New to Fall FIshing & Best Midge of Western PA

P

PorkChop

Hello, I am pretty new to fly fishing and not afraid to admit it. I fish in Western PA and wanted to ask a few questions for the board. I tried doing some research on the board here but didn't really find what I was looking for... so here are my questions..

New to fall fishing- what patterns & sizes are most effective for October- November- December fishing?

I was reading that Midges are great for fall fishing.. what patterns and sizes do you use? Also how do you know what patterns and sizes to select when your out in the field?

Generic nymphs like pheasant tails, hares ears, stoneflies, flies tied on scud style hooks work well. I like a dark brown bead head nymph in size 14. Small streamers can be effective. I like to use a weighted size 14 nymph and a smaller fly like the midge you speak of as a dropper, the larger fly gets the smaller one down to where the fish are but can also take fish as well. Zebra midge is one that works well.

^ +1. I often fish a tandem rig with a bead head pheasant tail, hares ear, or copper john with a zebra midge or some variation of a zebra midge.

Thank you for the responses, I am curious to see if others reply and fill in with other tips. Any colors that work best in MIDGE for Fall? What colors are most effective for SWPA trout streams? Any takers?

I almost always fish a double nymph rig with a bead head HE, PT or the likes with a midge pattern. I like the Al's rat type on a scud hook. Super easy to tie and seem to work for me atleast. Also like the wound copper body with a wisp of dubbing on a size 20 scud. More like a brassie nymph i think, but no bead.

Also, small egg patterns have been working for me...cream, light pink.

As you get into Dec and the colder months, stoneflies are a good choice (for those streams that have stoneflies.) Stoneflies "nymphs" remain active and thus are a food source for the trout.
As suggested, try a big stone with a midge dropper and nymph fish during the fall / winter.

I too am from SWPA, and fish the Yough, Laurel, Loyalhanna, and a few other streams around and my most productive midge patterns have been the zebra midge in black and red size 18-22. I do prefer the smaller ones as a dropper. Olive does work well too. Sometimes I even tandem 2 zebra midges, sz18 bead head black followed by 12-16 inches of tippet and then a 22 red one or olive. Another fly in midge size that works well around here also in fall is a rainbow warrior

Do you happen to have a specific pattern of that Rainbow? And a size? Thank you for posting!

Rainbow Warrior:

Bead: silver tungsten
Thread: red
tail: pheasant tail
body: UTC pearl tinsel lg.
thorax: rainbow sow-scud dubbing
wing case: UTC pearl tinsel lg.
Size could be whatever you're comfortable tying.

PorkChop wrote:
Any colors that work best in MIDGE for Fall? What colors are most effective for SWPA trout streams? Any takers?

I'm not a southwest guy and only have basic experience with some of the waters in that part of the state. However, with respect to midges, I doubt there's that much difference from central PA. For midges fished on the surface or in the surface film, I like black or dark gray for probably 90% of the time. There's a school of thought that midge adults are darker in winter months. Cream is good for midge dries too but I use it much less.
Midge nymphs also work in dark colors such as olive or black with light ribbing. Red is also a good color for midge nymphs (not adults).
The next time you're out on a stream, pull up some rocks and look at the nymphs underneath - my guess is you'll find that most are small and most are dark colored. This is esp true when one looks at midge larvae. Another good tip (I think) is when you are fishing in winter and see fish midging, go back and look at your car. If it's parked in the sun, esp if its dark colored, midge adults will swarm on to it to warm themselves and you can get a good look at their color.

My go to fly during the fall is a simple silk midge. It's essentially just thread on a hook and I've had great success the last few weeks on them. Usually tied in 18-22. Cream with a black thread head or black with a grey thread head. I usually fish them in tandem under a tungsten rainbow warrior or a red zebra midge.

Would you post a picture?

Hmmm. Not too sure how to post a pic while using an iPhone. Check your pm's.

rgAQUdg.jpg

Maybe I figure this out on the phone now! Here's a pic of a generic one off line I found. I'm away at work right at the moment but I'll post you a few more pics up on Thursday when I'm home.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 3
Griffiths gnat 20 to 24......GOOD LUCK

My big spring Baetis pattern works very well for midge hatches and may be tied in any color. The basic pattern is;
thread body in the color of choice, I use pale cream thread
White hackle tips at the tail use single barbs
grizzly hackle.
This pattern can be adjucted for size and color and works for many different 'hatches' of midges and small mayflies. The first time I used this fly was at Big Spring, hence the name. Sorry I don't have a pic.

I hate tying the rainbow warrior, kicks some serious arse though, worked well in the spring for me. Never had luck on midges, but I don't do a lot of fishing during the winter time except for a few trips up to erie.

I have only ever caught one fish on a rainbow warrior, it's too unrealistic for my taste. Too much flash. Small frenchies are way to go.

Back