Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Questions about trout and warm weather

if water temps are 70 and fish are rising , do you go home or fish ? i haven't had a fish reel in this year yet on its side or feel soft to the touch , all been fighting and feeding well , only fishing early am and late pm though

Posted on: 2010/7/2 20:00

From Perkiomen Township, PA
I always stop fishing for trout when water temperatures hit over 70degrees.The only time I would fish hotter water would be if I was keeping the fish. I would suggest getting a thermometer to test the water. When the fish are exhausted and hard to revive it's a good sign that the water is too warm. I don't know about temperatures in limestone streams but I am familiar with spring creeks. They are usually fishable year round. I don't know about very hot summers and droughts though. May find out this year.
If you can't fish for trout you can get a better rush with Smallmouth Bass.
Tight lines

Posted on: 2010/7/2 20:41

From Monessen, PA
I think it is untrue that water is of consistent temperature in the stream. The stream bottom absorbs and holds heat. Shallow rocky areas with little current will be warmer than deeper pools for this reason alone. Shaded areas show another variation of water temperatures. I don't think it is more than a few degrees, but this can be crucial to fish comfort.

Posted on: 2010/7/5 9:07

From Chester County
If the water gets warm (>20*C / 68*F) I chose not to fish for wild trout. In most PA freestone wild trout streams, the fish thrive in the cold and cool water seasons, and just hang on to survive through the warm water seasons, many times huddling up to find a little cool water to survive, or laying low and not expending a lot of energy. While it's perfectly legal to fish for them all summer, I prefer not to....

Posted on: 2010/7/5 9:28

I think 70F is a good "cutoff point" for trout fishing.

In the summer, check the flows on the USGS site. And check the weather on a site such as weatherunderground.com.

When the flows are low and the air temps are reaching the 90s, conditions are generally poor for trout fishing. The great majority of the streams people talk about on here are going to go over 70F this coming week, if the weather forecast is accurate. We've got a real heat wave coming on.

I'm looking for a nice storm system to give us about 3 inches of rain and cool things off. Hope springs eternal...

Posted on: 2010/7/5 10:58

From Gettysburg
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
The great majority of the streams people talk about on here are going to go over 70F this coming week, if the weather forecast is accurate. We've got a real heat wave coming on.

I'm looking for a nice storm system to give us about 3 inches of rain and cool things off. Hope springs eternal...

I agree.
The next week looks to see some heat unlike anything we've had around here for years. The local trout creeks here in the SC part of the state are extremely low right now. The only good news is that the cool nights lately have helped. I checked a local ATW yesterday morning and although very low there were still large numbers of stocked trout and the water was 68 degrees. However, the temps forecast for the next week are likely to be mighty tough on trout. Usually the local stocked ATWs around here lose their fish by the end of the summer. I think this year it will be sooner.
Of course, spring creeks are holding up well. Falling Springs was 58 last week. When I checked the Run in Boiling Springs this morning during a TU work project, it was 58 degrees at about 11:00. The main stem Yellow Breeches tends to warm a bit. As of this morning, the YB has a good flow and was 67 degrees. Nevertheless, I'd stay off of YB in the afternoon at least until we get some precip and cooler temps.

Posted on: 2010/7/5 13:09

I took a water temparature of 75F on Spring Creek at Benner Spring, at 6:30 pm today. There are probably many streams running warmer than that.

Posted on: 2010/7/7 21:00

From Bozeman
Troutbert,

How did the flows look? I can see the numbers, but I'd be curious to hear your take.

Posted on: 2010/7/7 21:23

I've seen worse, but the flows looked pretty low.

Posted on: 2010/7/7 22:00

From Pittsburgh
I like to fish in the summer I fly fish, I fish mountian streams in PA , IF THE AIRTEMPS ARE 85% OR HIGHER FOR 5 DAYS AND I go to say Reese run, that water is almost always in the mid 60s it depends on where you fish shady areas and spring fed creeks are always good no matter what the air temps are,, now would i go to a more open area say slippery rock creek,, no way.. no tree cover wider water, so it all depends on where u go,, fish smart, you have to travel a bit to find the right place to cast,,,

Posted on: 2012/5/18 7:46

From Couldn't Care Less
I didn't read this entire thread but what do you avid trout fisherman fish for when temps are too high for trout?

Posted on: 2012/5/24 12:53

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
bass, carp, and bluegill...

Or I go the the Yough, a tail-water which stays cool till September.

Posted on: 2012/5/24 13:18

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com