Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 17 »

Re: Newbie Fish and Chips Day on the LL

From Couldn't Care Less
Looks like I will be missing my first Newbie jam of the year. Unless something changes, both dates are booked .. I would say have a beer for me but I prefer you catch some fish for me instead

Posted on: 2012/6/27 16:10

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:
Oh Ed where is thee????????????????????????

I'm just waiting patiently. This is a tough time of year for me to plan anything, as I often don't find out if I have to work until the day before.

Usually, I keep a few extra vacation days in store, so I can do things like organize a trico jam. Not this year, as I've had to burn my extra days already.

No use speaking up unless I know I can be there - unless you leave yourself open to a smartazz comment, which is inevitable at some point.

Something I'd suggest - check with Dave at the fly shop to find out if there's anything going on down there on your chosen day. It'd stink if there's an event already going on when you guys want to set up your picnic. Table space is at a premium this time of year down there. If it's OK, he can at least guarantee you the tables in front of the shop to use, and they're under canopies.

Posted on: 2012/6/27 17:37

From Philadelphia
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Something I'd suggest - check with Dave at the fly shop to find out if there's anything going on down there on your chosen day. It'd stink if there's an event already going on when you guys want to set up your picnic. Table space is at a premium this time of year down there. If it's OK, he can at least guarantee you the tables in front of the shop to use, and they're under canopies.

Good advice. Thanks buddy, see you at zero dark thirty!

Posted on: 2012/6/27 18:02

From Abington
Is there a date yet?

Gotta love an EDit.

Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:

Table space is at a premium this time of year down there.

But that won't be a problem as volksnurse and gfen have Honda Elements which are my favorite vehicle...

Posted on: 2012/6/27 18:08

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

Volksnurse wrote:
Is there a date yet?

Gotta love an EDit.

Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:

But that won't be a problem as volksnurse and gfen have T.G.E.B.'s which are my favorite vehicle to make fun of...

F.Y.P.

Posted on: 2012/6/27 18:20

From Etters,Pa
Lol.....you better watch it ED remember who your talking to.

Posted on: 2012/6/27 19:35

From LV
Stag, unless the area has a serious heat wave the LL will be under 70 degrees. There are no WW fish worth targeting.

Posted on: 2012/6/27 20:22

From Etters,Pa
Quote:
by Chaz on 2012/6/27 20:22:28 Stag, unless the area has a serious heat wave the LL will be under 70 degrees. There are no WW fish worth targeting.

And to think I thought you knew what you were talking about.....see I have been wrong before.

Posted on: 2012/6/27 20:28

From Couldn't Care Less
Quote:
Stag, unless the area has a serious heat wave the LL will be under 70 degrees. There are no WW fish worth targeting.
It interests me how quickly water temps rise, drop, and why. For example .. we are going to be having 5 days of temps in the 90's.

If the LL was in my yard how high would temps get in those really hot hrs of 1PM - 4 PM?

How quickly do water temps drop when the sun starts setting?

Is it different than the Nesamany for example and if yes, why?

Why do limestone creeks stay cool even in heatwaves?

etc, etc...

Seems like dumb questions but I never gave this any thought abt this b/ it didn't interest me & I never had to. Also, this is the newbie forum and rules state anything goes no matter how dumb the questions are

Thanks

Posted on: 2012/6/27 22:25

From Palmer Twp
Good deal I just put in a request for vacation day to attend.

Posted on: 2012/6/28 3:42

So what was the final date on this? I'd like to come, but could only do the 21st. On the 14th, I'll be up the other place with the family.

Posted on: 2012/6/28 3:50

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:
If the LL was in my yard how high would temps get in those really hot hrs of 1PM - 4 PM?

How quickly do water temps drop when the sun starts setting?

Is it different than the Nesamany for example and if yes, why?

Why do limestone creeks stay cool even in heatwaves?

Stagger - if the LL was in your yard, you'd have a much bigger problem than worrying about water temps.

The Little Lehigh is a limestone spring creek. The creek has numerous limestone springs that feed into it, especially in the area of the lower C&R FFO section.

These limestone springs emerge through a layer of limestone substrate. This means that the water has a high PH, thereby helping to buffer the stream against the effects of acid rain. This is good for the aquatic plants, bugs, and fish.

Since the springs emerge from deep underground, the temperatures are typically in the low 50 degree range. This helps the stream maintain a more constant temperature by keeping it warmer in winter, and cooler in summer.

The LL never freezes in winter, and it takes a prolonged heatwave to get it over 70 degrees (at least in the lower fly stretch). The highest temperature reading I got last year was 68.1 degrees. I'm not saying it doesn't get warmer, but that's the highest temperature I recorded last year.

Posted on: 2012/6/28 8:20

From Etters,Pa
Quote:
The LL never freezes in winter, and it takes a prolonged heatwave to get it over 70 degrees (at least in the lower fly stretch). The highest temperature reading I got last year was 68.1 degrees. I'm not saying it doesn't get warmer, but that's the highest temperature I recorded last year.

Did you take that temp with your rectal thermometer?

Posted on: 2012/6/28 8:58

From Couldn't Care Less
Good stuff HA .. thanks you have a way of 'blending' everything together in layman's terms

Quote:
The highest temperature reading I got last year was 68.1 degrees. I'm not saying it doesn't get warmer, but that's the highest temperature I recorded last year.

That is pretty impressive considering (if I recall) we had a very hot summer last year. The LL is pretty fish-able, and holds its trout population well, all summer long, no?

Posted on: 2012/6/28 9:49

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

delta_dog wrote:
Did you take that temp with your rectal thermometer?

It only smells like a rectal thermometer because you stuck it in your ear.

Posted on: 2012/6/28 9:56

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 17 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
59 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com