Really wanting to start fly fishing

D-Rock023

D-Rock023

Hello everyone, my name is Derek and I am new to this forum. I have been fishing with spinners and bait fishing worms behind a bober for a few years now. Ever sine i moved a stones throw from the s. branch codorus creek. I usually catch at least a few.
Now I want to take to plunge and learn to fly fish. I seems very challenging and rewarding way to fish. My first question is what would you recommend for a moderately priced entry level beginner fly fishing set up and where would you recommend going for one? what is the bare minimum that I would need to get started. Rod, reel, backing, floating line, leader, tippet and flys? whats the easiest method to get started with, Dry, Wet, streamers? I'm slightly confused as to the differences and needed equipment. Any information or tips would be very helpful to someone looking to get started in fly fishing. Also if anyone is from the York area and could give any suggestions as to good places to fish other than my home stream south branch codorus.

Welcome to the forum. In terms of buying gear, your best bet would be to start out with a combo set up.

Have you budgeted a $ amount?

A 9' 5wt rod is probably the best set up to start.

To get an idea of prices, here's a link to Cabela's fly fishing combos which include rod, reel, line and backing.

Fly-Fishing Rod & Reel Combos

I'm guessing you will need help in learning how to use a fly rod in addition to other aspects of the sport.

I'm sure other members of the forum will suggest what to read and what videos to watch. Depending on finances, you may want to consider getting a lesson or connecting with a nearby experienced fly fisherman.

Thanks for the information. I'm trying to stay on the cheaper side since it's just going to be my beginner set up. I like the one that comes pre spooled with the backing line and leader. My uncle is a good fly fisherman and i know he goes to yellow breaches all the time. I think I'm going to get in touch with him and see if he can teach me the basics. He posts pics of some really nice fish.

D-Rock

Welcome to the Jungle......

I started with one of Cabela's Prestige outfits and still use it. You might want to look at LL Bean and/or Reddington's offerings as well.

Good Luck!

The best thing for you would be to ask your uncle to take you with him and ask him to use one of his rods (if he's like most of us, he has more than one set up) You'll learn the basics and have the confidence that you are starting out on the right foot.........good luck.

Hey thanks. I'm looking at the Cabella's cahill set up right now. It's the cheapest one. Do you think that would be too cheap. I just need something to get started and I know I'm going to have to buy different flies, and accessories. probably waders, net and vest. When I factor all that into my budget I cant go too expensive.

Thanks, that sounds like good advice.

I forgot to add, you can bum flies from him while you're at it. Atleast you get a chance to try it before you buy it........

Here's a link to a recent thread posted by another beginner. It references some good books and Internet sites:

Where to Begin?

Most important, do not hesitate to ask questions in this forum. Many members are professionals and are more than willing to help.

D-Rock023 wrote:
Hey thanks. I'm looking at the Cabella's cahill set up right now. It's the cheapest one. Do you think that would be too cheap. I just need something to get started and I know I'm going to have to buy different flies, and accessories. probably waders, net and vest. When I factor all that into my budget I cant go too expensive.

Hey D-rock! This forum is a great place to start. I've learned a ton from the people here. As a fairly recent beginner myself, I can tell you you don't want to buy the *absolute* cheapest rod unless you're certain of its quality. When I started I bought a pfleuger rod/reel combo that was just awful. The rod was fiberglass rather than graphite, so it didn't cast well, and the prespooled line was an abomination! didn't float, wasn't tapered. Just awful.

I think Cabela's is a good bet. Right now they have a great sale going on, actually, so now is the time to buy. If you already know you like fishing, it may be worth getting a decent rod - maybe go with the Wind River combo instead of the Cahill. It's really not that much more money, and you'll probably like it more. If you already like spin fishing I think there's a good chance that you'll like fly fishing, and you'll be willing to use a better rod for longer without needing to replace it.

That said it seems like the Cahill from cabelas would be workable as a first rod. Some of the reviews said it had a tendency to break, and also I'm not sure how good the fly line it comes with would be.

I started with a 9 foot 6 weight, and I don't regret it. With it I can do all of the trout fishing I want to, plus I can comfortably use it for small mouth bass. I'm sure a 5 weight would work well too, especially if you're only fishing for trout.

Good luck!

Get the Prestige combo from cabelas. Its fairly cheap and comes with everything you need as a beginner, like flies, a rod and reel, indicators, fly floatant, etc..

I'm also new to ff, but I got a Redington outfit on Sierra Trading Post jor a ridiculously low price and I'm very happy with it. As for flies, would check out some of the other members pernonal blogs. They really helped me in selecting my arsenal.

If you need some casting instruction, and can find some free time during the week, I would be able to spend some time with you to show you the mechanics of basic fly casting. PM me if you want to give it a try. If you don't mind I'd prefer to wait until it warms up a little though. It will be much more pleasant if we aren't shivering.

If you're the kind of person who enjoys reading, LL Bean has a good guide to fly fishing that covers anything and everything you can think of. Couple that with practice and pointers from others and you'll be hooked.

I recommend staying inexpensive at first. While you are learning, fancy expensive equipment is unlikely to offer any advantage. Then, once you are fishing servicably, you can think about the exact equipment you want and carry the starter along as a potantial backup should something happen to the new equipment while out and about.

Orvis is offering FREE fly fishing 101 courses. This class would be a good way to get the basics, and he price is right. I think you get a store discount too.

FF 101

Thanks everyone for all the feed back and helpful insights. I've been getting as much information as a can over the past months and now i really want to just get out and try and do this. I'm hoping to get my rod/reel tomorrow. If I would rather get one in-store does anyone think I could find something serviceable at gander mountain, or Dicks. Cabela's is too far for me. I'm glad to have found such a good forum with good people with the same interests. I'll keep you guys posted as to how my first outing goes. :p Probably just practicing casting more than anything.

Back