Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Re: Planning the 2012 Newbie Jam

From Dauphin
I plan on coming to the Allentown unless someone decides to do a central, pa one. I'm interested in the entomology, would love to see something with wild trout tactics or fishing spring creeks. But if I'm jumping the gun with this being "newbie jam", that's not whAt I was trying to do. I'm down for anything can always use a refresher as well as learn something new.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 13:29

From Abington
Already put it on the calendar! Looking forward to it!

Posted on: 2012/1/11 18:05

From Howard Falls
H-A (Ed), I wouldn't mind helping out in some way... maybe the gearing up "head to toe" piece. Can't wait to show off my new flyfishing kilt.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 19:43

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

Can't wait to show off my new flyfishing kilt.

Ya know, most people just carry a thermometer.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 7:24

From Philadelphia
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Quote:

Can't wait to show off my new flyfishing kilt.

Ya know, most people just carry a thermometer.

Now that's funny!

Posted on: 2012/1/12 7:41

From Glenmoore PA
I will be coming. Last year I helped hand out flies that were donated, and if you are doing that again, I could head that up. Other wise I can help where needed. Not much of an instructor as Im still learning myself.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 6:25

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

surveyor06 wrote:
I will be coming. Last year I helped hand out flies that were donated, and if you are doing that again, I could head that up. Other wise I can help where needed. Not much of an instructor as Im still learning myself.

Don't sell yourself short - we're all still learning. Put yourself in the shoes of a newbie, and then look at your skills. Impressive, to say the least.

We'll still do the fly donation/distribution - I'd be grateful if you could handle that again, as well as doing some demo tying. Gloves and ice dubbing aren't mandatory this year.

I really don't want to make the instructors feel pressured into strict attendance (see - I'm learning too). Life has a habit of getting in the way of things, and the new format allows us the flexibility to cover for someone that can't make it at the last minute. The only strict rule for this event is that we all have to have fun. Anything involving mcfinn is guaranteed to be fun. Trust me on this one.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 9:19

From Philadelphia
Ed, I met McFinn last night at the TU meeting. The guy is a frickin riot!

Posted on: 2012/1/13 9:22

From Lehigh Valley
We've got a new topic - "Approaching a Spring Creek". This will be an interactive presentation by salvelinusfontinalis, and will surely be epic. This program will expand on sal's awesome series of posts of the same name. Sweet!!!!!

Posted on: 2012/1/13 9:34

From lancaster county
Should be a ton of fun and I'm looking forward to meeting all of you.

Quote:
surveyor06 wrote: I will be coming. Last year I helped hand out flies that were donated, and if you are doing that again, I could head that up. Other wise I can help where needed. Not much of an instructor as Im still learning myself.

Quote:
Don't sell yourself short - we're all still learning. Put yourself in the shoes of a newbie, and then look at your skills. Impressive, to say the least.

I personally can wait to observe the casting instruction because i need it but shhhhhhh!

Posted on: 2012/1/13 9:47

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Just a running tally to date:

Volunteers (7). Requested topic (open to change as needed and as appropriate)

Heritage Angler - organizer
pcray1231 - open to placement where needed
wheff - on-stream instructrion
fishidiot - entemology
mcfinn - gearing up
surveyor - fly donations/handout, demo tying
salvelinusfontinalis - approaching spring creeks

Attendees (2):

IdRatherbePhishing
Volksnurse

Requested topics. (0)

Kind of expected that this early. It's winter. Wintertime posters are serious about the sport. The newbies will rush the board in the spring. # of volunteers is probably more important to start anyway, we need to know that to come up with the schedule. Plus, I think we're pretty confident we'll get a good turnout on attendees.

Still, keep em comin. And for those attendees that have indicated they want to come. Don't forget about the topics question, we want to know what you want to get out of it!

Posted on: 2012/1/13 9:57

Sal, lookin forward to meeting you too. Always enjoyed your posts immensely. Weird we haven't fished together or even met yet.

And yeah, even us "experts" learn at these things. You don't have to be hush about it. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 9:59

From Lehigh Valley
Hi Pat - Just an FYI...

whheff can't make it, as he just found out that his TU chapter is running an event the same day.

We should probably hold off on announcing which instructors are doing what topics, as I've received PM's from some of last year's instructors expressing interest in helping out. I've asked them to let me know what they'd like to do in the next two weeks, and I'll make an "official" announcement of the event, topics, and instructors at that time. We can always move things around, to a point - we're flexible. I'll call you before I make the announcement post, and we'll make adjustments as needed.

I can't begin to thank you enough for helping with this event - your ideas have made what I feel is a tremendous improvement to our program, and you're making things a ton easier for me. As far as I'm concerned, consider yourself co-organizer of this event.

Carry on - you're kickin' butt!

H.A.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 10:33

Ok, more volunteers is good. Did not mean the topics were final, merely what the person initially expressed interest in. I'm guessing most will get to do what they requested. And then we'll have a hole or two to fill, which will be accomplished by strong-arming the willing. ;)

Posted on: 2012/1/13 10:46

From lancaster county
Quote:
Sal, lookin forward to meeting you too. Always enjoyed your posts immensely. Weird we haven't fished together or even met yet. And yeah, even us "experts" learn at these things. You don't have to be hush about it. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

Likewise. Really your one of the posters I've enjoyed the most because science my friend, is your strength. The systematic and random acts of science really are interesting.

Speaking of fishing together. You realize that we had a long discussion on the board about approaching wild brookies streams and we determined you and I approach them the same way. Don't waste time and skip less likely water and you'll catch more fish. We could probably fish all of Cherry Run in Clinton County from the middle and opposite directions. Turn around and cross back over each other to the mouth and headwaters. Its only 10 miles or so

I'm too old.

We do need to fish together here at some point. I know some neat and interesting places in Luzerne , Lackawanna, Wyoming and Wayne Counties.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 12:13

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
154 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com