Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Missing Strikes

From Bozeman, MT
It depends on whether you are nymphing or dry fly fishing. When nymph fishing you want to react as quickly as possible. I just wrote a post on our montana fly fishing blog about using yarn indicators for winter fishing to help detect strikes.

Posted on: 2010/12/21 14:00

I think some missed strikes are due to the fly being moved when the fish surfaces too.

Posted on: 2010/12/22 0:44

From Johnstown, PA
acritickids advice on "leading" a nymph through the drift is great advice and i don't think i've ever heard it put quite that way but that advice sums up a whole area of problem. You want to have control over the situation and you must have a tight enough line (no slack) to be able to feel the strike when it comes but not to the point where you create drag and your fly behaves in an un-natural manner. Dragging against the current is ok sometimes if you are trying to imitate something that moves that way but most start out fishing nymphs that should be drifted pretty much drag free. "Leading" the nymph (sublty) through the drift with no slack but not dragging it is surely a great piece of advice.

Posted on: 2010/12/22 5:59

From Clinton County, Pa.
Osprey, Good advice. I can speak from experience that "Leading the Nymph" really works. It works good in shallow riffles. You get less hangups in skinny water.

Posted on: 2010/12/22 15:25

From Clinton County, Pa.
Sorry about that I should have given aristickid the credit for good advice. Osprey your advice is always good too! Tight Lines to both of you

Posted on: 2010/12/22 15:27

From Gunpowder River, MD
Tight lines, try and let the trout hook themselves.

There are places like the Breeches and even the Gunpowder tailwater, where trout are known to shy away from your fly at the very last moment, and for that I can be of no to help you..

Posted on: 2011/1/3 18:51

From S.E. PA
Something here I want to add that I noticed with stocked trout is that they often miss the fly,but it's so close it's hard to notice.Almost like a last second refusal from an "educated" trout.
My point is if you're fishing over stockers alot and they havent had time to learn to feed in moving water on moving insects it maybe the fish and not you that is missing the hookset.

Posted on: 2011/1/7 10:46

When managing your line are you supposed to use your left hand to pull the line back towards you to keep a minimal amount of slack between you and the fly? I'm a newbie right now I've just been working with streamers casting them upstream and letting them come down past me until the line tightens up again before casting it back out. One of the things I noticed today when I was on the water was that with all of the extra slack I'd always have it would be difficult if not impossible to set the hook if a fish took the streamer. Also, are strike indicators like yarn, or even a dry fly tied further up the leader a must have for scenarios where you can't keep a visual on your fly?

Posted on: 2011/1/10 21:21

From S.E. PA
Yes if you're right handed.Also throw some upstream mends in the line as it comes down toward you.
As for the indy.....depends on many things,but for me the answer is mostly yes.

Posted on: 2011/1/26 19:34

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
31 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com