New to forum, and a new form of trouting

Breeze717

Breeze717

I'm new to fly fishing and the forum. But I am by no means a noob on the stream, my father taught me at a young age how to read a stream and fish with the best of them. We've been minnow and lure fisherman forever. But I decided to be the best trout man I can be, I should understand and appreciate all aspects of the ways to catch fish. So I may not be your sterotypical wine sipping, pastel wearing, orvis loving fly guy, or your budweiser guzzling, f350 driving, camo loving spin guy, but know this, I love fishing, and all fishing. I'm proud to be from Pa and I'm glad I've found this forum to help expand my knowledge of great Pa fishing. If you'd like I have a blog following my fishing you can read full of pics and write ups. http://troutpa.blogspot.com/

Welcome, cool blog dude. Good to see another guy who fishes in a golf hat too...although mine says Titleist. :cool:

Welcome to the forum Breeze. We don't all wear tweed and smoke a pipe. Come to the jamboree next year and see the motley crew that shows up...

albatross wrote:
Welcome to the forum Breeze. We don't all wear tweed and smoke a pipe. Come to the jamboree next year and see the motley crew that shows up...
Speak for your self Alby I love me some tweed! Ha!

Very nice blog. Glad to see that you can appreciate all types of fishing

csoult wrote:
albatross wrote:
Speak for your self Alby I love me some tweed! Ha!
Tweed? Boy that would be hot right now. I'll take 100% Poly myself along with my Straw Fedora hat. Ha!

Yes-I loved my English oiled fishing jacket but preferred cigars.

Thanks for the blog looks guys. I'm excited to learn more about fly fishing. I'll have to check that jamboree out, sounds like a good time. I don't know if I could fish in tweed haha. I'm going out tomorrow with the fly rod so I'll for sure be putting pics up on the blog. I'll post some here to.

Oh and Swattie, I'm a Taylormade man through and through lol

Breeze717 wrote:
Oh and Swattie, I'm a Taylormade man through and through lol

Truth be told I don't have a Titleist club in my bag, I just like their hats. Since Callaway, Tommy Armour, and Cleveland aren't paying me to play their clubs I figure it's ok to wear the hat though! It's actually pretty tore up and has that vintage "worn" look to it now...much more appropriate for the stream than the course really.

Edit: If they did offer to pay me to play their clubs I would gladly sport their hats...golfing, fishing or otherwise. Unlikely for a 14 handicap I imagine!

Breeze717 wrote:
I'm new to fly fishing and the forum. But I am by no means a noob on the stream, my father taught me at a young age how to read a stream and fish with the best of them. We've been minnow and lure fisherman forever. But I decided to be the best trout man I can be, I should understand and appreciate all aspects of the ways to catch fish. So I may not be your sterotypical wine sipping, pastel wearing, orvis loving fly guy, or your budweiser guzzling, f350 driving, camo loving spin guy, but know this, I love fishing, and all fishing. I'm proud to be from Pa and I'm glad I've found this forum to help expand my knowledge of great Pa fishing. If you'd like I have a blog following my fishing you can read full of pics and write ups. http://troutpa.blogspot.com/

Except for Fredrick, most of the guys on here are the latter, but all are welcome. I marvel that no where else will you find mechanics, doctors, truck drivers, lawyers, IT guys, fast food cooks, engineers, authors, college students, teachers, soldiers, convenience store clerks, bankers, and [d]unemployed[/d] recently employed (now) former trout bums all sharing info and arguing in one place, and all because of a love and passion for fly-fishing. When we get together at the Jam, it is a sight to behold.

Welcome to you, and welcome to all the noobs on this site.

Thanks for all the welocomes guys. Its nice to find a site like this where I can learn more about the sport. I think I'm going to try and fish before these storms hit.

I drove out to Twin Arches today and walked out to the stream and couldn't fish. The water rose over night and was muddier then I've seen it in some time. If I was with someone else I would have fished, but I'm a bit leary on a high stream by myself.

welcome. looking forward to checking your blog out later.

Great blog and welcome to the board!

and unemployed recently employed (now) former trout bums

No! Say it aint so! The 'Kid finally took off his cape? He was my hero for a while there.

Welcome breeze. Not a bad little blog. Sure shows you got the passion.

Breeze,
I like your blog. I noticed you mentioned using an UL St Croix on one of your outings. A St Croix UL was my favorite rod for years. I mostly fly fish now but would usually have the spin set up handy, especially if fishing a lake. In the summer when big bluegills are deep, its just a lot faster to use a spinning rod (usually with a chartreuse trout magnet) to find the fish and then switch to the fly rod.

But my sister and her friend used my Blazer to transport a washing machine and managed to turn my 2 piece St Croix into a 3 piece. I have other rods but that one was my all time favorite. I caught my biggest trout, smallmouth, and crappie on that little ultra light. My biggest bluegills have come on the fly rod.

Ahh sorry to hear that Cathy. I love my St. Croix rods, especially with the warranty they give. I'll have to take my spinning gear out with me when I go fly fishing next time.

The broken rod is a "cheap" Premier. It was the most expensive ($90 I think) rod I ever bought up to that point (10 or so years ago). They only had a 5 year warranty. Probably the best rod I ever owned.

I have since bought other St Croix rods: fly, spin, and casting plus a couple custom St Croix. I'm definately a fan.

Welcome BreezeThe Jams are a hoot,just remember to bring rain gear. GG

tweed... no thanks, i smoked some once it just gave me a headache

Back