Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: My Problem of Hooking Trout

From Philadelphia
Quote:

PoconoPaul wrote:
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:

As for the "experienced" guys using 9X tippet on Valley - they're not as experienced as you'd think.

I'd be somewhat inclinded to second the above, although Valley Creek trout can be difficult. However I've never used 9x on Valley. But I do agree the tippet size issue is a little crazy.

Let me qualify my remarks. On VC I almost always use 6X for normal year fishing. Had a stellar day on 5X with a caddis this year but during the winter months when fish in certain pools are only taking midges (size 26 to 30), 9X can be a must. Even needing 7X Flouro for nymphs too.

What I will agree with is that the smaller tippet is more for drag issues than sight issues though.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 9:17

From Albrightsville, PA
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:
Quote:

PoconoPaul wrote:
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:

As for the "experienced" guys using 9X tippet on Valley - they're not as experienced as you'd think.

I'd be somewhat inclinded to second the above, although Valley Creek trout can be difficult. However I've never used 9x on Valley. But I do agree the tippet size issue is a little crazy.

Let me qualify my remarks. On VC I almost always use 6X for normal year fishing. Had a stellar day on 5X with a caddis this year but during the winter months when fish in certain pools are only taking midges (size 26 to 30), 9X can be a must. Even needing 7X Flouro for nymphs too.

Fox, good point. I've never really fished Valley during the winter months even when I lived down in that area, but otherwise fishing all the other seasons. So I can imagine that small x size is called for given the minute sizes VC midges go down to. No point putting 6x on size a 32 :)

Taken as a whole VC experiences quite a bit of pressure, however over the years I've found sections where the fish were a bit less selective, a bit less skiddish and not so concerned with tippet size. These sections are far and few between, but they are out there none the less.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 9:25

From Lehigh Valley
Well Fox, you can disagree all you want. These numbers don't lie.

Varivas 9X is thicker in diameter than Rio Powerflex 8X.

Now newbies (and others) are going to be using 9X on Valley, because you said it is a must in certain pools. And if it works there.....

This is exactly how the 9X "myth" spreads. You should know better, and don't take shots at me if you don't.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 9:32

From Philadelphia
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
This is exactly how the 9X "myth" spreads. You should know better, and don't take shots at me if you don't.

I wasn't taking shots at you especially in open forum. You have your opinion and I have mine. I disagree with you based on my experience (or lack thereof) and info that comes from guys that have fished that stream for more years than I've been alive.

Sorry that you and I will just agree to disagree.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 9:37

From Lehigh Valley
No PM's, no texts, this needs to be addressed right here - so everyone can learn from this.

Using 9X tippets is NEVER necessary! Why is Varivas the only company to even sell it?

You agree that the real problem is reducing drag. Why not use something else to help fight drag? A longer length of heavier tippet does exactly that. Using certain casts like a "puddle cast", or "pile cast" does as well. They're actually easy for newbies to execute.

I'm not the only person here that discourages using ultra thin tippets. I didn't come up with these ideas by myself - I learned from some realllllly experienced midge and trico fishermen, over decades of fishing the cursed little buggers.

We'll definitely disagree if you keep promoting the necessity of 9X tippet. IMO, it's not just unnecessary, but it's irresponsible, and disrespectful to the resource.

Yeah, I feel pretty strongly on this subject, and I'd bet the majority of the experienced guys here would as well.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 9:59

From Etters,Pa
Here we go thier first lovers quarrel. Isn't it cute.....

Posted on: 2012/7/31 10:01

From Philadelphia
I am not "promoting" the use of 9X tippet and I'm certainly not promoting newbies use it.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 10:07

Edited by Foxgap239 on 2012/7/31 10:33:46

From Albrightsville, PA
Quote:

delta_dog wrote:
Here we go thier first lovers quarrel. Isn't it cute.....

