net

smallie

smallie

When wearing a waist/chest pack, where do you wear the net? While I am on the subject, can you recommend a good net and. holder. Fishing for trout.

If you have a strap at the back of your neck, or a D-ring you can conect a quick release magnet there. They have a long coil cord that has more reach than you'll need. I carry my hikeing staff on my back conected to one. All you would do is reach back and grab your net and pull on it and the two magnets would release. When you are done with it, just hang the magnet in the area that it is conected to and the two magnets will join together.

I bought mine at an Orvis shop, I paid a little over 30 dollars after tax for it. You might be able to find one for less.

Ya there are tons of places to get those rare earth magnet deals. Allen Fly Fishing - see right column of this page - has them cheap as does a lot of other places.

Get the magnet cheap because you want to spend mega dough on the net. Brodin Ghost. Get it, love it, profit.

My landing net rides in the middle of my back with various types of magnets or clips. Most nets have a hook at the base of the handle but I reverse mine. I like the net to ride hoop up and handle down in the middle of my back - it's a bit more stable that way and doesn't swing down as much when you bend over.

Do you have the option of clipping onto a wading belt? I usually have mine there, on a magnet release like the Orvis one.

Which is well worth the money, but the Allen (etc) is just as good and half the price.

I bought a simms chest/hip pack, just wondering if I could loop something around the straps on my waders for the magnet. My waders are simms headwaters. When I move the pack to the back, after I use it, just not sure how this will work.

Why not? If you will it, it is no dream.

Just use one of those fake carabiners.

I just picked up a "Wolf Moon Net" from International Angler along with
a "Gear Keeper" locking net retractor. Both came highly recommended by the guys at I.A.. I thought about getting a Brodin also but they are not made in America (Costa Rica) any longer whereas the net I purchased is made in Wisconsin. You can get the ghost bag on some of the Wolf Moon nets also. There was a notable difference in price between the two manufacturers. The Brodin cost about 20% more.

I was given a brodin ghost as a gift. It really is a sweet net. I wouldn't pay it, but it was an excellent gift. They come with a metal clasp that supposedly won't come loose. I still use a bungee cord with two clips to make sure, and that allows me to take the net off when I first hook a fish so I'm not fumbling with the clip when it comes time to use it.

My net has an elastic loop and I just tie it to my belt. That works for me.

i dont even use a net

I've been looking at those brodin ghost nets, just not sure if I can justify spending that much on a net.

As for the net, you get what you pay for. The $15 Eagle Claw nets will work fine, but the netting is not so fish friendly and flies will get caught in it. The ghost nets are so choice I highly recommend one if you have the means.

I either put the net in the belt of my waist pack at the small of my back, or you can get one of the magnetic releases and a small carabineer and clip it to one of the straps of your wader between the plastic triangle adjuster and the top of the wader.

no more bungee for me. My net got caught on some brush then let loose and sent the handle like a bow sends an arrow, into the back of my skull from like 5 feet. It seriously made me see stars. It's much funnier now than it was at the time.

That's happened to me too. It sucks, but I'd see red if I lost the net, so I'll take the stars. ;-)

This is why I don't buy expensive gear!

Back