Newbie Fish and Chips Day on the LL

Foxgap239

Foxgap239

I had an idea for a summer get together. I was thinking that maybe either July 14 or 21, we have a newbie reunion at the Little Lehigh. Of course, anyone is invited. I say we get there very early and fish the morning away followed by a picnic afternoon. Everyone brings something (soda (not sure if beer is permitted), snacks, a grill, etc). I think we'd have a blast.

How do you guys feel about my (well actually Stagger gave me the idea) idea?

Fox

I had to give you the idea!

I have a 33 day, 5 page thread going to try and get some of us together in Bucks and no one has been able to coordinate their schedules to work. You're the Obi Wan Kenobi of getting us newbies together!

Let me check witht he wife and see if I can work with those days. If we do the grilling thing .. I'm all for it for lunch. If I can i will probably have to split right after that as the wife doesn't want me gone all day. I'm trying to explain to her that a fishing bum is better than a bar bum but she ain't havin it. :)

You know I'm game ! I'm sure Ed will be there also. I swear he only goes fishing if there's food involved. Lol. Hey Stagger you can always make it a family day. The family can always go to the hatchery and the Indian Museum while you fish. My kids had a blast when I brought them.

I sooooooooooooo love it when I'm not getting beat up! Go Ed!
:pint:

delta_dog wrote:
You know I'm game ! I'm sure Ed will be there also. I swear he only goes fishing if there's food involved. Lol. Hey Stagger you can always make it a family day. The family can always go to the hatchery and the Indian Museum while you fish. My kids had a blast when I brought them.

Just remember Ed gets first dibbs at fishing below the hatchery! Right Dave????????

As a newbie to Pa., I don't know what nor where LL is. Any help would be appreciated.....thanks.

Sorry Irish. LL is the Little Lehigh Creek in the Allentown area. If you are interested Google Heritage Fly Shop and use that to get Google Map directions or you can PM me and I'll get you there.

Irish .. right near Dorney Park, Allentown Pa

Little Lehigh - Fish Hatchery Rd

May not be exact but close enough. Ur location?

Our Newbie jams are great and the experienced guys are very patient with US .. just watch out for the Foxes, sneaky fellas

Will the LL be holding trout in July? I think someone answered this for me in a thread but I can't seem to find it and not sure of the answer

Any WW species as well?

Trout will hit but we need to fish early and check the temp as the morning goes on. Not sure about WW species.

RCFetter wrote:
As of right now my schedule is open so I'm in.

I was hoping you could join us. Once we get a list of guys, we'll ask guys to post what they'll bring so we make sure we have things covered.

Foxy .. 70 degrees is the tipping point, no?

Also, with the weather we have had right now it is fairly safe all day or should it be early AM & Late PM for trout

//Per HA .. next gadget I get is a thermometer

I could do the 21st, but not the 14th...

JT gonna laugh @ this ... I am looking @ sleep away camps for my daughter I think on the weekend of the 7th. We have to schedule a few more camps on another weekend .. odds are it will the weekend of the 21st

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Foxy .. 70 degrees is the tipping point, no?

Also, with the weather we have had right now it is fairly safe all day or should it be early AM & Late PM for trout

//Per HA .. next gadget I get is a thermometer

Yes 70 is definitely the top. I prefer to only fish early mornings this time of year but early evening could be okay too, we just stay out of the middle of the day. Yes, thermometer is a must in June thru September.

Fox, not sure what you mean, things are a little foggy........

Joy has mentioned doing a picnic down at the Little Lehigh sometime, so I'll run this by her and see how she feels about coming down early in the am. Might be nice to have this as a family event.
If we do, I have a portable gas grill that is fair sized and a canopy that we can bring down. We can go the route of bring your meat and grill when you want or we can chip in for burgers and dogs.

What time would you want to start fishing? Due to the 90 minute drive down, that could be the sticking point for having Joy with me. (She's not as fond of waking early as I am)

Looks like the 21st is a no-go for us. I have tickets to go see Steve Chapin and the other members of Harry Chapin's band at Droflinger that night.

The 14th is open as far as I know.

Yes 70 is definitely the top. I prefer to only fish early mornings this time of year but early evening could be okay too, we just stay out of the middle of the day. Yes, thermometer is a must in June thru September.

Yeah .. think Ill head to Dicks in the next few and pick one up.

I read a few threads that certain types of streams stay much cooler than others in the hazy, hot days of summer and are fishable all day

What's the deal with that?

Within an hr of Philly, any direction .. what trout creeks/streams stay the coolest?

Stagger_Lee wrote:
I read a few threads that certain types of streams stay much cooler than others in the hazy, hot days of summer and are fishable all day

What's the deal with that?

Within an hr of Philly, any direction .. what trout creeks/streams stay the coolest?

Wow, not much within an hour of Philly. Mostly Limestone streams and small mountain streams hold a good temp. We'll talk more at Fish & Chips.

djs12354 wrote:
Fox, not sure what you mean, things are a little foggy........

Joy has mentioned doing a picnic down at the Little Lehigh sometime, so I'll run this by her and see how she feels about coming down early in the am. Might be nice to have this as a family event.
If we do, I have a portable gas grill that is fair sized and a canopy that we can bring down. We can go the route of bring your meat and grill when you want or we can chip in for burgers and dogs.

What time would you want to start fishing? Due to the 90 minute drive down, that could be the sticking point for having Joy with me. (She's not as fond of waking early as I am)

Looks like the 21st is a no-go for us. I have tickets to go see Steve Chapin and the other members of Harry Chapin's band at Droflinger that night.

The 14th is open as far as I know.

Dave, you know me, nothing has to be set in stone. I have no problem making it a family thing. I actually think that might be a great idea. I'm going to get there around 5:30 to fish but no one has to be as nutty as me. We can make a day of it, people come and go as they please. I think we have one guy bring burgers and another guy dogs, etc. Wives and kids optional but MORE than welcome.

Back