Sounds like group therapy is needed :)

Posted on: 2012/7/31 10:56

From Philadelphia
After thinking this through, I see H-A's point about how someone's opinion can influence those new to the sport. Not that my opinion has or will ever influence anyone, whereas, I have used 9X and even 8X for that matter, it is the exception rather than the norm. Most midge situations 7X is more than enough with 6X even working at times. Other fishing like terrestrials can be done with 5X. Hell, I admit that 7X can be frustrating to use because it kinks up so quickly, so imagine how frustrated one would be with 8X and 9X.

I certainly had no intention of starting WW III on PAFF and apologize to anyone I offended because I have on occasion used 9X tippet. Let me make this PERFECTLY clear, I respect H-A's opinion and experience and that will not change even if we tend to disagree from time to time. I mean the Republicans and Democrats can't ever seem to agree on how to fix our country, at least H-A and me agree a lot more times then them.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 11:03

Edited by Foxgap239 on 2012/7/31 11:50:45

From Albrightsville, PA
Sounds like good pragmatism on the subject.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 11:13

From SEPA

I don't worry about offending any of you, so I'll bet he first to say that 9x is dumb. So is 8x. And 10x through 12x is criminal.

7x is mildly silly, but suppose everyone wants to go down to size stupid flies once in awhile, and winky little eyes is about the only excuse you have for 7x. Its an animal with the brain the size of a pea (or smaller, all things considered its VC), and about the only thing that's gonna offput the fish is drag.. If you're having such a problem with that, then either lengthen your leader or position yourself better.

I fish places just like VC all day long, and I've never felt a need to go below 6x. I admit I own a spool of 7x, I've actually owned it for probably 3 years now. Its still half full, even.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 12:27

From Philadelphia
Quote:

gfen wrote:

I fish places just like VC all day long, and I've never felt a need to go below 6x. I admit I own a spool of 7x, I've actually owned it for probably 3 years now. Its still half full, even.

As you and H-A have both said, and I'll concede you are both correct, you don't "need" 9X tippet or 8X for that matter to catch fish. Drag is the issue, I also concur with that. But much like your favorite fly that catches fish when no other does, you will stay with it longer when not catching fish because it is proven success in the past. Whereas you will change a new fly in short order for your proven pattern if you don't have quick success. H-A and I discussed that very issue Saturday. He swears by the CDC/Elk Caddis which I tried at his recommendation but I went back to my deer hair caddis with brown hackle because I feel I have more success. Does that mean the CDC/Elk doesn't work? Hell, no it just means I'm more comfrtable with my pattern.

That is how I liken my experience with 9X on VC. I got advice to use it from guys that fish it quite often and I now catch fish in pools where I couldn't catch fish before on small midges. Do I need it, maybe, maybe not but for me it works in those pools. I'll be honest with you, I do not like using it, first of all it is a b*tch to tie a knot in and it snaps off ultra easy when I enevitably snag a bush but I have success with it. I know that this is a strong issue with some anglers and I respect that, I just ask that I get that same respect about my wanting to use it in certain VERY specific situations.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 13:15

From SEPA

Will powers magic, ignorance powers >7x tippet.

Stick with the fly, ditch the nonsense. Your mentors were the same sort of clown that suggests you need these things for the Little Lehigh.

You don't.

I needed to use Rohypnol to get laid, yet I'm aware its generally frowned upon so I gave it up. You can to.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 13:25

From Philadelphia
Quote:

gfen wrote:

I needed to use Rohypnol to get laid, yet I'm aware its generally frowned upon so I gave it up. You can to.

LOL, I honestly can't top this. Thanks for the laugh. I wish I had never responded to this topic in the first place. Bad day for the Fox. Hopefully better days ahead.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 13:31

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Anyone else notice the least common denominator in seemingly all of our hot threads?...It's that darn polluted wild Brown stream in a National Park in suburban Philly I tell ya! Brings out the fight in all of us!

I don't do that kind of fishing too often but 6x is the smallest I carry. If I can't catch em' on that I don't want to catch them. The dumb Brookies I fish for will eat a size 10 Royal Wulff floating upstream attached to 10 lb mono!

Posted on: 2012/7/31 13:42

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com