HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Looking For Help With Fly Identification
From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

L_soult wrote:

Although my collection is slowly growing, I think I'm on the right track now.

I agree...so fess up....where did you get the first ones? and where the second batch?

Posted on: 2013/1/19 16:52

From Clearfield County
Some of the first group came with a cheap "ready to flyfish" kit from Wally, and I got a few assortments packs from Bob's Army/Navy.

Everything else came from Jim's Sports Center (a fly shop), except a few that were handed to my by guys on the water.

Posted on: 2013/1/19 17:25

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

L_soult wrote:
Some of the first group came with a cheap "ready to flyfish" kit from Wally, and I got a few assortments packs from Bob's Army/Navy.

Everything else came from Jim's Sports Center (a fly shop), except a few that were handed to my by guys on the water.

And there you have it....

Posted on: 2013/1/19 17:31

From Bucks County
Pardon me for jumping in here. I'm a complete newb to FF and I am feeling like a sponge; trying to absorb all I can from experienced guys like Maurice. I really appreciate this site and can't wait to spend "too much time" on my local creek this year.

That being said (and this is certainly a small point that probably doesn't matter) I noticed that you are mounting your flies
hook-point-in towards the slits in your boxes. That's how I was doing it and noticed that it had a tendancy to tear the foam when I removed them. I have since rotated them all 180 degrees and now I push the bend of the hook into the slot.
Again, with all the humility I can muster as a newbie, just my $0.002 (that's 1/10th of 2 cents).

Posted on: 2013/1/27 8:39

From Monessen, PA
See, here's the thing. You can push them in from above, vertically, bend pointing down, then rotate to level. But, when you remove them, you must pull the bend upward and remove with the point coming out last. Problem solved: experience teaches.

Posted on: 2013/1/27 9:08

From Clearfield County
Quote:

semperfish wrote:
Pardon me for jumping in here. I'm a complete newb to FF and I am feeling like a sponge; trying to absorb all I can from experienced guys like Maurice. I really appreciate this site and can't wait to spend "too much time" on my local creek this year.

That being said (and this is certainly a small point that probably doesn't matter) I noticed that you are mounting your flies
hook-point-in towards the slits in your boxes. That's how I was doing it and noticed that it had a tendancy to tear the foam when I removed them. I have since rotated them all 180 degrees and now I push the bend of the hook into the slot.
Again, with all the humility I can muster as a newbie, just my $0.002 (that's 1/10th of 2 cents).

That's a good point. Im not having trouble with tearing yet but I haven't used it much yet either. Putting them in bend first would cut down on the wear and tear. I'd like to hear how some of the others do it.

Posted on: 2013/1/27 9:08

From Monessen, PA
See above. I know this. I'm a hack, but not a newbee.

Posted on: 2013/1/27 9:09

From Chester County
Quote:

L_soult wrote:
Quote:

semperfish wrote:

That's a good point. Im not having trouble with tearing yet but I haven't used it much yet either. Putting them in bend first would cut down on the wear and tear. I'd like to hear how some of the others do it.

In the solid foam fly boxes, the fly hooks are inserted point first. The foam holds the fly in place. In the slit foam fly boxes (like the one you show in your pic) the hook bend is inserted first and the fly is held in the slit.

I like the slit foam because I bend down the barbs to make my flies barbless. The flies do not hold well in a solid foam fly box without a barb. HTH.

Posted on: 2013/1/27 9:20

From Clearfield County
Sorry Jack. I must have been typing while you were posting. Thanks :)

Posted on: 2013/1/27 9:20

From Clearfield County
Quote:

semperfish wrote:

I just flipped over all my flies. Nice and snug. Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/1/27 10:32

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
51 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com