Line to Leader Connection

Motley13

Motley13

I know theres plenty of ways and preferences for the Line to leader connections. Some people just tie the leader to the line, but I see a bunch of people using the loops. Is there anyway of making your own loop in the flyline to for the leader connection? Can you simply tie a connection loops into your fly line?

One way I was shown and really like is to take a piece of heavy mono (the butt section of an old leader is good for this) and nail knot that to the fly line, then cut to about 6 to 8 inches and tie a Surgeon's loop on the end of that. Seal the end of the fly line with some waterproof adhesive.

Check animatedknots.com for instructions on the Surgeon's Loop.

HTH

Perfection loop or surgeon's loop.

+1 animatedknots.com It's where I learned most of them.

Lots of options... loop to loop: tie a perfection loop (smallish) on the end of your line and another on the end of the leader (or buy leaders with a loop already on them. Nail knot (do a search) Nailless nail knot (what I lean toward- again, do a search)

There are also a bunch of different beads, connectors, loop ends you can buy, but every one I've tried, I end up going back to either loop to loop or nailless nail knot.

If you do use a nail knot or something similar a nice trick is to coat the knot with a waterproof adhesive like mentioned above, this will strengthen the knot, seal the end of your fly line and make it glide smoother through the guides.

Back