New member update

M

mhb2

Hi all,

Well I purchased a new 8'6" mid flx rod. Singed up and went to trout class. Did catch my first steelhead during the on stream instruction and had serval others on for a while but lost. I learned a lot had a great time fishing with some other beginners.
I have been able to get out quite a bit and have had some success with streamers catching 3 trout. I have had problems nymph fishing.
I have been out quite a few times with no luck and the other night while I was out, another guy came in on the upper side of me. He was high stick nymphing and catching one after another. I sort of backed out of the creek and let him fish down and when he was within talking distance I told him I was a beginner and asked if he could give me any pointers. He very politely told me he wasn't into teaching. I did notice that he didn't use an indicator and kept his line very tight. He seemed to be using very little weight as he was casting quite a distance with little effort.
I was using a tandem nymph with 2 heavy split shot and an indicator with which I was having no luck. Went home that evening read a few posts and watched a few nymph videos. I returned next day with same amount of luck when basically same thing happened with a different guy. I then took off my indicator feeling that may be carrying my line to fast, then added a 3rd split shot. On my second drift I caught my first trout on a nymph.
My question is I have a lot of trouble casting this much weight and my line still appears to be moving quicker than either of those guys drifts were going. Any help would be appreciated.

What weight is your line/rod? How long leader/tippet? What's a large split shot? Obviously, you wanna keep as much line off the water as possible. There are literally a hundred things it could be without the above information. Even then it could be a bunch of different stuff but it could help narrow it down.

I have 5 weight rod. 9' tapered 4x leader with 2' 4x tipet. The flies are 18" apart with the shot 10" above the highest fly. 1/8 oz shot

Sounds about right to me. Maybe try some different line weights, or maybe just a little more practice. I'm sure those fellas you were watching didn't get it overnight. I know I'm still learning after quite a few years at it, and I fish at least 5 days a week.

So your total leader with tippet is 11'? That may be a little long til you get the hang of it. I prefer mine about 2 feet shorter, sometimes even less. Hard to turn over much weight especially on smaller streams.

Back