Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

New to Fall FIshing & Best Midge of Western PA

From Western Pa
Hello, I am pretty new to fly fishing and not afraid to admit it. I fish in Western PA and wanted to ask a few questions for the board. I tried doing some research on the board here but didn't really find what I was looking for... so here are my questions..

New to fall fishing- what patterns & sizes are most effective for October- November- December fishing?

I was reading that Midges are great for fall fishing.. what patterns and sizes do you use? Also how do you know what patterns and sizes to select when your out in the field?

Posted on: 2013/10/27 19:51

Re: New to Fall FIshing & Best Midge of Western PA

From Ferguson Twp.
Generic nymphs like pheasant tails, hares ears, stoneflies, flies tied on scud style hooks work well. I like a dark brown bead head nymph in size 14. Small streamers can be effective. I like to use a weighted size 14 nymph and a smaller fly like the midge you speak of as a dropper, the larger fly gets the smaller one down to where the fish are but can also take fish as well. Zebra midge is one that works well.

Posted on: 2013/10/27 20:12

From Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
^ +1. I often fish a tandem rig with a bead head pheasant tail, hares ear, or copper john with a zebra midge or some variation of a zebra midge.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 12:51

From Western Pa
Thank you for the responses, I am curious to see if others reply and fill in with other tips. Any colors that work best in MIDGE for Fall? What colors are most effective for SWPA trout streams? Any takers?

Posted on: 2013/10/28 13:18

From Coopersburg
I almost always fish a double nymph rig with a bead head HE, PT or the likes with a midge pattern. I like the Al's rat type on a scud hook. Super easy to tie and seem to work for me atleast. Also like the wound copper body with a wisp of dubbing on a size 20 scud. More like a brassie nymph i think, but no bead.

Also, small egg patterns have been working for me...cream, light pink.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 22:24

From Pittsburgh
As you get into Dec and the colder months, stoneflies are a good choice (for those streams that have stoneflies.) Stoneflies "nymphs" remain active and thus are a food source for the trout.
As suggested, try a big stone with a midge dropper and nymph fish during the fall / winter.

Posted on: 2013/10/29 2:44

From Hunker
I too am from SWPA, and fish the Yough, Laurel, Loyalhanna, and a few other streams around and my most productive midge patterns have been the zebra midge in black and red size 18-22. I do prefer the smaller ones as a dropper. Olive does work well too. Sometimes I even tandem 2 zebra midges, sz18 bead head black followed by 12-16 inches of tippet and then a 22 red one or olive. Another fly in midge size that works well around here also in fall is a rainbow warrior

Posted on: 2013/11/1 3:22
"Ours is the grandest sport. It is an intriguing battle of wits between an angler and a trout; and in addition to appreciating the tradition and grace of the game, we play it in the magnificent out-of-doors."
~ Ernest G. Schwiebert, Jr.

From Western Pa
Do you happen to have a specific pattern of that Rainbow? And a size? Thank you for posting!

Posted on: 2013/11/3 21:05

From Ferguson Twp.
Rainbow Warrior:

Bead: silver tungsten
Thread: red
tail: pheasant tail
body: UTC pearl tinsel lg.
thorax: rainbow sow-scud dubbing
wing case: UTC pearl tinsel lg.
Size could be whatever you're comfortable tying.

Posted on: 2013/11/4 6:33

From Gettysburg
Quote:

PorkChop wrote:
Any colors that work best in MIDGE for Fall? What colors are most effective for SWPA trout streams? Any takers?

I'm not a southwest guy and only have basic experience with some of the waters in that part of the state. However, with respect to midges, I doubt there's that much difference from central PA. For midges fished on the surface or in the surface film, I like black or dark gray for probably 90% of the time. There's a school of thought that midge adults are darker in winter months. Cream is good for midge dries too but I use it much less.
Midge nymphs also work in dark colors such as olive or black with light ribbing. Red is also a good color for midge nymphs (not adults).
The next time you're out on a stream, pull up some rocks and look at the nymphs underneath - my guess is you'll find that most are small and most are dark colored. This is esp true when one looks at midge larvae. Another good tip (I think) is when you are fishing in winter and see fish midging, go back and look at your car. If it's parked in the sun, esp if its dark colored, midge adults will swarm on to it to warm themselves and you can get a good look at their color.

Posted on: 2013/11/4 8:06

From Cambria County
My go to fly during the fall is a simple silk midge. It's essentially just thread on a hook and I've had great success the last few weeks on them. Usually tied in 18-22. Cream with a black thread head or black with a grey thread head. I usually fish them in tandem under a tungsten rainbow warrior or a red zebra midge.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 9:18

From Western Pa
Would you post a picture?

Posted on: 2013/11/5 17:36

From Cambria County
Hmmm. Not too sure how to post a pic while using an iPhone. Check your pm's.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 19:55

From Cambria County
Click to see original Image in a new window

Maybe I figure this out on the phone now! Here's a pic of a generic one off line I found. I'm away at work right at the moment but I'll post you a few more pics up on Thursday when I'm home.

Attach file:

jpg  image.jpg (24.60 KB)
6457_527996b825002.jpg 500X329 px

Posted on: 2013/11/5 20:14

From Johnstown, PA
Griffiths gnat 20 to 24......GOOD LUCK

Posted on: 2013/11/15 11:50

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com