New flyline

F

flynoob

Looking to purchase some new flyline for my 4wt. I've heard great things about RIO's products. However there are a lot of different makes and models. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

What type of fishing do you prefer or do mostly? Short casts, long cast, mostly dries, mostly nymphs, streamers? I can help narrow it down with some more info.

Yes, like many other things in fly fishing, it is needlessly complex.

You have a 4wt rod. Buy a 4 weight double taper line. If you want Rio, life is easy, they only make one. "Rio Trout LT."

I have a Rio Gold, which is WFF (Weight Forward Floating) and like it a lot. It's pricey though. Is it worth it? Jury is still out....

My experience with Rio fly line has been anything but satisfactory. I've owned a 3 and 5 weight line and within 1 year the coating was cracking on both and I take excellent care of my lines.

A tremendously underrated line is Ridge Airflow Tactical Trout.

Another really great line, especially if you do a lot of roll casting, is the Wolff Triangle Taper line. The TT line is to a degree a long weight forward line meaning if you go about 30 feet into the line from the tip you'll find the fattest part of the line. From 30 feet to 90 feet the line is a thin running line and from 30 feet to the tip it is one continuous decreasing taper. The benefit of this taper when it comes to roll casting is larger diamer line is continually turning over smaller diameter line. In a weight forward line you may be roll casting where thinner line is trying to turn over heavier line until it reaches the from taper portion and this is not an efficient means of transferring energy.

I have Wulffs TT line in a 6 weight. I bought it for a rod I use mainly for nymph fishing. It does work very nice. Rollcast are easy with this line. I bought mine in Ivory (looks like white to me). If I high stick without an indicator I just watch the end of the flyline. I would recommend this line.

Go to Wal Mart and buy some Cortland Fairplay for $12.95 in WF. Thats what I have on my new custom built rod, it catches trout for me.

GreenWeenie wrote:
My experience with Rio fly line has been anything but satisfactory. I've owned a 3 and 5 weight line and within 1 year the coating was cracking on both and I take excellent care of my lines.

A tremendously underrated line is Ridge Airflow Tactical Trout.

Another really great line, especially if you do a lot of roll casting, is the Wolff Triangle Taper line. The TT line is to a degree a long weight forward line meaning if you go about 30 feet into the line from the tip you'll find the fattest part of the line. From 30 feet to 90 feet the line is a thin running line and from 30 feet to the tip it is one continuous decreasing taper. The benefit of this taper when it comes to roll casting is larger diamer line is continually turning over smaller diameter line. In a weight forward line you may be roll casting where thinner line is trying to turn over heavier line until it reaches the from taper portion and this is not an efficient means of transferring energy.

Green Weenie,
Talking about Rio line cracking, do you fish a lot in cold weather? I think I have the Wolff Triangle line, on my 8/9 rod, I had it for a few years and never used it yet.

4 year old Rio lines on 4 of my outfits and have never had a problem with them. Fished year round for a total of 173 days last year.

I have Airflo Ridgeline Tactical Trout in 5 wt. I love it.

Yes, I do fish year round.

Both Rio lines were bought in the spring and by the following spring the coating cracking on both. These lines actually replaced Cortland 444 lines that I had for over 20 years and they still are in decent shape.

I've had my first Ridge line for 5 years now and it's still in great shape and floats well.

I'm not set on one brand, years ago I used Aircell Supreme most of the time. I have cortland 444 on my 4wt., Wulff line on my 8/9, On my 3wt. I only know it's DT because I had to get some one to order it because everyone went to WF. On the new rod I built I have Cortland Fair Play, thats about as cheap as you can go, $12.95, I'm testing it to see what size line I'm going to use and have no complaints about it, thats the line I'm useing today. I fished more this winter than I did last summer, and it was a cold winther. when everything is freezing up it's a lot harder on your line. Most line will last me a long time.

I have 2 Rio lines and have had them for about 5 years and my main line is just now starting to wear/crack.

The folks on Classic Antique tackle seem to think Rio is THE brand for their treasures.I think ones casting technique may have a lot to do with wearability.[sp]

pete41 wrote:
The folks on Classic Antique tackle seem to think Rio is THE brand for their treasures.I think ones casting technique may have a lot to do with wearability.[sp]

Also check your guides: pull a pantyhose through them and see if it hangs up,if so you have a nick in the guide.Often time just eyeballing it isn't a good way cause even a small nick is enough to cause wear. Good line dressing helps.imo.I have a Monic line that is vey good,imo.Also Teenies with sink tips are a favorite.GG

Another vote for Airflo Ridgeline

i have 2 scientific anglers lefty kreh lines and i like them i have the rio indicator line i like that and a scientific anglers wet tip express that i dont care for because it tangles the tip of my rod and is a real pain abd the other i dont know it was a cabela's combo line but i have had no problems with that either

Why not get a Cortland 444 in 4 st. and be done with it. They last and cast nice. Minimal care. Cut off the first foot to 15 inches and seal the tip. I have been using them for many years.

Back