Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Someone school me on Big trout

From LV
Before going fishing at night go to the stream during the day and learn the section you are going to fish. Things are very different after dark on streams. Fishing big streamers after rain is one way to catch big trout. Going to places where there are plenty of big trout and fishing big streamers works too, but you won't find many folks here that will answer your question directly about where to catch big trout.

Posted on: 2012/3/4 14:10

Quote:
you won't find many folks here that will answer your question directly about where to catch big trout.

They're already sending him the the Lack and the D. If he goes to those places, I have no doubt he'll get a 20-inch fish.

Posted on: 2012/3/4 18:16

From York & Starlight, PA
Marc asked;

"in the upper del there is a good population of big brown trout. do the fish spawn in the main river or do they spawn in the tributaries? Yes, the browns spawn both in the river, where they can find good gravel, and also in the tributaries that have water even in the driest times.
we are now in the winter months, do the fish go into the smaller streams for some reason or do they stay in the river. Typically, in my experience, the large fish are not going to stay in the smaller creeks that they spawned in. Even though their metabolism slows down in the winter they still need to eat. Forage fish are plentiful in the bigger waters.

what are some holding area that big fish stay? Most of the really big fish I've caught on streamers (22" - 24") have holed up near the shore. I think they like the protection they can get from being so close to the bank and often the current there is less swift. They also like structure, just like bass, if you can locate a big submerged boulder there might be a big fish in the downstream side. Also sunken tree trunks and troughs in the flow harbor big trout.

I never, ever, fish tippets lighter than 1X when streamer fishing and most often use 0X or heavier. That being said I never fish streamers smaller than #6 and most are in the #4 - #1/0 range.

All the edits are the result of trying to get the right sized picture.

Attach file:

jpg  Abutment Brown1.jpg (68.66 KB)
2548_4f540a9f55a7a.jpg 561X300 px

Posted on: 2012/3/4 18:44

Edited by wbranch on 2012/3/4 19:25:42
Edited by wbranch on 2012/3/4 19:26:36
Edited by wbranch on 2012/3/4 19:26:59
Edited by wbranch on 2012/3/4 19:37:29

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
at night i would most likely bring my head lamp. does the same rule go for trout as for stripers "try to use as little light as possible?

Posted on: 2012/3/4 18:57

From York & Starlight, PA
"you won't find many folks here that will answer your question directly about where to catch big trout."

Why wouldn't someone tell him how, or where, to catch big trout? The rivers mentioned are by no means secrets so any thought of "spot burning" is personal selfishness.

I may have provided answers to his questions but didn't tell him what colors, sizes, or shapes of the flies that I use to consistently catch 20" and larger brown trout. Nor did I provide the GPS coordinates as to where he could find at least half a dozen 20" + browns.

It's not likely he is going to go out and immediately start cranking in those big trout. There is a pretty lengthy learning curve to get through and he is still going to have to figure out how to fish those flies in various water conditions, clarity, turbidity, water and air temperature, and a myriad of other factors.

I'm hoping he does figure it all out as that is half the fun of catchng big fish.

Posted on: 2012/3/6 8:19

Big browns are like older people -they conserve their energy.
20 to 24 inch would be a medium size brown ,anywhere 2.5 to maybe 4 pds depending on time of year[pre spawn-post spawn.]
24" up would be big browns-east,west,north,south.
Big browns and the medium ones are different targets.
assuming your not talking coming out of lakes spawners in trophy trout area-
The big browns will feed when water temperature is closest to preferred temp.
During warmest weather that means night and early morning.
Cold weather-right in the heat of day unless snowmelt shuts them down.
They are mostly ambush feeders,not chasers.
when its time to feed they will move out of their hide or lie and position themselves where they can make a short dash and nail the baitfish,whose movement they picked up with their lateral line.
So if you want to target big browns-
be there when THEY want to feed,and target places where they will position themselves.
I didn't say anything new or novel just pointing out its a game in itself to consistently catch big browns.
That does not mean a casual fisher person can't catch the big one-saw that happen many times in Montana.lol

Posted on: 2012/3/7 20:55

By the way-don't buy into darker the night the better-25 years as avid nite fisherman out west and found its the water temp-not darkness that has them feeding at night.
Full moon good time to go.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 21:02

From florida
I agree with Pete.
The temp is the key. #1 GG

Posted on: 2012/3/8 16:31

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com