Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 18 »

Re: Newbie Fish & Chips Session II - Saturday, July 28th

From Albrightsville, PA
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:
Quote:

djs12354 wrote:
Come on down and join us. Just pay no attention to the insults flying around. Most of them are tongue-in-cheek, the one exception being any directed to Foxgap239

Exactly when did I become the PAFF kick ball?

You ought to brand that - then you can sell tee-shirts, hats, socks, waders, vests - the list goes on. You can even start a PAFF kick ball league. Figure it's great way to wind down after a day of fishing.

Posted on: 2012/7/24 20:52

From Albrightsville, PA
By the way, I think Becker can use a pointer or two (or three or four) on fishing smaller water. Any takers?

Posted on: 2012/7/24 21:15

From Couldn't Care Less
Hey guys .. maybe passing my local shop this AM and I have a $25 gift voucher that I must use by July 31st.

What exact flies should I have for Sat?

For example .. when you talk abt tricos I know what they are but I don't .. LOL

Let me know exactly what you recommend and hopefully I'll see the post b4 I'm there.

Thanks

///Also .. how impt are greenie weenies to the arsenal? For trout and WW .. dont have any and was wondering if I should

Posted on: 2012/7/25 7:13

From Philadelphia
Get some size 22 and 24 trico duns and spinners if he has them. Also get some size 18 black ants. Then some of those searcher nymphs I told you about. size 12 to 16 should be perfect.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 7:28

From Philadelphia
Latest Update:

DJS (Dave) - Grill and hot sausage/rolls
Dave's Brother - Aardvark
Fox (George) - water, trash bags and Box of Joe (I hope)
Volksnurse (JT) - Soda with cooler and ice
Stag (Andrew) - burgers and rolls
GRP (Garrett) - Chips and condiments
Chaz (Chaz) - grill and meat plus his vast FF knowledge
Martin (Jeff) - Hot dogs/rolls and potato salad
Better Martin (Carolyn) - homemade Choc Chip Cookies
DD (Dan) - baked beans
CathG ( Cathy) - plates, napkins, plasticware and side tables
ADucker (Jeff) - shrimp (my hero)
SBecker (Shane) - tentative TBD
McFinn (Derrick) - corn on the cob and fixin's (boiled or grllied?)
H-A (Ed) - Pretzels and junk
PJHarrington (Paul) - tentative TBD
JoesyWales (Mark) - Venison and pineapple stuffing
Dave - Fly Shop Owner (our guest)

Invitiation is still open to anyone. Join us and just bring along something you think would be picnic worthy but let us know so that we make sure to have enough food for everyone. I show 16 people above so far, please make sure to let me know if I missed you.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 7:32

Edited by Foxgap239 on 2012/7/25 8:17:57

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

PoconoPaul wrote:
By the way, I think Becker can use a pointer or two (or three or four) on fishing smaller water. Any takers?

I have no problems fishing creeks the size of the LL or Valley. It is those dumb trickles with 4 inch brookies that I don't care for.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 8:05

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:
Quote:

djs12354 wrote:
Come on down and join us. Just pay no attention to the insults flying around. Most of them are tongue-in-cheek, the one exception being any directed to Foxgap239

Exactly when did I become the PAFF kick ball?

For those that don't realize what is going on with this....

Some of us are good fishing buddies. We have fun here, but the snide comments are always just friendly ribbing. Mostly, we're just re-hashing things that have happened on past excursions - sometimes with a twist, just to rub it in. It's all in good fun.

We especially like to pick on da Fox. We do this because we actually like him, believe it or not.

Moment of weakness>>>>> Truth is, Fox is about the most fun person you will ever fish with. He's a highly skilled angler, and hasn't been a newbie since Nixon was president.

When I asked him to get involved with the Newbie events, it was with the knowledge that he had so much to share, and was taught by the same mentor that taught me so much. It's a way we can honor our mentor, as he was one of the few people that believed strongly in helping others back in the day. Way back, people were really tight lipped about skills they had to learn the hard way. There was no internet back then.

It's not so much like "paying it forward", as it is just paying it back. We hope you all will do the same....

OK, enough being nice to the Fox. Gotta keep him on his toes, 'ya know.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 8:20

From Philadelphia
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:

We especially like to pick on da Fox. We do this because we actually like him, believe it or not.

OK, enough being nice to the Fox. Gotta keep him on his toes, 'ya know.

Well in fairness, it's not like I don't ask for it! I can dish it out too but H-A is right, it is all in good fun. It's sorta like, if we's pickin on ya, we's likes ya!

For anyone that's on the fence about joining us because you think you may too much of a newbie or not newbie enough, please join us. We really do enjoy helping, sure we're gonna bust your balls but that's half the fun. Maybe a testimonail from some of our current newbies might help persuade some you. Also, if you've been "lurking", sign up and join us. The knowledge pool you will meet Saturday would be tough to duplicate and the price is right just bring something for the picnic! Who knows you could even hook into a nice fish and H-A will surely be there to preserve it for posterity on disk!

Posted on: 2012/7/25 8:34

From Albrightsville, PA
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
Quote:

PoconoPaul wrote:

I have no problems fishing creeks the size of the LL or Valley. It is those dumb trickles with 4 inch brookies that I don't care for.

Come on now, I don't really fish trickles. Maybe I'll take you to a couple of places I go and you'll see the water isn't all that small and the fish aren't that small either. Sorry if I do prefer brookies over browns. Not that I don't like browns, just brookies are prettier and lots of fun.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 9:40

From LV
#24 trico duns, male and female, and spinners male and female. Don't waste money on any other size, they are 24's.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 9:41

From Philadelphia
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
#24 trico duns, male and female, and spinners male and female. Don't waste money on any other size, they are 24's.

Chaz, I hear you but I got most of my fish last week on the 22. Just sayin.................

Posted on: 2012/7/25 9:51

From Albrightsville, PA
Quote:

Chaz wrote:

I've never had success with these flies on the LL. What would you suggest in so far as tippet size / leader length there?

Posted on: 2012/7/25 9:58

From Jersey Shore, PA
Gee, this is really tempting me to see if I could get a day off and make a trip. Don't know how much I could contribute, though, IF I could get the time off.....

Dave R.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 10:17

From Philadelphia
Quote:

OldLefty wrote:
Gee, this is really tempting me to see if I could get a day off and make a trip. Don't know how much I could contribute, though, IF I could get the time off.....

Dave R.

Dave, you are kidding right? You could contribute more knowledge than all of us put together. (Minus Chaz, of course ) It would be a real treat if you could join us and lend a hand with these newbies!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2012/7/25 10:38

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

OldLefty wrote:

Dave R.

This is funny. One of the most knowledgeable flyfisherman in Pennsylvania (and beyond), and you don't know how much you can contribute.

Don't make me kick you on the good leg! Just limp on down and play with your friends.

Chaz - I agree with you, but it depends on what hook you're talking about. The old "standard" - the Mustad 94840 is the perfect length (sz 24). The gap stinks on that hook though. If guys are buying tricos, they're likely tied on cheap hooks, and the size might be wrong. If they're tied on Tiemco 100/101's, the shank length is longer than the Mustads. You gotta use a sz 26 to get the same length as a Mustad sz 24. All hooks are NOT created equally, unfortunately.

Fox - Try tying up some of those cdc tricos on Tiemco 2488's in a sz 22. The wide gap will help you land fish (and trees). The 2488 is a shorter shanked hook, so a sz 22 works perfectly.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 10:51

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 18 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
125 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com