Paying it Forward Part Deux ...

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

Last weekend at my daughters soccer game I was chatting it up with an acquaintance, nice guy I know but considering our kids aren't the same age we aren't that tight. The topic of fishing came up cause I think he heard me talking about my weekend surf casting in Montauk. The discussion turned to Fly Fishing and I explained that for my fist time, I enjoyed surf casting, would do it again, but it doesn’t stir up my passion as much as fly fishing does. In a sense he didn’t get how bringing to hand a ‘small’ trout can get you going more than reeling in a 12 – 15lb striper.

The conversation moved to how I got into it and I went thru the song and dance abt golfing since I was 17, was obsessed, watch some really pretty FF shows, found the forum, beginner jam, etc … and I was off to the races. Funny but his boss had an extremely similar story. Works, two young kids, etc and he traded in his golf clubs a few years ago and any free time means FF’ing time. He then says next time I go out he would like to come along and try it out. I explained that it isn’t that ‘easy’ but we’ll work on a few things prior.

This AM I took him to Core Creek and let him get a feel for chucking fly’s. Showed him the basics of casting (lol what I know and hope I didn’t screw him up), fly’s and when to use them and how each work and some other things. Didn’t work on knots or anything … just wanted to get him comfortable with a fly rod in his hand. We went to the water (just a big lake) not to fish but just for me to show him the mechanics and how to fish different fly’s … from dry and nymphs, tho the water on the lake was still it still was easier for me to show him certain aspects then on grass, to streamers (wolly buggers). Went thru stripping, more casting, mending (tried to explain on still water), etc … all in all I kept him interested for 2.5 hours. Gave him one of my beginner fly fishing books and he definitely wants to get on some moving water in the next few weeks … hope to have the success I had with my 1st pay-forward as I got my buddy a trout.

I’m thinking either the LL or Neshimany (do u think there's still WW species in there?) and crossed out VC as that place drives me insane and not a good place to take someone for the 1st time, with me at least lol. Considering that we are in Bucks and don’t want to drive to far … any other ideas on where to take a Newbie to get him on moving H20? Open to trout and/or WW species if they are still around.

Not sure if CC got a fall stocking, but if they did the outflow might be a good place to try. I saw people in the spring doing very well there.

Good job.

Guys who are partial to such type of sports are gonna take to it nomatter what you do, you're just helping them along the curve a little and introducing them to something they already love, they just don't know it yet.

I've started a few guys over time. And everyone talks about taking them to ponds or the local stocked stream, i.e. controlled environments where they can work on mechanics at the exclusion of worrying too much about catching fish.

I think that's the wrong approach for a first outing. It might be right for a 2nd or 3rd outing.

But I want the first outing to wow them.

Success, scenery, the whole package. If I take them to some high mountain brookie stream complete with rock cliffs and waterfalls, where I'd expect to catch 60. Well, nomatter what, they're gonna manage 5-10. Or you take them to bigger water when you know a monster hatch is gonna be on. In an environment like THAT. Turns a curiosity into a passion in one fell swoop. They wanna learn everything they can as quickly as they can after that.

Yeah, they got frustrated. Cause they caught that tree limb a million times, or got a million refusals from trout who were rising with abandon. And if they were just decent at this thing, it's really obvious they woulda done a LOT better. That's a GOOD thing. Because now they're committed to learning how to cast. Now it has a obvious and available reward.

And on the 2nd trip, to the more "controlled" environment, they understand WHY they have to learn those things, and are more committed than ever to get to it.

Yea I get that Pcray but the last time I tried to pay it forward on our 2nd trip we did a really nice hike in the Poconos looking to profit and then we got this

one-word-you-must-remember-as-to-not-ruin-a-planned-afternoon-of-fishing

My buddy really hasn't been into it that much and we had success his 1st time. Totally get what ur saying and it makes sense. My 1st time out I didn't even fish and just watched and listened on the LL ... was a really nice cool day out and just felt great to listen to the creek and take in what theoutsider was telling duck and I. I'm figuring I'll hit the Nesh if you guys thinks WW species can still be had or just take him to the LL as I know it well enough, can go thru different ways to fish, he'll see fish and maybe he'll catch one. If he gets the hook I'm going to try to get him to join the site or at least take him to some of the newbie jams we have.

I'll take all other suggestions on any other spots u guys recommend for me to take him

Phiend .. by "CC" do you mean Core Creek Park? If yes they don't stock there

Neshaminy panfish are still catchable but the smallies have been slowing down for me.

I've started people on warm water, mountain streams, and hatches over pellet heads. All have their advantages and disadvantages. Asking those I've taught they seem to prefer being taught the basic mechanics of fly fishing over warm water species, then the next trip to mountain streams.

I try to show people different sides of fly fishing.

It is so much fun showing a new angler a few things and then seeing them catch that first one. Both my daughters have done it.

Good for you Stagger. GG

Way to go Andrew!

Back