ever spent a great group of guys learned alot!

War dog .. I've been FF for two years and I'm always learning and asking questions. You wrote ... "I thought about asking somebody when fishing but I feel like I would be a psin in the *** maybe I will give it a try".

I've had mostly positive experiences asking and BS'ing with strangers of the stream and most are helpful. Every once in awhile u get an arse who will end up tossing a fish in ur direction .. lol.

Back