Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: One Word You Must Remember as to Not Ruin a Planned Afternoon of Fishing

From Maytown, PA
Can you say West Nile Virus? Which may be the best reason to be using repellant, the itch will go away the virus might kill you!!

Posted on: 2013/7/2 6:31

From Philadelphia PA
Caveman, quit trying to scare the poor bitten guy!

I for some reason seldom get the enjoyment of beautiful music buzzing around me or tiping my waitresses with fresh blood.

They did have on the news that people with O Positive blood get bit more often than the other blood types. Judging by the number of bites you must be O positive. as in ...O #censor#.....Ouch.....OMG

Having a good amount of Vitamin E in your system works wonders. But don't overdue it - it will give you a rash in them cubby holes (armpits/crotch). Also, bugs are attracted to aftershave lotions and other scents.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 8:59
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Clearwater II. Stay Fishing MF

From LV
Never fish a swampy stream in hot humid weather.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 20:47

From Ferguson Twp.
We've all been there, they nailed you pretty good too. This is one of those things that needs happen only once to properly learn the lesson.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 5:08

I'm a chronic fly fisherman and a wetland biologist so I'm exposed to these situations quite often. Word of advice, don't apply 100% DEET to your skin. Use only on your clothes and hat. Yes, this is the stuff that will disintegrate plastics and your fly line, etc. I have grown accustomed to wearing long sleeve quick dry sun protectant shirts. Columbia, UnderArmor, Gander Mountain make some good ones that aren't expensive. While bugs will still bite through clothing, they'd much rather go for exposed areas. Spray these long sleeve shirts and your exposed areas with DEET spray no more than 40% or use the Picardin. Whatever you favor. These shirts are great because they're light and dry fast and some even come with insect repellant built in. And yes, they work. Reapplying spray throughout the day is a must so pack it with you. On another note, I've had great luck with cigars when the the "dog nut gnats" are active. You know the ones that want to crawl in your eyes. Bottom line is don't expose your skin untreated. Period. You ain't in your living room out here so prepare for it. Getting chased off a stream by bugs is a total fishing blue ball that always could be avoided.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 11:54

From Philadelphia PA
I'm quite learry of putting all these chemicals in your clothing and on your skin. Is the picardin a natural repellant?

I see some flyers smoking cigars and would like to know does this keep the bugs away?

Posted on: 2013/7/30 12:36
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Clearwater II. Stay Fishing MF

From Couldn't Care Less
Quote:
PPFlyer wrote:

I see some flyers smoking cigars and would like to know does this keep the bugs away?

Not the bugs I encountered that day ... they were super squitoes

Posted on: 2013/7/30 12:46

Posted on: 2013/7/30 22:27

From Philadelphia PA

Stagger lee - or they have been around enough smokers that they are addicted to the smells. Maybe them cigars help guide them in.

We all have a choice...we could fear for our lives and not go out fishing anymore, or take precautions to lesson our chances.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 8:53

From Oxford, Chester Co., PA
I spray my ball cap heavily with deep woods OFF and smoke cigars. Parodi's work well; they last a good while and don't break easily in your pack or vest. Good field cigar. I have read that female mosquitoes (the sex that feeds on blood) are especially attracted to dark colors. So avoid wearing t shirts in black, dark brown, blue, dark green, red. Light Khaki or olive drab are best.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 10:58

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
120 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com