Late October-Mid November in Lehigh Valley

87SS383

87SS383

I will be home from Afghanistan for R&R between October 20 & November 15. I've fished the Monocacy from the lock to the Lehigh River & The Little Lehigh from the Hatchery to the end of the park with a spinning rod before, but have been studying fly casting over the last few months in anticipation for my R&R. I'm interested to explore new waters in the Lehigh Valley within 30-40 mins from Allentown/Bethlehem. I'm a noob to fly fishing, but I ordered a cheap outfit from Cabela's and had it sent out here to my base to practice my cast.

Now to the meat and potatoes. Besides guidance on good producing waters, what flies should I fish during that time frame? I'm only gonna be home for a limited time, and I would like to try and maximize my production. Any and all information will be a great help.

Also, I don't yet own waders, so any areas that are fishable by shore would be preferred.

Per the LL there are some good guys here who have a ton of knowledge, much more than I BUT I'll give it a shot and these guys can correct me if I F-up ... as long as we haven't seen any frost I believe I was told (and someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that the Tricos still hatch in the AM. BWO also hatch I'm just not sure when.

Not sure what dry's to use but you should nymph all the regulars, WB and also try some zebra midges. The entire LL, from the Hatchery down has fish and many of the guys have their favorite spots ... me I'm just happy if I catch a fish or 2 (lol) ... good luck and thanks for ur service.

Thank you for your service.

I would fish Ptails, wolly buggers, egg patterns and zebra midges on the LL.
Also have some Al's Rats and some small midge dry flies too.

Great talking with you today. Like I said earlier "THANKS AGAIN" for your service and get home safe. I know there are many that can help you up there. If you can make it down then we can get out together.
Best Wishes,
Mike

As others mentioned. Thank you for your service. I just wanted to mention a couple of my favorites. The Saucon in Hellertown, Bushkill Creek in Easton. Both Lime stoners. Use the same flies mentioned above. PT nymph always a good bet. I have done real well on both streams with a size 16 hairs ear flash back nymph. Both streams close to you.

Good luck,

GenCon

Thanks for all the help guys. Hopefully with the wealth of knowledge you have on this forum i'll land a few during my R&R.

Send me a message when you are in town. I live right by the Monocacy Creek. If we can work it out, I maybe able to show you around, or just point to where some fish are.

In case you missed my post in the FF Locations forum;
Anywhere from the hatchery road bridge down is very good. Above hatchery road its very good for over a mile but watch for posted signs, some of the land may be posted. Most of the creek is open to fishing though.
As for hatches, there will probably be tricos around, but not every day. Your best best is # 18 Baetis, both adult and spinners, the spinners fall in the evening.
There are always midges if you like that kind of fishing.
You can always tie on an Al's Rat.
Thank you for your service.

Back