Starting on Limestoners

Paulson

Paulson

I am in the beginning phases of starting to plan some trips up to Valley Creek, and was curious as to how I should arm myself in terms of technique and fly selection. As implied, I am completely new to spooky natural trout, but would like a sliver of confidence going in.

What should I do? What you have you done differently?

Thanks!

Have fun!
FFing (and many other things) is about confidence in what you doing. So go with what got ya there... ie fish how you like to fish and you'll catch some and you'll learn some.
I've seen many times in "technical" situations matching the hatch with exact imitations and long leaders and some yahoo will come through with a big, gaudy garbage fly and do just as well as everyone else. (and I call them yahoos only because I was the one trying to be technical!)

Fishing upstream is usually best since the trout are facing upstream.

Don't silhouette yourself against the sky - use the cover on the bank to break up your silhouette

Kneel or crouch to stay low thus less visible to the trout

Wear drab / earth tone colored clothing - avoid wearing bright colors

Try not to wade the middle of the stream, rather stay on or near the bank

Stay back further behind the trout and cast up to them

Try not to cast over the fish - cast at an angle or curve cast

Fly selection is not a big deal. If you follow the above, you should be able to catch some trout on some smaller pheasant tails, hares ears and zebra midges.

Afish just saved me some typing. Excellent advise above. Have fun, let us know how you make out.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen.

I have noticed I tend to get excited when I see fish and move too quick. Reaching into my head a bit, I have fished native brookies before, but only once, and yes, very spooky.

It should be good to start learning a new stream, and hopefully catching a few. I probably wont be up there for another month or so but I will let you know how I do. It looks like a beautiful stream with the headwaters more secluded.

Paulson wrote:
I am in the beginning phases of starting to plan some trips up to Valley Creek.

I don't personally recommend this particular stream as a good fit for beginners. However, now that you're ready to give it a try, I'd suggest some points. Valley is a smaller stream that is more heavily fished than most PA limestoners. The first thing you want to be aware of is courtesy toward other anglers. Don't walk upstream from another angler and start fishing (if you're not sure about courtesy, politely ask other anglers if they mind where you are moving into the stream). Stay out of the water and when you do wade, move as slowly and quietly as you can. In addition to courtesy and stealth, the points listed further up this thread are good ones.

I understand your point.

Probably would have been better suited for the GT forum, however I figure for an angler new to limestone streams, I would ask here.

I am certainly not an expert angler but I do realize for personal goals that I want to start fishing more challenging waters, with new problems and adapt/build/learn from existing skills.

I have to start somewhere!

FI hit it: move slowly.

You can be in blaze orange, move slowly and not spook the fish, or you can be in camo, move quickly or in jerks and spook every one. Watch your shadow-- cross the creek when needed. Cast high and let the line land softly, unless in broken/riffled water. Think that on top, there can only possibly be midges or small BWO, each of which will imitate another to the trout's brain.

If you must, use any 14-18 mayfly or stonefly nymph. If all else fails, try the Wooly Bugger, #12 or preferably less. No weight (unless in unusually deep pool), or very, very little weight, and keep a relatively tight (no more than 6 inches or less of slack between fly and) line.

Catch trout. Have fun. In moderation. And slowly.

If fish are rising, try the tiniest (18 or smaller, preferably) parachute adams you can find, unless you see caddis. If there is caddis use a tan 16-18 tan elk hair caddis. Hoppers, ants and beetles work well in summer. Below surface, small generic nymphs work quite well, like PT, HE, caddis patterns and zebra midge. If you are going to use an indicator, try a foam one or something that doesn't disturb the water too much. Streamers work well when the waters up, even a little. You will see a lot of people crouching and crawling around which is a little overboard IMHO. Just move slowly and practice delicate casts and you will be fine. There are some really long glassy pools with highly visible fish that are very tempting. Whatever you do don't just try and wade out into them. Stepping a single boot into the edge of these pools will send ripples clear across to the other end spooking everything. When fish are active valley is a pleasure to fish. When the fish are not active... Good Luck!

I just starting fly fishing this year. Valley Creek is the closest worthwhile place to catch trout to me, so I went there quite a bit this summer. It frustrated me to no end. It took me about 8-9 trips there to finally catch a fish. I never catch a ton of fish anywhere, but I can usually get a couple most places. VC is in a class of its own IMO. It probably didn't help that I insist on using drys and wouldn't tie a nymph on. Sorry I don't have much of anything useful to add except listen to the advice you get here and don't give up. If you put in enough time and effort, it will come together for you.

Since we are on the topic, can anyone tell me how far past the Turnpike you can fish? I've fished through the park up to the Turnpike but never past there. I'm going to try to make it there next Saturday and want to check out a little more than I've already seen.

Thanks again for the advice everyone. Patience and stealth are in order.

Are there any soft hackle patterns known to work on VC?

Hideyourself and try not to fish downstream. This time of the year there aren't many hatches so learning to nymph is important. But BWO's hatch on the warmer days during the winter and stone flies also hatch during the winter.

Agreed, Valley Creek browns are very spooky. It's just how it goes with a very low gradient stream that's crystal clear.

If you can, it fishes best when it's high. And it comes down VERY fast, so we're talking immediately after a major rain. If it's brown, toss streamers. If it's greenish-brown, use dry droppers just as if it were low, but you'll be far more successful than in low and clear conditions.

Otherwise, stay low, go slow and try not to make waves. Target broken water if you can, it lets you get a bit closer. It's generally a dry dropper stream, where you use a bushy dry fly as an indicator and suspend a nymph (Hare's Ear's work well) below. You will find fish rising to midges in certain holes nearly every day. These are usually the slowest, toughest holes. They are tough, they tend to stay just out of casting range, or else ignore most offerings. Perfect drag free drifts with very small flies. You can occasionally hit hatches which bring up better fish in easier locations. In March and April, BWO's are one such hatch. Size 18ish. In certain locations it also gets a few sulphers in mid May.

Thanks for more help.

I think it should be a fun challenge to target them. I am working on building some leaders for nymphing (Czech/Polish styles) in addition to learning swinging wets to a finer degree. Kind of my two main goals this year.

I have also thought of a Dry Dropper Rig of a dry, soft hackle, and a midge...probably saw it in passing somewhere. I still have trouble fishing tiny midges and nymphs low and slow and knowing how drag free my drift is at that point.

like any other new stream you need to figure it out. its really not that the fish are spooky it they don't hold in every part in the stream. you find a fishy spot and fish it. try to keep your shadow down. I stand in that water in most of the river. just pick a spot and fish it for fifteen minutes. small stuff as stated above nothing over an 18. zebras are you best friend now and basically all year round there. the fish are small there. like anything above 12 inches is a good fish.

if you every want t hit it together shoot me a PM. I know the place like the back of my hand. its not big and its easy to figure out just takes a few time to find some good water.

Back