Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Need some rod advice please

From Dauphin PA
Things you want to be careful about when buy "their" brand.....

Read their return policy very carefully.

EVERY rod of theirs I bought ended up snapping except one and I got my first one from them in 1986

If they phased out thmodel you broke, exect to get 50% of current value. Example: buy a 2 forks rod for $99, they discontinue it and it goes in bargain cave for $39....you go to return yours but they no longer have one to replace it....they give you 50% of $39.

Due to that policy and every rod (5 of them) breaking, I'll never buy another model of theirs. Their rods broke while stringing up, casting or playing fish. In 30 years, the only sage, st croix or redington I broke was in a car door. Last week my nephew plowed his pontoon onto my z-axis that was hanging out the rear of my boat. No clue how it didn't snap but I'm confident if it was a cabelas brand, it would have broken 10 times over. It's too bad too because their FT+ and IM6 were great casting rods. Never had one make it an entire season and I don't fish often.

Also, after you have 3 break, they check the computer and don't expect andecision to go in your favor. ec

Posted on: 2013/8/13 8:06

From Southwestern NY
phiend, another question for ya? i know you are new like i am, what's the chance you clipped the tip of the rod at some point with a fly? i know in my case that's exactly what i did with both my redington and my buddies st croix that i broke. though this time with my st croix yeah i'm a moron and shut it in the door...

casting can be costly especially with larger flies like clousers, ht efly that i clipped both my rods with. clip it once and that graphite becomes a time bomb.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 8:18

The chance I hit the tip with a fly is 100%. Multiple times. This is most likely exactly what happened, because like I said before I barely put any pressure on the rod at all when it snapped. It also snapped completely into 2 pieces. The one I shut in the car door didn't even do that.

Kray I hope I have better luck with them than you have, but as rough on gear as I am I doubt I will. I paid the extra $9.99 for the 2 year service plan or whatever. Guy said it covered everything except being lost or stolen. So hopefully it doesn't cost me more than a trip back there, which isn't too far out of my way.

I guess the point is I need to be more careful. Which kinda sucks, because I like to leap before looking.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 9:34

From Southwestern NY
practice, practice, practice! though sadly the more you practice the more you put that fly in "the danger zone" lol.

and hope the new rod works pout well for ya! which one did you get anyways?

Posted on: 2013/8/13 9:55

DJ, when I cast "properly" 10-2, it seems to hit very often. If I open my stroke a little more, it barely seems to occur. I'm not sure why, but at least I've found something that works for me.

I picked up a Three Forks. Now Kray has me wanting to drive back today to return it. Haha. I just needed something cheap to fish with Sunday. It did ok, and pulled in a nice rainbow and couple browns without self destructing.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 10:38

From Dauphin PA
If you are hitting the tip, sounds like you are moving the rod on a very flat plane which gives the line no chance to get away from itself. Try to put a bit of an arc in your stroke and slow it down a tad. I'll guess this will solve the problem.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 11:14

From Philly
I'm not sure how far down the rod you broke the tip off, but a tip top and some adhesive shouldn't cost more than $5-$10 and all you really need to put it on is a lighter...

I just finished my first rod, and I have to say the hardest part was committing to applying the epoxy. Any money I saved was canceled out on the effort, but it I enjoyed it, even though there were times where I might have cursed the process :)

Posted on: 2013/8/15 23:42

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com