Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Rod and Reel Combos

From Berks county
What rod and reel combos in 6 weight would you recommend for a beginner that are under $100. It would be nice if the rod was 9 foot and medium fast action. Also it'd be a bonus if the reel had some king of drag. Thank you.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 16:24

Re: Rod and Reel Combos

Your question was already answered here

Robbies Original Post See RCFetter Response

Notwithstanding, I am pasting the link directly to the fly rod/reel combo page. If you click on the below link you can then click on the combos and read what features they offer.

Rod and Reel Combos

Posted on: 2013/3/26 16:53

From The Frozen Tundra of WI
the swap forum has many nice combo rigs for sale. Take a quick browse through there.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 17:03

From Eastern PA
Quote:

GreenWeenie wrote:
Your question was already answered here

Robbies Original Post See RCFetter Response

Notwithstanding, I am pasting the link directly to the fly rod/reel combo page. If you click on the below link you can then click on the combos and read what features they offer.

Rod and Reel Combos

That St Croix combo is a little more than your price range but includes rod, reel, backing and line. Should be a nice outfit that you will not -"out grow" quickly.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 21:13

From Lewistown, PA
Wind River combo from Cabela's. They're on sale right now for $89! I got the 8'6" 4 weight (had been fishing a cheapy 6 weight as my first rod), and I really like it. I'm sure the 6 weight would be good too. The combo comes with a pretty decent fly line, and the reel is really nice. Adjustable drag, and a pretty attractive gray/graphite color.

Posted on: 2013/3/30 12:05

From North East PA
I started with a Cabelas combo I received for a Christmas present. Nice rod, but knowing now what I didn't know then, I would go for an LL Bean outfit. They have various price ranges to suit your budget and if you are unhappy with a purchase, you can't beat their return policy.

Posted on: 2013/3/30 15:00

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

From Dauphin PA
Here are a couple that are close to or just a bit more than your price point. Spending the extra 30-100 will get you a better all around set up that should last you for years. TFO and Cortland are pretty good with warranty repair / replace of their stuff.

Temple Fork Pro Series 2-Piece Fly Rod with a Greys G-Series Fly Reel and Fly Line with Backing for a 8'6", 6 Weight. $131

TFO Lefty Kreh Professional Special 4-Piece Fly Rod with an Orvis Encounter Large Arbor Reel and Fly Line with Backing for a 9', 6 Weight. $149

Cortland Big Sky 4-Piece Fly Rod with Rod and Reel Carrier and Orvis Large Arbor Encounter Reel and Fly Line with backing for a 9', 6 Weight. $203

just looked on Ebay and the Cortland rod alone sells for $260. If I'm not mistaken, that was their "flagship" model. I think they've closed out that model.

Posted on: 2013/3/31 10:34

Edited by krayfish on 2013/3/31 11:03:36

From florida
Reddington Cross water. Outfit from cabellas. I took mine on a flats trip and the guide really liked it. He actuall y
cast all of the line out. As I recall it was about 100 $. GG

Posted on: 2013/3/31 12:26

From Portage, PA
Plus 1 on the cross water outfit.

I think the compass rod that Allen is selling is a very good beginner rod as well. Lighter than the crosswater. I had cast one last night paired with one of Ryguyfi;s Risen reels. They paired together nice and were perfectly balanced. This set up would be over your 100 dollar limit but well worth the money IMO

Posted on: 2013/4/4 14:35

From Indiana Co., PA
Another vote for the cross water, I'm matching one with an Allen alpha III for steelhead and ny browns

Posted on: 2013/4/4 21:35

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
95 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com