Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Knot tying from fly line to Leader

From York County
This is what I use, it's hassle free, and yes I know you do not need a tool but it is sooo much easier for me.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 11:45

From Southeast PA
I Wont be able to go friday, maybe another day this week.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 13:25

From Central PA
Quote:

Walleigh_World wrote:
I Wont be able to go friday, maybe another day this week.

Alright dude. Your sitting next to me...this conversation is terminated

Posted on: 2010/4/26 13:26

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
I think I saw that "fairplay" stuff at the mart...I'd buy seconds online before that stuff.

It is, indeed, Fairplay. And I'll bet that's just another name for whatever their cheapest line is.

Walmart's a funny place, when you cut a deal to have them sell your stuff, they want it at a certain price, and so many units. I don't believe for a second that the stuff in the Fairplay box is going to be all that much different from the stuff in the 444 box, it just doesn't make economic sense to run so many different production lines, y'know?

So, between a factory second and the Fairplay, I'd probably go with the Fairplay. On a good rod I'm going to use alot, I'd probably be willing to err on the side of chosing a well known line than either of those.

I've taken to using the Fairplay tippet material now from Walmart. Its half the price of the SA stuff I preferred and more available. Like above, I mostly put the Fairplay on when I'm not concerned about things too much, but its good enough for me to use.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 15:51

From York & Starlight, PA
tomgamber wrote;

"You don;t want to have to e tying nail knots streamside anyway."

Of course not but one doesn't ever need to tie a nail knot streamside. Here's what I, and many of my friends, do. Save the butt end from an old leader and cut off the Perfection loop, make your piece about two feet long. Then use the nail knot tier tool or have someone do it for you so you now have the heavy butt nail knotted to the end of your fly line. Now make a Perfection Loop on the remaining tag end of the butt but don't make it any longer than 6" - 10". Now your all ready to take a new leader with a Perfection loop on it and go loop to loop and fish.

BTW I often will have the same tapered leader on a line for months! I always buy tapered leaders that are 9' long and 1X size heavier than what I want. Then I tie a very small Perfection Loop at the very end of the tapered leader and at home I'll tie up half a dozen tippets, say 5X, 24" - 36" long with a Perfection loop on one end then just loop the tippet to the loop at the end of the leader. When it gets short unloop it, and put on another pre-made tippet.

Some guys may say it will "hinge" with all the loops - I say horse puckey to that and I've never felt there is one iota of difference between the loop to loops or tippets attached via blood knots.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 17:00

From Lehigh Valley
It was obvious to see, but I overlooked it for 18 months anyways.

When you connect a loop-to-loop, watch how you snug it up. Done properly, it will form a square not; improperly it will just cinch around and form that hinge point.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 21:45

From Central PA
Quote:

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
This is what I use, it's hassle free, and yes I know you do not need a tool but it is sooo much easier for me.

WOW. That thing is pretty nifty

Posted on: 2010/4/26 21:54

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

From Southeast PA
Im jealous of that tool, that youtube video makes it seem so easy, do you have any problems with it? it doesnt seem like you would but you never know

Posted on: 2010/4/27 9:05

From Lehigh Valley
That's the same basic tool as the nippers version I have, just with only the nail knot functionality: No, there is no problem with it at all. In the beginning, I used it so infrequently I had to track down instructions, but used nail knots very frequently (new lines and changing out the old attachment methods), I have no problem.

I've even doubled up the fly line and then laid down two nail knots in a row for rear loops (put a bimini twist into the backing), and I'm pleased as punch.

Posted on: 2010/4/27 10:36

From Southeast PA
im definitely going to try and get one ASAP. Considering i wanna get weighted forward line. It would make my life so much easier in the long run.

Posted on: 2010/4/27 10:59

Re: Knot tying from fly line to Leader #2

From Lehigh Valley
Nail knot a piece of mono on the end with a perfection loop in the end. Perfection loop your leaders, problem mostly solved.

The perfection loop is easy, and any good fly shop should help you with a nail knot if you can't get it with practice. I own a tool called a Tie-Fast (functionally the same as this that makes nail knots completely painless. I bought mine at Dick's or Walmart, and it was well worth the $10 I paid for it.

I would second the above advice and add that I use a piece of #25 Amnesia mono either in Hi-Vis Red or Chartruse. The Tie-Fast tool makes and excellent knot and I usually hit it with some UV glue (LOON) the colored mono acts just like a strike indicator and straightens out nice even when on the spool for a while. I use about a 10 to 12 inch piece and loop my leader directly to it.

Jeff

Posted on: 2010/4/27 15:39

From Central PA
Today on hay creek

Me: What are you doing (as he is poking his rod into the water)
Walleigh World: "Dude, my leader fell off!"
Me: Haahaha well get it!
Walleigh World: *More poking* AHA! Got it.

His knot didnt hold lol. SO I tied a surgeons knot just to hold for the rest of the day...he caught 3 more with that huge knot haha

Posted on: 2010/4/27 21:02

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

From Southeast PA
Thank god i had that split shot on, or i would have been diving in after that. that had 2 flies an indicator AND the split shot lol, i really need a nail knot tool

Posted on: 2010/4/27 21:35

From pittsburgh
yeah i use a fast tye there are a fe wother knots you can tie with it too but i forget what the were the gryp knot and there was something else i lost the destructions

Posted on: 2010/5/14 21:11

-me

From Pittsburgh
Nothing against the venerable nail knot, but I much prefer a loop to loop connection. Especially for larger fish (salt water especially!)

Posted on: 2010/5/14 22:40

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
46 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com