Rod upgrade help

L

loneflyman

I did use the search function before I decided to post.

I am looking to upgrade to a new 5wt fly rod and was thinking of Redington fly rods. I want to keep my budget under 200. I just want to know if this the right call or are their other brands out their.

My current setup is a Martin Caddis 9 foot 8/6 and a 8/6 vintage plueger.

Redington Crosswater and Persuits are available as outfits and are pretty good.

You should really try to cast a rod before buying if at all possible.

Another option is LL Bean. I have a 4wt Quest of theirs and love it.

YMMV, but give them a look. Can't beat their customer service and warranty.

Dave

I was actually looking at LL Bean not too long ago. Fenwick Eagle GT is also on my list.

If you have the reel and want to push the $200 mark hard, check out the Orvis Clearwater line of rods.

Agree with Dave. Orvis Clearwaters are really nice rods.

loneflyman,
check your PM inbox

I recommend you go to one ofthe Fly fishing show and cast as many rods as you can before you decide. You often can get a good deal on a rod at the shows. I did twice.

Save your $18 and just goto a store.

For under $200, the Redington CT would be a fine purchase. Currently on sale for $99 at Cabela's; if you call and check they may have one you can test cast in the yard without all the pressure of casting at one of those shows (which generally aren't all that thrilling and don't really feature all that great of deals, anyways).

It would be a perfect step from your all-in-wonder combo. The money you save would go towards buying whatever reel they have in stock that's cheap adn will balance it. FWIW, don't spend too much on a Cabela's branded reel, they simply won't care when it breaks.

Honestly, don't spend too much on any reel, but don't let them upsell you their junk.

my best advice is get something with a good warranty on it. there are a lot of good rods out there and you might like some and not others. I have a Clearwater and it a real nice rod. I also have a cabelas l tech. I like the Clearwater for fishing dries and the l tech for nymph and streamers. Clearwater is 25 year warranty and l tech might be life. already broke the l tech and they gave me a new one no questions. by new not used cause you probably will not get the warranty. made that mistake with a Winston. I got a good price and got my moneys out of it but its just a shattered rod that lays around now.

Thank you guys for your insight. I saw some good company offering great warranty like up to 25 or lifetime. I got my tax information so I have time to search. I decided that I would like to have a rod to throw dry flies and do nymphing.

I am just ready to move onto a cork wood handle. This foam handle crap is no fun.

Redington CT $99 at cabelas....Redington Pursuit $60 at cabelas....Link can be found for $175 online....TFO signature and finesse models $170 or less. All have good warranty. You are moving up a good deal in performance so test cast before purchase. All of these should be a good deal faster than your current gear.

Gotcha! Thanks Krayfish! Already put the plans to head up to Cabela's and go on a shopping spree!

Be careful. You can get carried away in there

Lonelyfly, most of the newer rods are fine for learning to cast.
Don't worry about test casting before you buy, you won't know how you want it to behave until you have some hours under your belt.
Read some online reviews and look for a sale and don't spend much for a new reel.

Gotcha! My budget has been bumped 2 folds so defiantly I want to take my time and research. Not looking to spend a lot for both setups I want, considering I won't be fishing big waters for years to come. Just need something good for small streams and creeks.

I'll add my vote for the CT or Clearwater.

Lonefly,

PM sent.

I wouldn't go spend 400 bucks on a new fly rod if I was just starting out or a beginner to the sport. spend the 200 or less and go buy a few nice boxes and some flies. in reality if you don't tie you spend a good amount of money on flies. not saying that being able to tie makes it a lot cheaper. you can just have patterns more readily available when you have all the materials laying around from the past.

a word of advice I wish I had when I was starting out would be. get three boxes and try to fill each one half way. one for nymphs one for dry flies and one for streamers. when starting I would go to the fly shop and ask what's hatching and pick out a few flies and go to the stream. 10 flies might run you 15 to 20 bucks. one you start using a tandem rig you can lose two at a time to. they are not like a hard piece of metal where you can just bang them around on rocks.

get nymph genetic nymph like PT, HE in a few sizes then get specific like caddis larva and BWO nymphs, emergers for caddis BWO's and sulfurs. then buy all the dries for what hatch in the area that you will be fishing. I might be missing some major hatches but you get the point. its not the gear you have that catches the fish its having the right flies at the right time.

Back