Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: practice casting

From LV
I'll buy the frisbee thing, but hoola hoops won't get you accuracy.

Posted on: 2012/12/5 15:02

From lower burrell, pa
Thanks to everyone for the advice putting it all to use

Posted on: 2012/12/5 16:30

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
As another point, don't just open up in some wide open field and see how far you can cast. It's not realistic.

Do it at real fishing distances, and give yourself obstacles. Put a tree or big bush at your back, or cast from under a limb so you have to keep the line low. Move around so the obstacles are always in different spots and you're forced to do inventive things to avoid them.

When you get more advanced, add more obstacles, the more the better. Put the target behind a rock or tree trunk and see if you can curve it around. Pretend the driveway is a current seam and throw an aerial mend. Stuff like that, it's how you get better.

Posted on: 2012/12/5 16:36

From Chester County
I teach fly casting to a lot of beginners, and my advice is to first work on using good mechanics in your basic cast and practicing in an open area.

Many times a beginner is just starting to learn the mechanics of a good cast, but as soon as you put targets and/or obstacles, the mechanics of casting goes out the window and the casters focus becomes the target rather than the cast. It tends to create bad habits, right from the beginning.

Once the fundamentals of casting are learned and your mechanics are repeated without thought, you can begin to work on accuracy and casting with obstacles to replicate actual stream conditions.

Posted on: 2012/12/6 7:47

From Philadelphia PA
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
I teach fly casting to a lot of beginners, and my advice is to first work on using good mechanics in your basic cast and practicing in an open area.

Many times a beginner is just starting to learn the mechanics of a good cast, but as soon as you put targets and/or obstacles, the mechanics of casting goes out the window and the casters focus becomes the target rather than the cast. It tends to create bad habits, right from the beginning.

Once the fundamentals of casting are learned and your mechanics are repeated without thought, you can begin to work on accuracy and casting with obstacles to replicate actual stream conditions.

+1
I understand the mechanics that each time you add more line to the loop you have to wait just a double split hair second longer than the last false cast before you lay it forward. It took me awhile to get this part down. My accuracy was already built with bait casting rods and reels. I just transfered it to the flyrod. I

Posted on: 2012/12/6 13:08
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From The Frozen Tundra of WI
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
I'll buy the frisbee thing, but hoola hoops won't get you accuracy.

hoola hoops dont teach you accuracy. i agree. They teach you distance, angles, and coordination. It also helps newbs zone in their PRECISION. It did for me when i started.

I agree with whomever that suggested yard casting is not a true representation. If you have a pool. use it for your pick up and lay down. Surface tension plays a big roll in the cast.
However I digress... of course you know the distinction between precision and accuracy.

Dude Do what ever works for you and ignore all the rest. Even if its me or a seasoned fisherman. Dont be intimidated by others... cut your own path. "If it works.... It's right!" (Eddie VanHalen)

Posted on: 2012/12/7 1:28

From Ferguson Twp.
Hoola hoops will tighten your loops and promote accuracy, at least I feel they will if used in the following way. Get a pole of some sort and tape a hoola hoop to it at any height, either stand facing it or with it behind you. Now put your cast through it, (getting it in and back out again without touching it is harder than you think)stand at different angles and distances from it. If you have zero patience do not try this. Although not impossible, this exercise will test it. Once you become very good, put one in front and one behind and really get red faced.

Posted on: 2012/12/7 8:01

From Philadelphia PA

This all depends on the distance you are from the Hoola hoop when casting. The further away the smaller it becomes.
A funny thing to think about (I'm an analyst) is if you use the hoola hoop for what it is designed for and can still cast to a target, without dropping the hoop - I believe it will make you more accurate. Also, this trick may get you prepared for slippery rocks and stuff.
Why not have some fun with this one. Let's all practice with the hoola hoop and have a little competition at the next Jamboree??????

Posted on: 2012/12/7 11:19
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
Let's all practice with the hoola hoop and have a little competition at the next Jamboree??????

haha. For me, I'll walk up to about 15 feet and bow and arrow cast through it no problem, first time. You can even put one behind me, no problem! ;)

Posted on: 2012/12/7 15:48

From South Central,PA
I cut a 1-2" section of paracord to tie on to the leader as my fly. It frays a little at the end and has the right amount of weight. I think it acts more like a fly than yarn. Depending on what size fly you are practicing for, cut it longer or shorter.

Posted on: 2012/12/9 16:29

From lower burrell, pa
Thanks again to everyone for the responses. got a couple hours of practice in this week and my sucktitude decreased a bit.
went out on buffallo creek yesterday for a couple hours of practice (didnt catch anything). I didnt try the hoola hoop thing on the stream tho. Only lost one fly when I overcasted into a log. Will continue to practice and listen to everyone's advice. Thanks again Norm

Posted on: 2012/12/10 9:30

From South Central,PA
Another tip, you may already know. When you get hung up and you know you will have to break it off, pull the line with the rod pointed straight at the fly. Don't flex the rod until the line breaks...your rod might give first!

Posted on: 2012/12/11 16:40

From Jersey Shore, PA
Actually, when hung up it is not a good idea to point the rod directly at the fly. When things let loose it comes back directly at the rod tip and rod tips can get broken that way. It is recommended that you carefully give yourself enough line beyond the rod tip that you pull the line off to the side of the rod and that way you don't jeopardize any of your equipment.

Posted on: 2012/12/11 17:43

From South Central,PA
that's even better!

Posted on: 2012/12/11 18:28

From Philadelphia PA
Quote:

pro4mance wrote:
Thanks again to everyone for the responses. got a couple hours of practice in this week and my sucktitude decreased a bit.
went out on buffallo creek yesterday for a couple hours of practice (didnt catch anything). I didnt try the hoola hoop thing on the stream tho. Only lost one fly when I overcasted into a log. Will continue to practice and listen to everyone's advice. Thanks again Norm

We all had to learn to crawl before we were able to walk... This same phrase also applies to Flyfishing. I continue to hone my skills and practice at every chance I can. Each type of line, line weight, fly type and size all need to be treated similar with slight modifications.
I like to look at everything as a puzzle. It keeps my mind in challenge mode. If i look at it as a problem I have a tendecy to get frustrated.
In looking at what you said about losing a fly to a log..Do you have a pair of waders? I have gotten hung up many times and would have lost many flies if I did'nt have waders on. Since I don't keep track of how many flies I loose (only Trout caught) I cannot say, but It's been many even with waders on.

P.S. the Hoola Hoop thing should only be practiced on land. The rocks in themselves are slippery enough.

Posted on: 2012/12/16 9:50

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
171 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com