HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Nymphing help!!!

From Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
If you are not into reading books, you can try this class from the Author:

www.tcoflyfishing.com/TCO_Fly_ ... niel_EducationClasses.cfm

Unfortunately, they are sold out for this year.

BTW: I am not affiliated with this shop or author.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 21:15

From South East PA
I think of an indicator like the scope on a rifle. Use a yarn indicator to assist in detecting strickes. When nymphing I use a 90º leader system and tuck cast.
Good Luck!
Sean

Posted on: 2013/3/15 13:08

From Philadelphia PA
I often use a dry fly as an indicator it is less noticible to the fish, and lest apt to spook.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 19:02
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Central, PA
this was awesome. I have recently been more successful in nymphing and am loving life. Caught a real nice brown today.

Posted on: 2013/3/17 22:12
down, down, down
between beams
to the gloom room
among the seaweed and the slime
Down, Down, Down
Melt

From Boilingsprings
Strike indicators are another too in the box. In slow moving water were you can sight fish put a strike indicator on. Perhaps a fish for fun project. Rig the indicator as needed. Watch the fish take the fly and then check out the indicator. You will find how many strikes the indicator never does anything. Colder water means slower fish and fresh stocked fish will also hold a fly longer. Also learn to fly fish first. If when you started to walk your mom gave you a cane you would still be using it today. I am not against bobber fishing but I can assure you if that is the way you learn to nymph you are going to miss out on some very good opportunities.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 15:58

From Monessen, PA
The only way to detect a "take" is to have sufficient little slack in the portion of your line/leader that is visible, unless in crystal-clear water, where you can actually watch your bait.

No slack is ideal, but it is also a nano-second away from imparting drag. You must find the balance, I think, with or without a bobber.

The way I see it, with a bobber, you manage slack from bobbber to bait; whereas, without a bobber, you manage slack all the way to your point of concentration, whether that is the line-leader connection, or some point along the leader that is still visible.

Slack beyond the point of concentration only concerns you when you decide to set the hook. Too much will be a problem for hooking up, too little a problem of drag.

See diagram above.

This said, drag is more over-rated as a detriment to nymphing than dry fly fishing in my opinion. Nymphs swim-- they don't always, nor consistently, simply drift.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 18:33

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com