how to

H

hof52

Pretty simple question..Whats the best way to tie a tandem nymph rig i no its a common thing to do im just not sure how to go about it.
Thanks
adam

I tie on my first nymph w/ a clinch knot like normal. Then I take apiece of tippet and tie a clinch know on the bend of the hook of the first fly. Then tie last fly to the end of that tippet.

I do the same w/ dry/dropper.

http://frontrangeanglers.info/newsletter/aug12/images/3-Fly_3_dry_dropper_large.png

Google it, there are tons of different set ups.

Does the tippet being attatched to the first nymph affect the chances of a hook up on that fly

hof52 wrote:
Does the tippet being attatched to the first nymph affect the chances of a hook up on that fly

It is generally thought to have little or no effect.

Everyone does it a little different. I don't do it to the bend of the hook. I typically leave a long tag end on a blood knot and tie the dropper to that. Once I use up my usable space on that dropper, I snip it off at the knot, and clinch knot a new piece above the blood knot, so that the knot serves as a "stop" to keep it from sliding down towards the point fly.

Main reason is that I often use heavy flies for the dropper, and if you snag it up, you don't typically lose both flies. Also, sometimes if I'm changing weights a lot, I won't put a fly on the dropper at all and instead put my shot there on an open ended dropper piece. Easy to change weights, and if you snag up, they usually pull right off without losing the whole rig.

I am assuming you are swinging 2 wet. I do the same as pcray1231. It lets the dropper fly swing better and tying to the hook has to limit the hooking from the dropper. We can argue how much but at least a little. I moved to Boilingsprings 35 yrs, ago and was taught by a few guys that had done it for a long time. If the tie to the hook was best I would assume they would have done it. Droppers of a dry is different. Then I tie to the rear of the hook. Both will work.

I rarely fish traditional wets. Probably to my detriment, I know it's an effective method, just never got into it. The rig I described is typically used for high stick nymphing the deep, fast areas.

For a dry dropper, I keep the tippet short and just tie on a dry like normal. Then from there I attach another line to the EYE of that hook, and the dropper goes on that. I just think tying to the eye effects flotation a little less, and is a touch easier to tie on.

I've hooked trout on both flies (not at once). I wasn't taught so I just did it the obvious way. I think I'll try the othe method mentioned here and see how it goes.

-attach tippet to the hook bend

-attach to the eye of first fly's hook eye

-Tie a tippet ring at end of tippet. tie 6" for dropper, 12"-18 for anchor

-tie in anchor fly first, complete double/tripple surgeon know above the anchor

I think the best thing about having two seperate lines is the amount of movement that the fly can then perform. IF you tie just off of the hook bend the lower fly can mover freely but the top fly may have its movement constricted.

mike_richardson wrote:
-attach tippet to the hook bend

-attach to the eye of first fly's hook eye

-Tie a tippet ring at end of tippet. tie 6" for dropper, 12"-18 for anchor

-tie in anchor fly first, complete double/tripple surgeon know above the anchor

I think the best thing about having two seperate lines is the amount of movement that the fly can then perform. IF you tie just off of the hook bend the lower fly can mover freely but the top fly may have its movement constricted.

hmm.

tippet to hook bend? I would suggest always taking tippet to first fly hook eye. because otherwise . . . what?

Never had a problem tying to the hook bend. Fish don't seem to care, I don't have to learn a new knot, an seems the action on the 'bomb' fly is fine, I catch fish on the bomb an on the trailers.

Phish_On wrote:
Never had a problem tying to the hook bend. Fish don't seem to care, I don't have to learn a new knot, an seems the action on the 'bomb' fly is fine, I catch fish on the bomb an on the trailers.

Absolutely. However do you literally tie your tippet to the hook bend versus the eye? I am sure you don't.

Tippet to eye > either hook bend or hook eye to another fly yes.

Tippet to the "hook bend" obviously not.

There ARE about 100 ways to do it , and my advise is learn as many as you can. Different conditions in the water you are fishing require different methods , some work better than others but they all have their place.

jdaddy, many people indeed tie it to the hook bend, not the eye.

he's being technical in that the tippet is the last part of your leader and you don't tie that to the hook bend you tie that to the eye of the first fly and whatever you do after that is your call. He wants to argue semantics.

Dropper flies are fun and I fish them alot, tie it every way you can and find out what works best for you. I won't be tying my next dropper off of the hook bend because I've never done it the other ways mentioned here. Who know's maybe I'll like the other way(s) better.

hof52 wrote:
Pretty simple question..Whats the best way to tie a tandem nymph rig i no its a common thing to do im just not sure how to go about it.
Thanks
adam

hof52,
As you can see, sometimes a basic question here on the Beginner's Forum can result in some complicated answers and general disagreement among responders. Fly fishing is a complex sport and that's a big part of its appeal. By all means try the different approaches here (tying to either the eye of the hook or the bend) and see which is easiest and best for you.

I have a lot of success doing it this way:

[size=xxsmall]dropper fly[/size]
_________/_________[size=xxsmall]point fly[/size]

I use the bottom tag of a surgeons knot for the dropper. To be honest, this rig catches more fish for me than tying to the bend or eye of the fly. Fly-fishermen for the last 100 years or so mostly used droppers to fish multiple flies and today's competition fishermen rig this way.

Only the fish know for sure, though....

man some of these answers make it more confusing even for me.

afishinado: I'm not following what you wrote. Would you go into better detail for us all?

"Absolutely. However do you literally tie your tippet to the hook bend versus the eye? I am sure you don't. "

Was speaking about attaching the point/anchor fly. WHat idiot would actually think you would tie the tippet directly to the hook bend on you first fly.

How many beers did you have before you got on the site last night?

Back