Looped leader attachment

zenherper

zenherper

Hi Folks,
I noticed after I set up my line that I don't care for the loop to loop attachment from my line to leader. It just doesn't appear seamless to me. I did it this way because I purchased the knotless tapered leader that is pre-looped. Is it acceptable to just cut off the loops and re-tie it with a nail knot? Or would you recommend that I just get new leaders? if so, what do you recommend for both 4 wt and 5 wt set ups?

The pre-made welded loops on most newer fly lines help keep water from wicking up the fly line, and help the tip float by doing so. If you cut the loop off, make sure you seal the end of the line with some waterproof super glue (Zap a Gap).

Other options:

- Tie perfection loops in your other leaders, and go loop to loop.

- Tie the leader butts to the fly line loop with a three turn clinch knot. Small knot, goes through the guides well.

- Nail knot a short "connector" section to the fly line - you can use a short piece of old leader butt material for this - and blood knot the leader to this connector. This allows leader changes without cutting off any fly line, and redoing the nail knot.. A one foot long connector should allow multiple leader changes before you have to replace the "connector".

YMMV...

The loops are doubled at the joint it actually turns over very well with the loops. I find many beginners that complain about hinging line/leader connections do not attach them the right way.

http://killroys.com/knots/loop-to-loop-connection/

Attachments

• this way.gif
    this way.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 4
  • NOT this way.gif
    NOT this way.gif
    1 KB · Views: 2
Heritage-Angler wrote:
The pre-made welded loops on most newer fly lines help keep water from wicking up the fly line, and help the tip float by doing so. If you cut the loop off, make sure you seal the end of the line with some waterproof super glue (Zap a Gap).

Other options:

- Tie perfection loops in your other leaders, and go loop to loop.

- Tie the leader butts to the fly line loop with a three turn clinch knot. Small knot, goes through the guides well.

- Nail knot a short "connector" section to the fly line - you can use a short piece of old leader butt material for this - and blood knot the leader to this connector. This allows leader changes without cutting off any fly line, and redoing the nail knot.. A one foot long connector should allow multiple leader changes before you have to replace the "connector".

YMMV...

I really like the idea of adding a connector piece. Do you also use a perfection loop on the end of your line? I think I did a surgeons knot, which may be why it looks so clumsy.

afishinado wrote:
The loops are doubled at the joint it actually turns over very well with the loops. I find many beginners that complain about hinging line/leader connections do not attach them the right way.

http://killroys.com/knots/loop-to-loop-connection/

I think I may have done it the wrong way. Thank you. I am very impressed with how many people are willing to put up with so many questions from new members. It is much appreciated!

I'm with Afish on this, but you do need to ensure the loops sync up right and having too stiff a material on one side will cause the loops to go into the latter picture and hinge.

Do you guys recommend a perfection loop on the end of the fly line? I think my issue (besides incorrectly attaching the loop to loop) might be the large surgeons knot.

If it came with a welded loop, its fine for me. When it starts to fray, I can cut it off and put a whipped loop into place.

No welded loop, right to a whipped loop.

I've done the thing with the piece of thick mono nail knotted then looped, didn't care for it.

When it comes to loops in the mono side, I usually use a perfection loop. It seems to be stronger than a surgeon's loop, which is easlier for me to tie. YMMV.

gfen wrote:
If it came with a welded loop, its fine for me. When it starts to fray, I can cut it off and put a whipped loop into place.

No welded loop, right to a whipped loop.

I've done the thing with the piece of thick mono nail knotted then looped, didn't care for it.

When it comes to loops in the mono side, I usually use a perfection loop. It seems to be stronger than a surgeon's loop, which is easlier for me to tie. YMMV.

Yup, Gary has it. Here's a link with a way to create a fly line loop if the line doesn't have one:

http://www.flyfishlouisiana.com/leaders.htm

Very useful information guys. Thanks again!

Here's a video that shows how to make a whipped loop.

I was hoping the bobbin would slip and smack the guy in the face, but no such luck. :lol:

I keep the whipped area much smaller, though. I cut the end of the fly line at a 45 degree angle, and put a bit of super glue on the angled end. I then pinch the glued end onto the fly line, allowing about 1/4" for the thread whip, and a nice small loop. Next, I wrap with the thread, and whip finish.

I cover the thread with super glue, and follow with a coat of epoxy or UV Knot Sense when the super glue is dry.

I've tested these loops on an old line, and the loop itself will break before the whipped loop fails.

I also like to use a flourescent color thread, as it serves as a built in strike indicator.

Back