Rod wt

F

Fluger87

ok My name is Adam, I am new here. I have a question, I have a rod that is a 6,7,8 wt is this any good for trout fishing or not? I honestly have no clue to what i am doing with a fly rod. But i am so very eager to learn. thank you!

Adam,

Welcome. In PA, most of your trout fishing is done with a 4 or 5wt rod, with the occasional 6wt thrown in on larger waters. I'd say that your rod is definitely "too much", but it'll surely get you started if need be.

Welcome to the insanity that is PAFF!

It will work. It's in all honesty probably better right now considering the way the cricks are raging. By new here do you mean new to PA, new to fishing, flyfishing, this site, or all of the above. Plus where you located?

I started with 6wt. 43 years ago, I didn't have any choice, that was about as light as you could go than. I caught a lot of trout on it until about 8 - 10 years later, I built a new rod that used 4wt. line. I don't think I ever used the 6wt. again, I gave it to my cousin years ago. But it should do OK for you until you decide to buy a new one. I use 6wt. on a new rod I built recently when I'm fishing bigger streams.

6/7/8?

Is that a fiberglass rod? You might be surprised at how well it'd cast a 5wt line, actually. Glass is surprisingly versatile for that sort of thing. On that regards, I'd definatly steer towards a dual taper line as you'll carry more weight into casts and not have to worry about trying to load with the 5wt line's running line portion.

That said, if money's an issue, just go ahead and use it. 6wt isn't as different as one might think. Case in point, the official AFTMA grain weight for a 5wt line is 140 grains, a 6wt is 160.

Sorry i should have been more in dept with detail, i am new to the forum. I live in erie county in a small town called Corry! Right now money is not to big of a deal but i just don't know what I am doing when it comes to fly fishing. I would love to go and buy a new rod and reel but have no clue were to buy it at or what to get, And how to set it up and so forth. For insistence (do i need to use a leader or not, what kind of flies do i need to use and in what conditions) sorry I really have no clue. My father use to fly fish but he past away before he could show me how to fish in general. EVERYTHING I KNOW IS SELF TAUGHT. Although I have learned allot from this forum, and this is a place were i feel that i can get all the answers i need, thank you!

Try this: http://buy.scientificanglers.com/trout-fly-fishing-outfit-kit.html

Im just starting out too and that is what I have.

that is a great deal i think, I am not certin but thank you anyway! i bookmarked that link! thanks allot, and best of luck to you friend !

Back