Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

New leader time.

From Lancaster, PA
Ok I need to intsall a new leader. What is the norm? Are people using a perfection loop or a blood knot or another alternative? Currently it has a blood knot but I must admit I have trouble tying it. What is common?

Posted on: 2010/4/21 17:57

Re: New leader time.

I use perfection loops and if the new leaders doesn't have one on it at the time of purchase I just add one. Helps make experimenting that much easier.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 19:04

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
If your flyline already has a loop use a loop to loop connection, otherwise use a nail knot.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 19:05

From Bozeman
I would recommend adding a loop if there is none. This enables you to carry multiple leaders, and to change easily on the stream. Unless I'm using furled, I switch leaders whenever I switch between dries, nymphs, and streamers. Harvey, straight tippet with amnesia butt, and a leader tapered to 12lb test respectively. As a beginner, I would have had no use for all of those leaders, but I think it's good to set your rig up for a quick change, should you decide you want to experiment.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 20:38

From Lancaster, PA
Well I spent the last few hours tying blood knots. I am pretty comfortable with them now. I think the loop work be way easier way to switch at a creek side. I am pretty sure this is the way I will go next time. I do not have a welded loop at the end of my line. Is there an advantage to one rather than tying a loop?

Posted on: 2010/4/21 20:42

From Bozeman
I usually cut my welded loops off when a line comes with them.

Cut the end of the line at a 45 degree angle, so that it fits nicely together when you loop it.

Create the loop and pinch it with your fingers or a tying vise.

Use heavy tying thread to secure the wrap shut. I like to use bright colors as kind of a strike indicator.

Whip finish it or throw a few half hitches in.

Cover it with knotsense or super glue.

I haven't found a good picture yet, but it basically looks like a welded loop with thread covering the base.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 20:45

From The Hilton
Is your way that much better jay?

Posted on: 2010/4/21 21:47

From Bozeman
Than a welded loop?

Yes. I've had a few welded loops fail. I never have had one of the whipped loops come close.

Is it better than a nail knot? I think so. Changing leaders is important to me. You could nail knot some heavy mono and loop it, but I think the welded loop casts nicer, and it's indestructible.

The braided connectors have cost me fish, and they sink.

I have yet to find a better solution.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 21:52

From Lehigh Valley
I started with the leader directly nailknotted to the line. I hated it, because I hated cutting the end of the line off to replace it.

I then moved to the piece of Amnesia nailknotted with the perfection loop, then I just tie it into the butt of the leader. When I ran out of the little bit of Amnesia I copped from the Cabela's winding table, I just used heavy mono.

Then the whipped loops, and I wasn't a fan. THey seemed too prone to sink or soak water and slap down.

Now, I've got some welded loops, and I find it far superior to the whipped loop, and it'll definatly float better.

Lines without the welded loops get hand-twisted lenghts of red mono to make a 4" long piece with a loop on the end. A couple of nail knots to keep it on the end, and I'm done.

Edit: http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newb ... id=163463#forumpost163463

Posted on: 2010/4/21 21:57

From Lehigh Valley
Interesting take on why you dislike the welded loops, I haven't been burned yet, but I can see why you might be leery.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 21:58

From Bozeman
As the line ages, it's the first place where it splits and cracks. The first time I used a whipped loop, I did it because the welded loop was failing. I still have a welded loop on one or two lines because I'm lazy. Fishability-wise, they are nice. Until I got over the fear of doing the whipped loops, I always bought lines with welded ones. Durability is where they stink, IMO. For that same reason, I fear they'll fail on me when I hook a fish.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 21:59

From Lehigh Valley
I'd be more likely to put a nail knot over the place where the welded loop melds or just thread wrap the whole thing.

I don't like cutting the line tip because it'll let the core wick water into it.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 22:01

From Bozeman
Never thought of that. I think knotsense might prevent it. Super glue... probably not.

Drawing board time.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 22:03

From Lehigh Valley
Problem with superglues is they dry into something hard, which is just prone to then crack the coating of the line (and let water wick in) where the glue stops and that constant flexing from the casting.

If I understand, Knotsense and Pilobond are both soft, but I haven't had to really cross this bridge other than my abbreviated experience with whipped loops.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 22:06

From Lancaster, PA
Found this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFluzChZSlo
It was an ok video on how a whipped loop is done. He used nail polish to glue it. I would think for sure that would be hard and crack. Good replies and info from all. I appreciate it. Thanks

Posted on: 2010/4/21 22:14

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
123 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com