Never see fish rise, can I still use dry flies?

Wildbrowntrout

Wildbrowntrout

I fish in a small stream just north of Hunter's Lake and I never see the little browns rise to feed. Can I still use dry flies?

Sure you can - I do it all the time.
The pools get most of my attention - starting from the bottom, to the top. But fish can be caught in riffles and runs also.
I like using beetles this time of year. But many people use attractor flies in this situation.

Give it a whirl!

Yes.

As dryflyguy said, you just walk up the creek and cast a dry fly into good looking spots.

This time of year it's getting cool overnight, so the best dry fly fishing on these streams is in the afternoon, after things have warmed up some.

thanks for the info i'll try it

In smaller brookie waters, the trout are rarely more than 24 inches deep. They can see disturbances on the surface. I have determined that trout were present many times by flicking small pieces of twig into the water at a bridge.

On small trout waters, I always start with dries, no matter when or what conditions. Only when this does not attract attention will I go below the surface.

They are not picky in infertile streams and they are dumb everywhere.

Yeah, on small, infertile brookie stream, this is normal, and yes, use dries.

On larger, more fertile waters, if they ain't risin on their own, generally dries aren't your best bet. Though even there often a terrestrial fished to the banks, or a skittered caddis, can entice strikes.

Went out to try it but on the first cast the rod snapped in half /:

Any recommendations for a very good quality rod outfit that is $80-$100?

Wildbrowntrout wrote:
Went out to try it but on the first cast the rod snapped in half /:

Man, that's bad luck for sure. Hope you didn't drive too far to - I guess - have to turn around and go back.
I've never had that happen to me in over 30 years of flyfishing (knock on wood) I plan on plunking some beetles around tomorrow

Well good luck!

Wildbrowntrout...Sorry, not at that price for a new outfit. If your just talking rods - you may find something somewhat decent in that price range. Check our Rise (online only). The 10Wt that I purchased from them is just a little heavier than my Orvis Clearwater 8wt.

Yes!!! Browns in freestone streams can be just as dumb as brookies.

Your rod snapped in half just casting it? I kind of want to know more about the rod.

Anyway, I know you can get a rod/reel combo at Cabela's for under $100. I've never owned or cast a "premium" rod, but the three Cabela's rods I own cast pretty well in my mind. I have one wind river rod/reel combo. The rods not too bad, but the reel isn't as nice as the other reels I have.

I also have two Cabela's three Forks rods that I really like. I think they came with prestige reels.

I also have to say that the fly lines that came with the rod/reel combo were surprisingly fly good quality. Whatever they are, I like them better than the scientific anglers lines I had previously.

Looking for an excellent low $$ flyrod ??
Allen Flyfishing http://www.allenflyfishing.com/
You will not regret any purchase you might make...

Frank

Sure you can blind cast caddis or stimi's, this is a terrific time of year for that

The type of rod was pfluger fly kit not the medalist

In the past month my confidence has soared fishing dries for native brook and wild brown trout. I have done real well fishing over rising fish or not. I have to agree with the above post - most of mine were taken on stimulators or Elk Hair Caddis (two very effective patterns that float like a cork and are easy to dress and keep on top).

As far as low priced fly rods, I totally agree with Jeremy. The Cabelas Three Forks rod is a really good deal. I purchased an 9' 8wt Three Forks early this year. I upgraded a bit on the reel and turned my sci-anglers magnum taper line into a real brownliner this summer. I have horsed around some pretty big carp with it and it has preformed great! I love the rod. I think I paid $59 for it.

I bought a Cabela's Three Forks outfit for $100ish a few weeks ago after snapping the tip on my other rod and not being able to wait for the replacement tip to ship. Now here it is a month or whatever later and I'm still happily using the Three Forks. I haven't even ordered the tip yet because I'm content using the Three Forks.

I'm new myself and don't really know anything, but I've had good luck with sulphurs. I've also been using hoppers lately and have done ok with them.

Back